From Dads Journal

RoadKill44

I’d like to share a treasure. It may not be as much a treasure to you (the readers) as it is to me. But, I want to share it just for my own gratification. The inspiration came from a forum post on this website where a few of you were talking about keeping journals. Your journals were probably different reasons but I’d like to express the increase in value to the family when the author is no longer around.

It’s nothing more than a portion from my father’s journals that describes his very first hunting trip to the Adirondacks but first let me give you a little background. Dad, at this time, was a single farm boy, 22 years of age, sixth grade education and trying to get by working for the town and doing odd farm work to get by during the depression. That being said here is the journal excerpt copied into text just as he wrote it.

November 1929

1          F          We put up snow fence.  I got my deer license.  I got a check for $63.00.

2          S          We did not work today.  I went out town and got the rest of my hunting outfit and

got everything packed.  We start at 6 Oclock in the morning for Star Lake.

3          Su        Thirteen of us started for the mountains about 9 Oclock.  We got to Star Lake

about 6 Oclock.  We had supper at Young’s Camp and stayed all night.

4          M         We loaded our camping stuff on a wagon and went back in the woods about 9

miles and got our tent set up and some wood cut and beds set up in time to go to

bed.

5          T          The guide come this morning and we started hunting.  We did not git any thing.

6          W         I saw the first deer I ever saw runing wild.  two does and a fawn standing about

50 ft away.  They stood and look right at me for about a minit.  We got one buck

today an 8 point.

7          Th        We didn’t get anything today.

8          F          We didn’t get anything.

9          S          We got two bucks.  It got dark and we had to leave one over across the river. 

One 6 point and one 12 point.

10        Su        We went over and got the one we left last night.  I missed the first buck I saw. 

We got one other one today a 12 point.

11        M         We got one today a 6 point. 2 points on one side and 4 on the other.

12        T          I shot mine - a 6 point.  Hugh Moag got his about twenty minutes after. an other 6              pointer.

13        W         We didn’t git anything today.

14        Th        We got one today – a 3 point.  Mr. Young come in and got all the deer but the

last one. We didn’t have him in camp yet.

15        F          We packed up and Mr. Young came in and got our stuff.  We had supper at his

place and stayed all night.

16        S          We got our stuff all packed on the truck and in the cars and started home about

noon. We got in Perry Center about 10 Oclock.  Clark came out and got Warren

Brown and I.  I got my check for $4.50 from the town.

17        Su        We all went down to Leslie Wright’s and got our pictures taken with the deer. 

The trip cost us about $21.00.

ggg

post-7255-0-54841900-1452363032_thumb.jp

• Like 17

Glad you read that post about journals and shared your Dad's journal with us. Very cool and awesome picture.

There is a whole section of member journals from the past few years on here that should keep you busy reading for a day or two.

Dad is the gent photo shopped in color. Unfortunately the old man is not around to answer all the question I forgot to ask back then. He had mentioned about half the names but I never wrote his stories down. I do recall him saying not everyone held their own gun for the picture and the one he's holding is not his. He had a Winchester 38 with the stock cut short for his arm length. There is more to tell and I'll let you all know when.

• Like 1

Was it a .38-40 or a .38-55 ?

I'm guessing that if it was stamped .38 win it would be a .38-40, probably a M92. If it was a .38-55 it would likely be a M94.

The diary and picture are absolutely precious !

I have just been going through a lot of old photos from my family dating back to the 1930s and 1940s,including some hunting, trapping and fishing photos, but I have nothing that is anywhere near as cool as your dad's diary.