How many use one of these?

maytom

Think I got one of these unit's when they first came out on the market years ago. Best thing to keep bugs away since sliced bread. Be sure to get the holster for it as well, holds an extra Butane bottle and several insect repellant pads as well. Wouldn't leave the house without it...

thermacell_1894_298689.jpg

• Like 1

I bought one years ago from CVS for $1.99.

For some reason they stopped carrying them and had a MAJOR sale to dump what they had left in stock.

They sure work great, but I'm kinda diggin' watching swarms of black flies bang their heads on the shoot through mesh of a blind these days.

I bought one years ago from CVS for $1.99.

For some reason they stopped carrying them and had a MAJOR sale to dump what they had left in stock.

They sure work great, but I'm kinda diggin' watching swarms of black flies bang their heads on the shoot through mesh of a blind these days.

I caught that sale and bought a few . Gave most of them away but kept 2 .

• Like 2

I caught that sale and bought a few . Gave most of them away but kept 2 .

I think you're the one who gave us the tip on that sale on another site.

They only had two left by the time I got there, so that's all I got, along with clearing out their .50 cent pads and butane bottles.

That was quite the sweet deal!

Still got mine and gave the other away.

• Like 1

Bought one for my brother for Christmas this year as where he hunts the black flies and skeeters seem to be pretty thick. I've never really had a problem with them where I go. Even after a long mile hike up my mountain and sweating up a storm Sometimes to the point my hair is soaked. I try to remember a few paper towels to wipe myself down as putting on a headnet this way sorta sucks. With headnet and gloves on though I'm pretty bug proofed. In a late morning lull the one year I went thru ALL my pockets of my vest. Turned up 3 different bug sprays lol. I never really even need to spray down. I just of course jinxed myself so be ready for a Live from the turkey woods post someday on how bad the bugs are.

On a side note : make sure you spray down clothes with permithrin before hitting the turkey woods this spring. With the mild winter I'm guessing ticks maybe bad.

I would have to look for it but there is a clip that could be purchased where you could put a scent pad with deer pee on it . The heat from the heat of Thermacil would supposedly carry the scent better . Problem is ..... the butane bottles can be a bit pricey . 

Im definitely getting one this year. A buddy, who I occasionally turkey hunt with, has one and it works great. I hunt in an area that is thick with mosquitos and every year they find some that carry that West Nile crap.

$25-$30 is well worth it.

Sawyers, Deep Woods Off, and Deet do not keep those gnats, black flies, or no-see-ums away from me.

Sometimes even the mosquitoes ignore the Deet and bite right through my gloves or head straight for my eyes.

May have to break-down and try the Thermacell.

• Like 1

I got one years ago on sale like the others. Cost a couple bucks. I think I have used it 2-3 times. I don't usually have to much bug issues. They can't bite through my hunting gear, gloves or hat.

Just extra stuff to lug, now this year may be a different story since my boy starts hunting and we are regulated to the ground cause NYS is stupid.

i use one most of the year.  i worn one out in the sense that the igniter doesn't really work well.  i take it hunting woodchucks from spring through until fall.  spring turkey season i use it.  during archery comps and hunting chucks in the dead heat of summer.  early warm days in the deer stand with a bow i use it too.  it works great even for the deer with a nose.  takes a little while to get heated and working well.  also not as good with the more of a breeze you have.  when have it sitting there have the pad up to work better.  also don't try to "get the most out of" your pads.  about 2 hours of use is what the box says even though it'll be still a lighter blue with repellent.