Binoculars vs monocular. For hunting.

So the wife got me a set of bushnell bone collected trophy xlt 8x32 binos for Christmas.

Great gift. But they are almost identical to my current bushnell.

So I'm looking to exchange for another optic...

I've been thinking of trying to lose some bino weight. Specifically from 25-28 Oz down to 15ish.

I'm not finding alot of decent options in hat weight range so I have a couple questions.

1) how do 10 or 8x25/28s fare for hunting? This size is about the only way I can get down to 15oz.... Or a set of double the cost 8x32s.

2) what about monocular? Any one use them for Hunting? Recommend one around 150?

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I have never used a mono ( or had ), unless you count mono filament fishing line.

My current bino's are Bushnell compacts 8x21 with 378 at 1000 yds ( $50 at Dicks on sale ), and they aren't great in low light conditions, but not horrible either. They work well for me in bow season at closer ranges, yet I don't care much for them at longer ranges for the gun season ( not sure why, just me I guess ). Next season I plan to pick up two pair ( one for myself and one for the fiance ) of either 8x42 or 10x42 compacts for the gun season. I like the magnification better on a 10, and a little more light on the higher mm lens.

For serious deer or varmint hunting I like using a good pair of quality binoculars. But when I am small game-bird hunting or even sometimes when fishing I have and use a couple of good quality small monoculars. I carry one in a pocket to have just in case there is something far enough away or up high in a tree that I can not identify with the naked eye. While they do not get used often they have come in handy and did their job several times when needed without having to carry a set of regular binoculars.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, zeus1gdsm said:

Anyone have experience with the 25mm objectives? My concern is that the small objective will not capture enough light due magic hour.

If the monocular is 5x then my understanding is that 25mm will allow the maximum light useable by your eye.  For 25mm, if its more than 5x, then you will lose some time at last light.  Of course, quality of lens plays a role too in terms of use at last light.  Essentially divide the objective MM by the power, if its 5 or greater, you have all the light your eye can use.  If its less than 5, your eye can use more light than will be transmitted by the mono or bino thereby limiting visibility at last light. 

Tried a monocular.  Figured simple, light weight, small.  Found, for me anyway, it was nearly useless.  The extra weight of binoculars turned out to be a minor issue compared to how much better they were to use.  I ended up giving it to the kids to play with.

I have both a binos and monos.  I use the binos if I know I'm going to be sitting a lot and when I'm bored, I look around with my binos.  Bird watch a little.  The mono's are super light weight and compact.  The problem I find with mono's is that they're not as comfortable to hold and not as clear.  Also harder to hold steady for some reason.  I use my mono when hiking a lot to lose the weight.  I hold use it when I spot something and want a quick look to identify it more clearly.

I have the Vortex Solo Monocular in 10X.  In retrospec, I think if I would have gotten it in 8X it might make enough of a difference in holding it steady.

17 hours ago, zeus1gdsm said:

So the wife got me a set of bushnell bone collected trophy xlt 8x32 binos for Christmas.

Great gift. But they are almost identical to my current bushnell.

So I'm looking to exchange for another optic...

I've been thinking of trying to lose some bino weight. Specifically from 25-28 Oz down to 15ish.

I'm not finding alot of decent options in hat weight range so I have a couple questions.

1) how do 10 or 8x25/28s fare for hunting? This size is about the only way I can get down to 15oz.... Or a set of double the cost 8x32s.

2) what about monocular? Any one use them for Hunting? Recommend one around 150?

Thanks for the input!

Forget about the mono idea for hunting, if you're serious. 

If a lightweight highly rated (by guys that do have a clue) pair of binos is what you're seeking, take a look at the Leupold Yosemite 6x glass.  Price is very reasonable and they have held up well for users.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Yosemite-Porro-Prism-Binoculars/dp/B00DZES96A

I've never used them although I had a pair on back order a few years ago that never showed from a Ebay vendor.  It wasn't a big deal as I have other binos and was just curious enough about the 6x Yosemite's that I thought I'd snag some. 

• Like 1

I use compact binoculars and they also reside in my fanny pack. They are Bushnell but I don't know the model. They are light and durable even in poor weather conditions; my old Cabela's coat has a bino pocket along the front zipper so the stay close and safe when hunting.

Like most of my hunting goodies they always reside in my pack year around and get cleaned every winter and ready to go in the spring for turkey...

Thank you for all the responses! Well I am definitely swayed away from the monocular.

I took a long hard look at the Leo Yosemite. But it will only save me about 5 ounces.

Got an order in for a set bushnell trophy xlt 8x30. 15.5ozs. I was pretty impressed with the 8x42s so hopefully these measure up.

• 2 weeks later...

Neither because they don't keep me in the woods any longer and they don't kill deer. My range finder does me just fine. And when I want to see the deer close up I am usually putting cross hairs on them. I will spend that money on warm or water proof stuff

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Love my Alpens 8x32 I don't like mono being that the field of view is less and hate squinting. I glass a lot and when I forget my binos in the car or at home and have to use my rangefinder I hate it. My eyes get tired quick with the mono. The mono needs to be higher magnification to give the same effect as binos.

Binos allow me to see better in low light situation than the mono or even with my naked eyes. 

Edited by chas0218