How did your Broadhead perform 2015

Billdogge

Montec, G5, Carbon Steel, 100 grain.  At 25 yards, I put an arrow through both lungs, and sliced across the heart.  The arrow continued on for another 15-20 yards after that.  I was ground level.  It hit a rock, and the tip bent, but the deer ran 30 yards or so, bedded down and kicked about 20 minutes later.  Never moved after that.

I purchased these, in part, because they are fixed blades, easy to sharpen, and because Montec has practice broadheads in the same design and grain.  The practice heads enabled me to sight the bow with greater confidence in accuracy.  They are expensive at around $35 for three.  Montec had a $10 rebate program, which they made good on.

Horrible, 3 blade rage ,never again. This big boy is thankful though. I haven't told anyone except for my dad who helped me track the 200 yard blood trail til it dried up. I hit him at 7:30 in the first days of archery,walked straight lines for hundreds of yards the rest of the day from the last blood spot ,we ended up getting pics of him on the trail camera a few weeks later which really set me at ease. It must have been a solid shoulder ball hit because it only entered the depth of the broadhead. Sick to my stomach for weeks until we saw him again perfectly fine.

Mine very similar but I think the fixed broadhead was the difference. Only type of hit that concerns me regarding mechanical heads. Good luck with that buck next yr

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I killed eight point buck with viper trick, arrow went right through, hit liver... He went 300 yards barely any blood,, we ended up following tracks through a soy field, and found him... I'm switching back to grim reaper mechanical.... Better blood trail..hope you have better luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here he is, so glad we got him..post-7078-1450539112372_thumb.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I shot a small, ahem...very small, button buck with a rage 2 blade 100 gr head last month. Looked like a 2 lung shot but turned out to be liver and edge of gut. Just missed near lung. Shot was very slightly quartering towards. 13 yards.

Deer went about 80 yards. But without much of a blood trail. Usually I've seen better blood with this broad head. To me this just goes to show that every hit is different. You just never know what you will get with a blood trail until you take up the track. But with any head, if you make a good enough shot, you should be fine.

• Like 4

Generally speaking, almost all broadheads will do what they are supposed to do as long as you have your bow tuned for them, and they are consistently going where you intend them to go, and you have your form properly developed and under control, and you take only high percentage shots. So really it is more about the shooter than the broadhead.

• Like 2

Horrible, 3 blade rage ,never again. This big boy is thankful though. I haven't told anyone except for my dad who helped me track the 200 yard blood trail til it dried up. I hit him at 7:30 in the first days of archery,walked straight lines for hundreds of yards the rest of the day from the last blood spot ,we ended up getting pics of him on the trail camera a few weeks later which really set me at ease. It must have been a solid shoulder ball hit because it only entered the depth of the broadhead. Sick to my stomach for weeks until we saw him again perfectly fine.

I knew there was a reason the 3 blade Rage were illegal in NY.........

Ramcats worked great once again. Pass through on a doe at 15 yds, pass through on a 9pt at 32 yds. The ramcat went through the shoulder blade and still exited the last rib on opposite side on 9pt.. 736f551cebab86742fbb470731b5b634.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

are those fixed blade? if so, I would think they definitely fall into the "barbed" category.......

Here is the result of a heavy arrow/broadhead combination. It's a 125gr Thunderhead screwed into a 50gr brass insert glued to a 32" Axis arrow. Snapped the bone like angel hair pasta.

Perfect results with a less then perfect shot. That's what I like about heavy arrows and fixed heads.

post-1433-0-32658600-1450584407_thumb.jp

Edited by nycredneck
  • Like 3

Here is the result of a heavy arrow/broadhead combination. It's a 125gr Thunderhead screwed into a 50gr brass insert glued to a 32" Axis arrow. Snapped the bone like angel hair pasta.

Perfect results with a less then perfect shot. That's what I like about heavy arrows and fixed heads.

attachicon.gifIMG_0538.jpg

Very nice. I've always been a proponent of heavy arrows and thunderheads for great penetration. I used to shoot 125's for years with 2317's. I now shoot 100gr thunderheads with 2315 aluminum. Only a slightly lighter combo, but still much heavier than even the heaviest carbon arrows. On a perfect double lung shot, even the lightest combo will pass through, but when your arrow misses its mark by even an inch or 2, it sure is nice knowing that the heavier combo with more kinetic energy will do its job and still leave you with an entrance and an exit hole.

• Like 1

Although I bought some drt s to go back to fixed blades (for no reason at all other than a whim purchase) I used grim reapers (100 13/8&11/2 razor tip versions) and harvested 2 does and a 5yo stud w no issues at all. Been using them since 2011 wo a problem. Beat mechanical I've touched. I got some rage hypos on a whim as well- gave them to a buddy. post-282-14506175708022_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2