Deer down, how do you react?

NFA-ADK

So you finally get your deer, what is your reaction when you come upon your downed game?  How did you react to your first deer vs your last?  Did you celebrate, feel sorrow for this beautiful animal or jump for joy and scream "I did it!"?  How has your reaction changed as you progress in your experience?

Deer one 2000 I finally connect with a buck after 13 years and hear a car key Ding after the shot?  Ding Ding Ding??  All I could think was "I did not know deer made that noise after being shot!!!"  Then I hear "he is down!"  What the heck I said?  I happened to shoot this deer next to a road that another hunter was driving on and luckily shot him before the road hunter did.  His kid was funny and said it was like watching the outdoors channel.  I was happy, shocked and elated with my first buck and later learned how to gut and that my first shot was through the heart.  Congrats where given and we dragged the deer about 45 yards to the road, easiest drag I will probably ever have!   I was on cloud 9 all week until the DEC officer gave me a ticket for not putting in the date, lol I was young, I needed the money.  Stupid me in my excitement forgot to finish the tag date, now the first thing I try to do is fill my tag after I stop shaking.

I took a 4 pt in Roscoe around 2007 and made a bad shot and had to finish the deer.  Never before was I so down that I: 1 shot a young buck, 2 made a really poor shot choice.  No celebrating this kill, I was really pissed off at myself.

After 10 more years in this remote area (Moose River Plains) and many heart-brakes at my failed attempts to get another ADK Buck I finally connected with a brute in 2010 after missing another 2 days before.  To say that my highs and lows drove me nuts would be an understatement.  They always push me to improve!   This buck taken in 2010 was really the culmination of many years of hunting and knowledge gained in books and by putting miles on my boots.  When I actually saw the beauty and large rack of this mature deer I was in a bit of shock and aw.  I think I screamed holy sht and are you kidding me?  I think a loud YES was also given.  If you where close you would have heard this.  I was overjoyed at finally getting a mature buck and could not hold back my enthusiasm!  I quickly called on the radio but produced nothing until a few minutes later my buddy Shawn called asking if that was any of us.  I screamed "I got one!"   Simply put I was in heaven! 

2013 I connect with another beauty in the Dacks This was a young deer I debated on passing but he showed me 5 antler points on one side and it was my Birthday so he did not get a pass.  After hiking to the last location I saw him I felt deep disappointment in not seeing where he went and got out the GPS to mark the spot, further inspection found the deer a few feet away from me to my left.  No celebrating or jumping for joy on this deer.  I was happy I took my 3rd buck in this remote area but felt bad for taking from the land and stated that out loud.  In the tradition of the Benoit's and in memory of Larry I marked myself with the blood of my prey so our spirits can become one.  I thanked my best friend Chris for his spirit was with me on that trip.  It was an emotional hunt with some very deep feelings. 

2015 After many years of hunting bucks only I was told I need to help with population control.  I was given the green light to shoot any doe in range.  I choose the one with twin buck fawns Again no celebration and I had little emotion on this kill as it was a high population area and I knew it was good for the land.

I promise myself that I will always thank the deer for the adventures they take me on, for the regret of taking a life off the land and for the health that I have to continue to chase these amazing animals.  I thank them for the bounty of food they provide and always promise to mark myself with the blood of my prey so our spirits will become one! 

I encourage all of you to do the same, especially if you are on film!  We tend to jump up and celebrate a monster buck but how many of us thank that animal for the joy, bounty and respect it deserves even if its a doe?  How have you changed over the years?  If you only have taken a few or even just one what was your reaction?  Will you pay respect to the next animal you take from the land?  One of the most amazing animals on our planet deserves this when you kill them!

Thanks Grampy This was posted before but in a different format.  Grampy's response was what got me thinking about this topic a few months ago.  You are a true ethical hunter Grampy good luck this year hope you get your young guy into some great action, he has an awesome mentor in you!  Keep up the good work!  Hope you get to celebrate and pay tribute to your deer this year!

• Like 1

First deer and last deer had the same reaction for me. Hugged and shook my fathers hand, got a few pics and started the real hard work. I still get excited for every deer I take..even a fawn or doe. I think the only Deer I reacted differently was my two biggest bucks. Both had different circumstances that caused me to smile for hours on end. 

• Like 1

Whether it be a deer or turkey I still get excited from the first to the last. I'll give an internal "woohoo" or if my daughter is with me she'll do the same and I promptly get a "nice job dad". Well this will be her year for me to say "nice job Samantha"

After tagging the animal I always sit and relax next to it and think to myself, "thank you for this opportunity" knowing I took it's life . 3 years ago I finally tagged a bird I have been hunting for 3 years I know of. Coyotes were under him one day, another day he gobbled I kid you not 100 times on roost and finally hit the ground only to be coming on a string only to have a complete sun shower start and he shut down, another day he was double and triple gobbling coming in fast. Another 2 year old beat him in to me from behind and spooked me by gobbling 10 feet behind me. I literally jumped off my fanny as it startled the heck out of me. Alarm putt and both were gone. Had old Moe coming to the gun finally at 11:45 and knew I couldn't kill him in 15 minutes so I snuck out, once I had him gobbling hard and thought I would move towards him for something different. I called and be dang he was right over ridge . I sat down and see only the very top of his head at 10 yards ,couldn't get him to crest the knoll and ridge any farther (should have scratched but was having 'gobbler fever" and brain cramped. I swear he could hear my heart pumping loud.  I sat there and he completely disappeared. The day I finally killed him he came in from behind me and gobbled at 40 yards. Thought "oh no, here we go again. Another so close but yet so far" I had to swing around completely and I scratched with opposite gun hand to cover up any noise I would make . He displayed at 32 yards, I putted to take him out of strut and let one rip. I guarantee this bird was 5 years plus. 1.25" hooks and triple bearded. Never have I killed such a nice bird and never had one with so much history. It was a chess match I was happy and sad to finally say "checkmate". I have never killed a deer with history . I can see how you guys see a buck on cam, miss an opportunity and then when you kill him how the bittersweet feeling will take over. With that nice old big 10 and big 6 on camera daughter and I have some meaningful attachment to a deer finally. Hopefully this year we'll be the year to shoot a "special one"  Every one is special don't get me wrong.

• Like 1

not any reaction. I get out my knife gut deer and start the drag. Never have gotten excited or felt anything. Not even my first deer. Hunting season is just another season like summer or fall to my. The deer are food simple as that. I have never cared how big or small the rack is it does not put a rise in me at all. Only thing that does is deer that do not get found can not stand when someone loses one. Always looked at hunting as a way to put food on the table just like our fore fathers. I do not think I could make my self excited about getting out hunting or getting or seeing any deer. It is just something I do.

• Like 1

I'm sure mine has changed. I do remember shooting the first one and being more focused on the scene rather than being elated. My first deer (a doe) was with a bow on the west coast (where I grew up) and when I hot her she let out a wail. I've never had a deer do that again, but I think for that being my first deer it took some of the elation out.

As for now, I immediately focused on where the deer is running, where I hit the deer, where it was standing, where I heard it crash, etc., so that I know how long to wait and where to start tracking. I only really get excited when I find it and then have a silent celebration in my head. I always have a moment with the deer and thank it.

• Like 1

First 5 or 6, my legs were shaking. These days, my first thought is "Now ya did it, gotta gut that thing, drag it out somewhere an ATV or truck can get it out, gotta take pics and put 'em on Facebook, 4-5 hours butchering, a night or two in the garage making jerky and sausage...."

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 3

My reaction has changed a lot over the 35 or so years, since killing my first one as a teenager.    The first one for me was a button buck from a pair that came running down a steep hill that my uncle and I were climbing in Allegheny state park (we had a party antlerless permit, along with my dad).   The family still talks about that 75 yard, full-run shot.  Truth be told, I was probably aiming at the deer in front, when the follower got struck perfectly thru the front shoulders with a slug from my grandad's old Ithaca 16 ga pump.   Intoxicated by the success, I pointed the gun at the other one, when it slammed on the brakes and stopped in front of us, but my uncle held me back (we only had one antlerless permit).  I was looking for horns and if it had them, I would have gone for the double.  

I  am pretty much a "pure-killer", meat-hunter if there ever was one, and it all started when I was a toddler when my granddad taught me how to fish.   I always looked forward to the "fish-fry" afterwords, and to this day I consider "catch and release" to be just the senseless maiming of a fine food source.   I do release the occasional big fish when I get them (see the fall smallmouth thread), but only because the small ones are better eating.   That button buck sure tasted good, and I continue to hunt them to this day for that reason.  My first bow-kill was also a button buck, as was my first late-ML season deer.    I see deer and fish as food first, fun second.  Antlers look cool, but don't do much else for me these days.  Now I have 3 more hungry mouths to feed and I feel very blessed to have a wife and two daughters who like venison and fish as much as I do.

It took me quite a few years (49) to connect the dots and realize that everything we need to be survive is put here for us by God, the creator.   There is a verse in the Bible that say's He knows where every sparrow falls.   That is the only book I have read (several times) that does not contain any BS.   You had better believe that He knows where ever whitetail deer ends up.  When I am able to assist Him in sending one to deer heaven (our family's food supply), the first thing I do now is give a silent prayer of thanks.   When I look back over all of the deer I have killed thru the years, I can see clearly that the role I played was secondary.  

It is almost time for me to get back out there with the Cross-bow.    A button buck, or small doe will provide us with just enough fresh venison to make it until next hunting season.   Our Savior has taken very good care of us so far this year.     

• Like 3

I stay very calm until I have my hands on them. If it's around the house I go get the wheeler or tractor and come back not usually much emotion at all.

If it's in the ADKS and it's a nice one after I can touch them I come unglued. Adrenaline mixed with relief shortly after that is when reality sets in and I pull out my Gps and realize how far back I am. When it's on the meat pole and I have a beer in my hand is when I do most of my celebrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I get excited still on every deer. I hope I never lose that. I am not one for hooting and hollering and some of those dudes on TV make me ill.

Don't get me wrong I am proud and have a sense of accomplishment for sure.

I will kneel or sit next to the deer and admire it. I give my thanks to the deer and there is a bit of sadness as well. I guess just a moment of respect for the animal that will feed my family.

Then it's to work tagging, gutting and dragging.

• Like 3

Great topic. I find all the fist pumping on TV shows to be a bit crass. Hunting is fun, exciting, but when I find the animal there is always the pang of regret, you have taken the life of a fine animal. Older Bucks and Does have seen a lot and run the gauntlet many times. They deserve a moment for their sacrifice. I always thanks the Lord for the gift of meat and the thrill of the hunt.

• Like 3

Well once I calm down from the whole encounter I play it over in my head. Where was the deer hit, did the arrow pass through or is it sticking out, where did the deer go, landmark last place I saw the deer. Text@jmp5008 tell him to come to me so that we can track. Find deer give a moment of silence get to work.... it's happy, sad, a feeling of excitement and relief all at the same time.

I'll say this I have had certain friends ask me to teach them to hunt and I have declined because I don't think they can handle the mental ramifications that come with killing a large animal

• Like 1

Hmmmm.. I must be a heartless beast...I never remember any pangs of regret..

I do get excited, even over a doe, but I never go into any theatrics or  feel any regret...I am usually tickled pink that I made a clean kill on the critter.. it's not always that pretty...

Either way, after the animal is dead ( and often within seconds of its giving its last kicks...I take out my knife and go to work.

• Like 5

One of the first thoughts is who's helping with the drag?  That thought is usually answered with deafening silence.  

Next thought; where's the closest 'wheeler?  If that isn't met with a positive response I shrug my shoulders, peel off as many top layers of clothing as possible and get to gutting.

THEN I start the drag......

(the prayers and good thought happen also but that's between me and the Lord)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 5

I've shot a bunch of game animals, I get pretty frikin' pumped if its a management doe or a trophy bull/buck/ram.

That ever stops, so will I.

Only time I have regret/sadness is if I messed up first shot and need another to finish the job.

The other thing that's true for me is when its over and if a goat rope, I let it go and don't let it carry over into the next hunt. Learn a lesson I hope of what happened but don't let it bother me.

I beat myself up over the misses once in a while; I missed a 300 yd shot on a smaller target in April and I still can't figure out what the hell I did wrong; rest and position was awkward on a steep slope, but still. Errrrr. Hell of a ram too. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I beat myself up over the misses once in a while; I missed a 300 yd shot on a smaller target in April and I still can't figure out what the hell I did wrong; rest and position was awkward on a steep slope, but still. Errrrr. Hell of a ram too. 

A thread on "missed shots" that stick in your craw would be good.  I have some I could add to that............:wink:

• Like 1

At the age of 45 I started hunting last year.  I wasn't able to connect on anything last year, but did shoot my first dear (a doe) a couple of weeks ago with my bow from 20 yards.  It is probably one of the most memorable events of my life.  Exciting beyond words and I will remember every detail of it for the rest of my life.  With that said, I have always wondered how I would feel after killing an animal.  Would I feel sadness or regret?  These questions actually are one of the reasons I never hunted when I was younger.  But, after killing my first deer, I felt no sadness at all.  It was an amazing feeling as I placed my hands on that beautiful animal.  I felt amazement at what God had created and provided.  It was a great feeling of awe and it seemed like one of the most natural things had taken place, man killing animals that God created for food. I look forward to experiencing that feeling again ;).... hopefully real soon :rolleyes:

Edited by bartman9
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, bartman9 said:

At the age of 45 I started hunting last year.  I wasn't able to connect on anything last year, but did shot my first dear (a doe) a couple of weeks ago with my bow from 20 yards.  It is probably one of the most memorable events of my life.  Exciting beyond words and I will remember every detail of it for the rest of my life.  

Pretty cool huh? 

I started at 23......I can still remember details of hunts and I'm well into hundreds of big game. I keep a journal of most hunts even if just a day outing for squirrels, one sentence and it brings all of it back.

Congrats on the first:drinks:

• Like 3