To DeBone or not to DeBone

vizslas

when you process your deer. what do you do with the back leg . debone the entire thing by separating the muscles, or what i saw these guys do. cut through the meat to the bone all the way around the leg and  then saw it off for steaks of course they did not have a band saw ,that would have made it easier... for you guys that have it done for you is this what the butcher does...  whats the better way/ preferred way lets get some votes and crunch the numbers on preferences.

The only thing I use a saw for is to cut the head off.

Years ago I had some family that ran a processing business on their farm. They would cut up deer like they did their cows sawing through the bone with a bandsaw. Was never really an issue to me and I'd probably do it the same way if I had the processing equipment they had to make the job faster and easier.

My last deer never even got dragged out of the woods. I returned home to grab some rope, a gambrel, a tarp, and some bags.

Got it hung, skinned, and cut up on location, and ready to be hauled out and packaged. Most of this one was just cut into stew meat and prepared for ground, but something about cutting an entire deer up in the field that makes you feel like an official bad azz hunter,lol

• Like 3

I always de-bone them.  The only thing I use the meat-saw for is cutting thru the bone to remove the head, lower legs, and rear section from the front.   I throw all the bones, trimmings and hide (other than tails which I keep for making fishing lures)  onto a pile, about 100 yards,  straight behind my bedroom window.  I have shot coyotes at night out of that window several times.    

I de-bone, only use a knife, unless it is to cut the skull for the antlers. Leave the head on otherwise for the hawks, eagles, corvids and yotes to enjoy and for me to enjoy their photos. According to some literature, the threat of CWD is enhanced by cutting the bone. I haven't used a bone saw in 30 years.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vizslas said:

I use garden loppers for the legs you know the two foot handled limb cutters they do a great job

I told my son to do this and he was kind of leery about doing it . I told him that I always use the loppers . He has been doing that ever since ! Cut the legs off just above the knees . 

• Like 1

I have three great meat saws with fresh blades from Povinelli........I leave one in my truck, stashed in a cooler with 2.5 gallon zip locks and a boning knife for road side (or where ever I kill one and processing needs to be done NOW due to temps) processing, and the other two are at home.  I always de-bone my venison and the bone saw has it's uses:  

If I have a hanging deer, the head is down always.  First thing I do is saw the front legs off.  I know I can remove the front legs at the elbow lickity split with a knife but that is more wear on the edge of the blade that I don't need.  After the hide is removed, I'll saw off the head then pull the shoulders, neck meat, tender loins, back straps etc.  Next step I do is saw the back of the rib cage off right where it meets the hindquarters.  Then I'll let the deer hang from one hock as the other swings in the breeze, allowing me to severe the ball/socket joint.  That hindquarter gets laid on the table top/tailgate/cooler etc and the meat saw cuts the rear leg from the quarter.

From there it's all about getting rid of the rest of the bones and making the meat freezer ready.

Bottom line; I haven't had a piece of venison bone in my freezer in 35 years. 

Debone everything. Having bones in takes up more space in freezer and you have to remove all the fat and silverskin from the cuts,that stuff just doesn't taste good.

It is quite a bit of work upfront,but I love being able to take a package of meat out of the freezer and not having to trim the stuff then. 

This will give you the best tasting venison,in my opinion

I am the opposite. stopped going to processors because they refuse to leave bone

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

lol why the hell would would you want that nasty bone in cross cut steak that has 3 muscle
Groups in one steak that all cook differently and have a different texture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

not sure if any other Italians out there like to make sauce with venison but I do and if there is no bones it just doesn't taste as good. I don't use leg bones but ribs and neck bones are very good for it. Also steaks/ chops like this are great as well

81ebd328df61ecb54d246988c951d5b4.jpg

fce8ee1ed99e9496c7f5d3999f7021cd.jpg

lol why the hell would would you want that nasty bone in cross cut steak that has 3 muscle
Groups in one steak that all cook differently and have a different texture

hey if you go to a steakhouse, the same steak with bone in is always more expensive lol

hey if you go to a steakhouse, the same steak with bone in is always more expensive lol

Completely different cut of meat!!!! You are talking about a bone in rib steak or maybe a ny strip which would be a Kansas City with the bone in. Neither of which are a nasty cross section of the leg