Would You Want This Rule?

Five Seasons

First of all, such a law suggests that the bow and arrow is inadequate as a deer hunting weapon and needs an accompanying firearm to finish the job properly and ethically. Forget the ridiculous impossible quandary that such a law would pose for law enforcement. What would such a law say about the legitimacy of the bow as an ethical and adequate deer hunting weapon? I think that coalition of  animal rights groups that proclaimed bowhunting as their primary target for elimination a few years back would be heartened by what this suggestion is really all about and what it is trying to say about bowhunting.

How has this became an acceptable way of thinking why do we as a society see it fit to restrict others because of what some may do? Do you not let your kids play outside because they may get dirty or do you let your kids go outside and tell them not to get dirty. This train of thought is very sad to me!

Does it make any sense to pass a law that make it impossible to enforce a whole battery of other laws? I hate to be a party-pooper, and the bearer of bad news, but when you make laws that make law-breaking easy and unenforceable, you have just written up an open invitation to have at it. Human Behavior 101.

I know in North Carolina it is legal to shoot a wounded deer with a handgun. I hunted there for 8 years and never once heard of it being an issue. Let's look at it like this, as a handgun hunter and a bow hunter both take a lot of practice to become proficient so for someone to go "hunting" with the intent of killing a deer with their pistol to then make it look like they killed it with a bow just doesn't seem practical to me. If a Leo sees someone dragging a deer out of the woods with a gun shot wound and a arrow wound and they have a scoped 44mag in a chest holster and are carrying a bow that seems pretty questionable. I shoot my pistols a lot and I am not anywhere need as proficient with any of my "carry" guns as I am my bow.

We are told to wait a few hours before pursuing a wounded gut shot deer . In the meantime , while waiting for the deer to lay down and stiffen up , it has to be in some pain . If it is pursued too soon it will get up and move on . Waiting is a practice that most people follow . 

Now someone proposes shooting a deer with a gun that has been wounded with an arrow .   ?????????????

We are told to wait a few hours before pursuing a wounded gut shot deer . In the meantime , while waiting for the deer to lay down and stiffen up , it has to be in some pain . If it is pursued too soon it will get up and move on . Waiting is a practice that most people follow . 

Now someone proposes shooting a deer with a gun that has been wounded with an arrow .   ?????????????

yep, I've already accepted the fact that if I shoot a deer with an arrow, there more then likely will be some suffering on the animals part.....

NO!

I'm with Doc.  It could facilitate poaching and make it impossible for DEC ECOs to charge a poacher.  certain handguns are more than capable of making a 200 yard shot.  way more range than your average bow.  what now we pick and choose pistol type allowed.  that's like another safe act just trying to figure out what you can use?? slippery slope in my book.  also I can see a deer turning into swiss cheese by someone going after it right away, jumping it, and then trying to shoot it with A "finishing shot".  probably happening at night too.  even better.  bringing a pistol for protection is ok by me but that's different.  I understand the desire to put an animal down quicker, but in all honesty if you can finish off the deer with a handgun you can use an arrow or it's taking it's last breath soon.

yep, I've already accepted the fact that if I shoot a deer with an arrow, there more then likely will be some suffering on the animals part.....

I within reason try to minimize that as we all do.  I'm okay with it too.  better than mother nature's alternatives of disease, starvation, freezing to death, or more likely getting eaten alive by predators.

...better off letting it run off a little to die in some kind of peace then having it watch something coming and hearing world war III gun fire.  many times when I shoot a deer with a bow it doesn't know what happened.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

I know in North Carolina it is legal to shoot a wounded deer with a handgun. I hunted there for 8 years and never once heard of it being an issue. Let's look at it like this, as a handgun hunter and a bow hunter both take a lot of practice to become proficient so for someone to go "hunting" with the intent of killing a deer with their pistol to then make it look like they killed it with a bow just doesn't seem practical to me. If a Leo sees someone dragging a deer out of the woods with a gun shot wound and a arrow wound and they have a scoped 44mag in a chest holster and are carrying a bow that seems pretty questionable. I shoot my pistols a lot and I am not anywhere need as proficient with any of my "carry" guns as I am my bow.

Whats to stop some poacher from popping a deer with a rifle  and then just sticking an arrow into it after its dead??? Not that any low life would ever do that…LOL!!!, but …..

"I shot it with my bow but finished it off with my Thompson Center Contender" pretty much covers anything …...

Im sure that North Carolina hunters are all 100 % honest, but up here some Yankees tend to lie 

I usually go into the woods with 3 good arrows and broadheads, one filed of judo pointed arrow and one broadhead that is kind of buggered up a bit just for finishing shots and close range. I don't get the inhumane talk. wouldn't you just shoot it again if you came up to it and it is still alive?

Same here. It's kind of what triggered the question.

Part B.

What if you knew nobody would abuse or take advantage of the rule. Some wounded deer aren't easy to put down with another arrow.

tough call, I've tracked deer that if were inspected after being killed with a gun you would have found a wound that the deer would have fully recovered from if left alone......some deer don't need to be "put down" after the first shot, because they lucked out and dodged a fatal hit.

First of all, such a law suggests that the bow and arrow is inadequate as a deer hunting weapon and needs an accompanying firearm to finish the job properly and ethically. Forget the ridiculous impossible quandary that such a law would pose for law enforcement. What would such a law say about the legitimacy of the bow as an ethical and adequate deer hunting weapon? I think that coalition of animal rights groups that proclaimed bowhunting as their primary target for elimination a few years back would be heartened by what this suggestion is really all about and what it is trying to say about bowhunting.

I see your point and understand it. I've never lost a deer bow hunting. I can't say the same about gun. My only thought is that when tracking, it's much harder to get an arrow nocked and on target to a deer who might only give you a few seconds to finish the deal.

At 30 yards I group better with my bow then any of my handguns other then some 6 and 8 inch .22s.

I don't see a big deal, poachers poach no matter what the law says . They shoot deer now with rifles in bow season . I don't worry to much about a guy with a 3 inch open sight mouse gun.

A flopping spine shot deer an arrow or a .22 in the brain. Who cares.

Btw 30 some states allow handguns to be carried in bow season with no issues , and many bow hunters I know carry.

Same here. It's kind of what triggered the question.

Part B.

What if you knew nobody would abuse or take advantage of the rule. Some wounded deer aren't easy to put down with another arrow.

I have tracked one wounded with a gun that were hard to get another bullet in them. Name of the game I guess and all the more reason to make that first shot count and not take low percentage shots.

• Like 1

At 30 yards I group better with my bow then any of my handguns other then some 6 and 8 inch .22s.

I don't see a big deal, poachers poach no matter what the law says . They shoot deer now with rifles in bow season . I don't worry to much about a guy with a 3 inch open sight mouse gun.

Btw 30 some states allow handguns to be carried in bow season with no issues , and many bow hunters I know carry.

Not that familiar with many other states. Can they use them to finish a deer during bow?

Thanks Larry this is my thoughts exactly outlaws will be outlaws someday maybe people will realize this!