All Day Sits

BKhunter

As a general rule, I only do one all-day stand per season ..... that is opening day of gun season. After that it is mostly still-hunting. Bow season is 3 to 4 hours in the morning, and the same late afternoon.

My still hunting looks a lot like moving stand hunting. I take a few steps from one bit of cover to the next really slowly, all the time scanning every little feature out ahead and off to the side, and then I sit for 15 minutes to a half hour. Then I do the same thing to cover another 100 yards. I guess you might call it all day moving-stand hunting.

But on the gun season opener, I stay planted in a well constructed blind. Theree is enough hunter activity on that day to keep deer moving to me, when the hunter patterns are in place. After that day, it is time to actually do some hunting to find the deer.

• Like 2

I use to but years ago I started getting really bad leg cramps...so I started building blinds...blinds I can sit all day, but part of that isn't on watch. I have to lay with my legs up ,doing "bicycle" exercises...Ya I know but I have to keep moving to keep blood flow and oxygen levels up... spasms are the worst...I get them in my back from sitting as well.  Though I will sit from an hour before sun rise until 9-12..depending on certain "needs"..you guys have an advantage over us woman...:wink: then from 2or 3 until dusk/dark. Some times I get caught in my stand and have to wait until dark to leave..a few times I have sat until 8pm with deer under the stand not wanting to leave the area...Makes me wonder if they didn't know and were down there laughing at me as there big buddy stood farther out in the field...lol

I have a cell camera at my stand ,at the start of the season I typically see deer at all hours of the day ,so for me ,my all day sits start the first couple weekends until the corn is gone and they change patterns.

Edited by Jeremy K

It is my goal to get my two hunting partners to stay in their stands. I've done two in the past three years and I used to do around 5 a season - a handful during bow and then opening day of regular season.

It is a difficult thing to do however. Most of my sits are 1 or maybe 2 stands. Cell cams are nice because they've already shown that getting down from the stand or leaving the woods early has bitten us in the butt at least twice (once turkey, once deer, both times we were sitting at a diner instead of in our stands).

I only hunt weekends really, so its all day. I don't know anything different. its always dark - dark. eat lunch in the woods. mid-day i'll still hunt sometimes, but the first few hours of the mornings and last few hours of afternoon im sitting motionless against a tree on the ground.

While I have not shot a buck mid-day yet, some of my Dad's biggest bucks have come between 12pm-2pm. Can't shoot one from the couch, and never saw the point in leaving mid-day if your just going back anyway the same day.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

My Dad shot this weird racked 9pt in 08 or 09 on a December day with crazy winds just after 12 noon. Deer had a wound on opposite side of the weird rack.

7b161fe705833c33a4ae70680819ce5a.png

4 and a brow on 1 side. The other side is 2 and 2 brows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i usually try to sit as long as i can from mid October through most of November.  even if it means bringing an easy snack in with water.  that said i rarely can justify sitting in one spot the whole time.  deer aren't in the same spot all day, wind/thermals shift, etc.  between family vacations and deer stuff outside of hunting i rarely have enough time to take days off to actually hunt. so most of the days I'm sitting somewhere though on the same property and hunting all day.

I drive and hour both ways to hunt. With no shoes and uphill both ways :rolleyes:. So if I'm hunting I'm in it for the day. Typically from my ladder stand. I'll pack up the back pack with a thermos of coffee , a sammich , venison jerky and some other snacks. I've done as many as 4 dark to darks in a row. Extra layers , knit caps etc for in case I get a chill. Big fan of no gloves despite the temps but utilize a hand muff that belts around the waist . Stuff a hand warmer in there and I'm good. Yes , when I'm not seeing anything it may get a little boring but I've shot deer at all times of the day. I don't have any food plots or good food sources to hunt so relying on dumb luck . Fortunate to have dumb luck every year though. ( just jinxed myself ) I try a slow walk once a year or two to stretch the legs midday but yet ever to shoot anything this way. A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work. 

I have never done an all day sit in one spot. I just can't do it. I think I sat 6 or so hours a few times on a really good day in peak movement time. I hunt because it is fun why would I want to torture myself!! The majority of my hunts are before and after work and 1 to 3 hours. On weekends and days off 3-5 hours. I hunt a lot of spots close to home or at home.

If I am hunting a good drive from home I hunt all day but break it up with a morning sit, some still hunting mid day and a sit in the afternoon till dark.

• Like 2

Never done it. If I had limited days to,hunt I would max out the time by sitting all day I guess. I typically get in my stand as its getting light and sit 2,3,4 hours depends. The afternoon 2 hours max .

id try it opening day, but my guys can't sit, and generally one or more of us have something pretty early in the morning .

I no longer bowhunt but when I did I generally did the morning/evening thing, seldom if ever an all day sit.

Gun hunting, I sit all day opening day and sometimes on high hunter activity days, like Thanksgiving.

The spot I hunt in PA I STAND against a tree all day, because in that spot my visibility is dramatically reduced if I sit down.

I hunt mostly our own property ( 107 acres) now in NY and I don't stillhunt much because I don't want to chase the deer over to the neighbors.  I generaly hunt one of  ladderstands in the woods mornings and then watch my food plots from a ground blind from mid afternoon until dark.

Every weekend from October 20 thru gun season is all day at least 1 day of the weekend. I normally switch spots from am to pm but it bit me in the ass a few years ago when walking between spots with my climber on my back I ran into a group of rutting bucks about 60 yards around side of hill from me never ended up getting a shot bc a big 10 busted me. But still like to move as it breaks up the scenery.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'll head in just before light and stay until noon if there is deer movement. If they aren't moving, out at 10. But of course they move after I come out at 10! Then always back in at 1 till dark. I have two days each year for all day on stand, no excuses. The first is Nov. 10th, what I call the best day of the year. And the first day of gun season.

• Like 1

I'll do 2 or 3 all day sits every year in an enclosed blind. Coffee, sandwiches and snacks help. I've taken a sleeping bag up there at 10:00 at night and slept there so as not to get busted on the way in for a morning watch. My wife laughs and calls me crazy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I stay in the same stand. The key for me is food and a book

. I don't bother until November. I don't know why I even hunt mornings at all before November, they suck. In my opinion

If my memory serves me correctly you should skip all but the first day and last day. Didn't you shoot 2 nice deer those 2 days ? 

Most of the time when I drive 100 miles round trip to Geneseo and back I will do an all day sit . If I get drowsy , I might go up to my vehicle and nap for an hour and head back to one of the stands . 

I havn't checked my cams in Geneseo in quite a while and plan on heading down there tomorrow to check them out , replace some ratchet straps , trim shooting lanes if needed , replace some posted signs  and a few other tasks . Taking the ATV this time . I hope the pond field is dry . Even without rain , there is water left in the old pond and it leaks . 

• Like 1