LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Been in my stand since before sunup. Had a doe come through early. Never had a good shot. About an hour ago a small 6 chased a doe out into the food plot. They both hung out at about 50 yards or so. Gonna pack up and head to the other farm for the afternoon sit soon. It will be my first sit there. My buddy and his son hunted there once last weekend. That's. when it for that farm this year. Been driving down there glossing a lot and have seen tons of buck action. They are feeling nice and safe in there right now. 

Had an interesting morning and sealed my fate...Bow season just may be a no hitter this year...for luck is not on my side. ..I went to the garden blind at 6:15 ..it was getting pretty light out for I'm usually in the stand an hour and 1/2 early...I had one deer snort at the apple tree across from the bind ...but it wasn't a get out of town thing. Then up on the property line at 6:30 I hear a bunch of rattling and grunting and it sounded like they were in my tree stand 200 ft away. I actually unzipped the side window a bit to see if I could see anything...It sounded like plastic antlers...then it stopped. I waited and waited but never heard another peep from there then 200yrds away at the end of the lane way I see a dark figure move through the food plot headed down hill...but I also see another dark figure and a flash of white... Man this might be the guys coming up the lane way to me..I wait and half expect to start hearing grunting come from the property line, nothing.  OK  then I hear what sounded like a crossbow release..WTH ... was I wrong? was it a guy I saw?   Sat a bit longer and I figured with all the racket  I might as well take a slow walk ...need to check for leaf blowing anyways for the trails filled in again and it sounds like walking on  broken glass..I plan on hunting the mornings up here...I went to the end of the lane way as quiet as possible and I'm behind one of my stands and on the edge of the WR plot..up pops not one buck but 5  running every which way ...I freeze, then have one run past me and I swing the crossbow around to catch him in the timber to my right his vitals are behind a tree and we are staring at each other at 35 yrds. I click the safety off but the bow is now getting heavy. I keep sight on the opening just in front of his chest..when he turns away and walks off,no shot .

If he stopped ,did the others..yes they did! I have 2 in front of me and two to my left all around 70-80 yrds...the ones to the left are pacing back and forth one finally trots off to the farm field and the other goes down into the gully... Now I see a 6 point walking the gully in front of the stand where they were all bedded and it's circling around behind me...It has a bigger 6 or  8 bringing up the rear and the 3rd. has disappeared. It gets behind some trees and I try to back and slowly side step back to the edge of the lane way were the first deer ran... it catches me and trots past fast...about then I hear a snort behind me and I have a buck 20 yrds away turning to run...that one had circled back around on me . Now I have just one more chance and the bigger bucks rack is just visible coming up out of the gully. So I side step a few more times and we both hit the edge of the lane way at the same time...but there's a dip and I'm having a hard time judging the distance...his nose is in my scope and I know he'll hesitate when stepping out of the woods to that opening. He does and I have the cross hairs just behind his shoulder ..but which line? My brains going a hundred miles and hour and I decide on the 40 pin at a hair above mid way...I figure too close clean miss over him too far and I either have a low heart or a clean miss...I squeeze the shot off  but can't tell what the hit sound was...he is turning and running up into the woods...then slows and is walking to the neighbors...he turns and is coming back behind me on their place then drops down out of sight...I tried to get the scope back on him but too many trees...I slowly pace the distance and come up with 45 yrds. I have my eyes to the ground looking for the bolt...I get to where he tore up the ground at the shot...no hair no blood ..his tracks were pretty big...no blood...I followed the shot line past where he ran and no bolt anywhere...So I go back and ever so slowly follow his tracks through the woods...not one drop of blood and the last tracks until he hit the neighbors lane way where slow ,close together. though admittedly a  little too easy to follow. I had checked for the tail flicker and saw none...

So That movement were deer...I see the young guys are still hanging together and I'm sure my bolt is sitting in the leaf piles I had blown to the side last week...or In the nowhere zone with the turkey arrow...this bolt went after deflecting off a rock. Wow It was them up there fighting and they made such a racket of it ,it sounded fake...Then they walked the neighbors lane way and turned onto our place to feed in the WR and bed on the edge of  the gully...In my wildest dreams, I never expected to see 5 buck all hanging together this time of year all young  though the one I took the shot on was a 21/2 for sure. I think the sound I heard was them having a hit and run session before bedding or perhaps a tree falling...there was no wind this morning... Exciting but  when I pulled the cards on the way back 219 ,25, and 120... all huge doe,fawns,bucks of all sizes and ages...some during shooting hours. A skunk, cat, fox, rabbit and squirrel.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

Man...  I'm loving all these harvest photos across all the threads.  Congrats to all!  Heading back out for the remainder of the afternoon in a bit.  Hoping to have a photo of my own to post...

I think it is time you get one as well,you have built up credit with the time you put in. Now for a withdrawal...

• Like 1

Up in my stand for the afternoon hunt. First hunt on this farm for this year. I'm sitting a stand that's about 40 yards off of a 80 acre corn field, in some mixed hardwoods with a strip of thicker stuff between it and the field. Both cameras in this are have been consistently picking up a lot of buck activity. 

IMG_7483.JPG

IMG_7484.JPG

• Like 3

Had good activity this morning. Heard grunting, bleating, and crashing from inside the thicket, ~50 yards away. Had a 5pt come out and walk by at 10 yards. Not sure if he was the one harassing a doe or if there was a bigger buck in there that sent him packing. Saw a few does and fawns too.
Same stand now. Corn 75 yards behind me, Apple orchard 150 yards to my right, thicket in front of me and to my left. Perfect wind too.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Oh muh Lord...

I just pulled a camera card on the way back to the house, having moved a stand over the honey-hole entry point from the neighbors into our woods.

2 beast Bucks on cam this morning over a scrape I found about a week n half ago. One hour apart! First time ever getting video of Bucks working a scrape! Will see if I can post one in Trail cams. I think I got these guys once before in September.

I hope they hang on till gun season!!

The property has gone from zero to hero in under 2 weeks.

Nov7_01.jpg

Nov7_02.jpg

Nov7_03.jpg

Nov7_04.jpg

• Like 9

Noisey as hell walking in this afternoon! Glad I only had to walk in a short distance from the field.
Tried my best turkey yelping impersonation every 20-30 yards, to hopefully make any deer in the thicket think it was just a turkey walking in...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Noisey as hell walking in this afternoon! Glad I only had to walk in a short distance from the field.

That right there is why I chose to clear trails today..I reopened previous ones and the plots on them and managed to clear, for the first time, two major ones...no hunting this afternoon but will in the morning. Now that temps won't be as bad as they said...I can not believe the traffic these cleared trails get and there are a few heavy hitters using them...I have two on cams chasing doe around a turnip plot ant 11pm last night. A 4 or 6 with freakish tall  tight main beams. and a heavy set 8pt. I just got in and decided not to finish up this late in the day ...I now wonder if this will effect the cam pics tonight...This is actually a good info gathering situation. What will come in and when....Good Luck guys.

6 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

I get the feeling I ain't anywhere near paying my due just yet. Here's to luck beyond a very poor entry this afternoon.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

I always just hope for dumb one. "every town has the town idiot" I believe it carries over to animals too:rolleyes:  A guy can hope can't he?

• Like 5