Testies

Paula

smoked tongue is very tasty you will need to brine it and remove the skin from them . I use a ham brine soak it for 3-4 days then remove it and cut away the skin I then smoke them at 180 degrees until internal temp reaches 160 let them cool in fridge then slice and enjoy so people I know like to reheat also

as far as testies ever heard of mountain oysters that's when they castrate pigs in the south their then sliced breaded and fried and yes they are edible and not overly bad!!

Being a 1st generation Italian/American and my 2 hunting partners being my dad and uncle which both came from the other side and having worked on farms in Italy they are not scared to eat anything (back in those days in Italy nothing food wise went to waste). In turn, i will eat just about anything myself. We have eaten deer testes, brains, toungue, liver, heart, etc.. you name it...lol...dont knock it until you tried it...

• Like 2

I'm not especially squeamish, but I draw the line at eating testicles or brains...Unfortunately , they are very closely related in the male of the species..When one kicks IN the other kicks OUT...

I have tried tongue and do not like the texture...I'll eat heart and liver all day...

Reminds me of watching my Inuit guide, George Konana, dismembering a bull caribou I had shot...he was telling me and my buddy about what the Inuits used each part of the caribou for..

When he cut off the penis, I asked " GEORGE, what do the Inuits use THAT part for ? "

His answer was...." Not much.."......

• Like 5

I have eaten many beef and pig tongues and find that to be just about the best part. My grandma, mother, and now my wife pickle them along with the hearts. I have been tempted a few times to try a deer tongue, but they are kind of small to mess with. Pickled deer hearts are a special treat every year at our new years eve parties. My mother in law did fry up two "Adirondack mountain oysters" from the buck I killed up at their new camp last fall. They did make a bit of a mess when they "blew-up" in the frying pan. If you want to try some, I would recommend splitting them a bit with a sharp knife, before frying. What remained after the explosions was not bad tasting however. Fortunately, we also fried up the sizable heart and tenderloins with those that time, so we had enough to eat.

Ihave eaten them from a bull but never from a deer or goat.The tongue is not so bad when cooked or pickled the correct way.Would I try them yes Ihave tryed many things that would make you think I was from another country.Ever tried blood sausage or pudding made from Hogs blood?

I'd probably try mountain oysters if someone else cooked them, but not really that interested in ever having the experience.

Deer tongues are too small, but I've had beef & bison tongue a bunch of times..it's delicious. I have one in the freezer, I'm planning to brine it and cook it like tongue you get at kossher delis, serve it on rye with swiss, mustard, and onions. Bet it will be divine!!! :D