Someone screwed with my stand, a little..

Al Bundy

I arrived to my stand, tied my bow on the string and climbed up. Went to pull up my bow and noticed the string was wrapped around an upper branch. Literally looped around. At first I was like well maybe I wrapped it last year. But leaving stand today noticed no way that was possible. I was able to stand on a branch and pull up my bow and unwrap the string. A bit loud, a bit clunky, but only a pain in the ass and not dangerous. Wtf...

Doubt wind did that. The string hangs to about five feet off the ground so I can easily grab it. It was looped 10-15 ft above that. No way wind would be able to blow that much line. Would have hung up on branches, even if wind blew that hard.

No, somebody did this. And, chances are their either a jerk, or a relatively smart hunter (if they can be there).

They were trying to see if the stand is being actively used and maybe how frequently.

I prefer to take downed branches and place them in the rungs of ladder stands or into platforms, to see if they get removed. It helps you map out pressure.

Edited by phade

Could be someone did it, but I have all kinds of goofy things happen to our hoist ropes from the wind. Every year when we check our stands, we find them wrapped up, looped on things, etc. We dont generally just let ropes dangle, we will clip them to rungs on ladders or something else, just so the wind doesnt get them all tangled up during the season.

No, somebody did this. And, chances are their either a jerk, or a relatively smart hunter (if they can be there).

They were trying to see if the stand is being actively used and maybe how frequently.

I prefer to take downed branches and place them in the rungs of ladder stands or into platforms, to see if they get removed. It helps you map out pressure.

No wonder I am always tripping over branches when I climb your stands.  Nice of you to mention this to me.

I used to climb cell towers for a living, I've seen loaded grunt bags over 60lbs fully loaded on a handline catch the wind on a windy day and fly out to the point you'd think the bag was gonna empty because it was almost flying parallel to the ground, at least that's what it looked like. Hard to put in perspective behind a keyboard but my vote is the wind.