Speaking Of Lost, What's The Worst Thing You've Lost?

Lawdwaz

4 hours ago, Larry302 said:

Every car we own has spare keys hidden underneath them .

I would no longer dare do that . I lost a spare key to a Subaru Forester and it cost me almost $200 to replace it . The keys a laser cut and also have to be programmed to the vehicle . 

I locked my keys in a Dodge Aspen that I had bought used . It was winter . I had started the car and got out to clear the windows . I must have hit the door lock . Walked back into the plant and got a hanger and was able to unlock the car after several tries and freezing my hands . Had a backup key made . A friend suggested putting it under the air cleaner . I unscrewed the cover to the cleaner , took out the cleaner and you guessed it , they was already a spare key . Duh !!! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I would no longer dare do that . I lost a spare key to a Subaru Forester and it cost me almost $200 to replace it . The keys a laser cut and also have to be programmed to the vehicle . 

I locked my keys in a Dodge Aspen that I had bought used . It was winter . I had started the car and got out to clear the windows . I must have hit the door lock . Walked back into the plant and got a hanger and was able to unlock the car after several tries and freezing my hands . Had a backup key made . A friend suggested putting it under the air cleaner . I unscrewed the cover to the cleaner , took out the cleaner and you guessed it , they was already a spare key . Duh !!! 

How does one get under the hood to get to air cleaner if vehicle is locked and can't pop the hood ?

• Like 2

Youngest's daughters car '02 Civic , normal $2.00 key, oldest daughter '04 Grand AM $2.00 key, wife '03 and myself '04 .

Our kids have used the hidden key countless times, along with the $20 I put in the hide a key box .

For those that don't lock themselves out or misplace the primary keys often , one can put the spare behind the license plate using one of the four mounting screws, or simply wiring it to the hole  the screw goes through and just let it hang behind the plate . The plate itself with the four screws tightened down will keep a key behind it , wire being more of a safety .

Trust me the guys at work get their shots in ! Hey I've never made a monthly payment or a rent I mean " lease" payment . My wife's has under 70 K the others a bit over 100k. Only once have I spent in the 5 figures for a car , and that was a new MPV in '91.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Fortunately, I have not lost anything for good that I valued, but I have temporarily lost a few things.   The time that scared me the most was when, as a senior in high school (a long time ago), I almost lost my grandad's model 37, Ithaca 16-gauge.  It was about an hour before sunrise on opening day of deer season, and I was heading thru some hardwoods (not on a trail), carrying the shotgun in my left hand, and a climbing treestand, that I had made in metal shop, slung over my right shoulder.   I stopped mid-way through the big, rectangular woodlot (aprox 200 acres), got out my flashlight and got a compass bearing towards a scrub-brush field on the other side. That was where I intended to put up the stand, near a well used deer trail.  I leaned the gun against a tree.   After getting my bearings, I tucked my thumb under the strap of the stand (as if it was a gun), and continued on my way.  When I reached the edge of the woods, after zigzagging around various blow-downs, briar patches, and wet spots, I realized that the gun was still back in the middle of the woods leaning on that tree.  

Without panic, I said a short prayer and laid the stand against the tree that I intended to climb.  I backtracked directly to the gun, in the pitch black darkness, only loosing about a half hour, and was still up the tree a few minutes before sunrise.  It would have been easier with snow but there was not any that year.   I missed a nice buck later that morning, but I was very thankful that I still had the gun.  I blame that miss on "buck-fever" and not getting a good sight picture, probably shooting over his back.  I put a 1-1/2 X Weaver on it the next year and have killed every deer I have shot at with it since then.      

The latest "temporary loss" happened this weekend.  We were up my in-laws place in the Adirondacks, doing a little ice fishing.  My father in law had one hole thru about 12" of ice when we got there, but I had 3 tip-ups and needed a few more.  I don't have a power-auger, and it is a lot faster for me to make a hole with my hand-auger if I chisel a little bit when the auger stops cutting.   I have an antique, heavy iron chisel with a 4 foot wood handle that works real good for that.   I was expecting the ice to be a little thicker, and I lost it, in about 20 feet of water, as I was making my first hole.   I figured I would eventually get it back, but probably not until summer.  

The fishing was fast and furious yesterday morning, but the action stopped completely about 9:30 am.  When I pulled the tip-up, just before sunset, from the hole where I had lost the chisel, it felt like the bait was snagged on the bottom.  There is an underwater brush-pile near that spot and I had caught a few perch there in the morning.   I gently pulled the line and it pulled free, but a steady, heavy tug remained on the line.   I had snagged the wooden handle of the chisel and I guided it back up thru the hole.  No lake trout on this trip, but getting that chisel back was an even bigger prize.  No one believed me when I told them I caught it, util they saw me carry it up to the house.      

I've "misplaced" my wedding ring a couple of times but fortunately I've never lost it.  Aside the grief I would have gotten from the wife, my band cost a pretty penny.

I do have Asian Fit Oakleys.  (wider temples, lower nose bridge)  Initially, due to limited production, they use to run around $250 a pair.  I left one in Central Park after a day of softball.  Bought another pair, had it stolen from my car.  I just ordered my 3rd pair.  Luckily, Oakleys has expanded the Asian Fit line and dropped the price down to $175.

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The fishing was fast and furious yesterday morning, but the action stopped completely about 9:30 am.  When I pulled the tip-up, just before sunset, from the hole where I had lost the chisel, it felt like the bait was snagged on the bottom.  There is an underwater brush-pile near that spot and I had caught a few perch there in the morning.   I gently pulled the line and it pulled free, but a steady, heavy tug remained on the line.   I had snagged the wooden handle of the chisel and I guided it back up thru the hole.  No lake trout on this trip, but getting that chisel back was an even bigger prize.  No one believed me when I told them I caught it, util they saw me carry it up to the house.      

Lol I was using a friends spud bar to make a hole years ago and he yells over "Put your wrist through the lanyard". I thought whatever dude, I know what I'm doing. And promptly dropped it through the hole, gone forever

I've dropped a number of guns into swamps, creeks, rivers and lakes over the years. I managed to immediately retrieve them all but still have scars from the frostbite and memories of the hypothermia I endured. It's not fun jumping into the water in January, and especially not when you're solo in a canoe. What the heck was I thinking?

When my home flooded, I "lost" every single firearm passed down from two families of two generations (my grandmother's father's guns, and my grandfather and his father's guns) - about ~10. I still have them, but the rust and damage is beyond repair on some and beyond a reasonable price for me to consider on the others. One of them dated to the 1880s for production.

So, they sit, getting worse, in a gun safe, and I keep a stiff upper lip about it.

19 minutes ago, phade said:

When my home flooded, I "lost" every single firearm passed down from two families of two generations (my grandmother's father's guns, and my grandfather and his father's guns) - about ~10

Phade ever try these guys?? http://www.turnbullmfg.com/ They have a on-line form you can submit for an estimate and they do really nice work.

Restoration-request-form-2016.pdf

Edited by Steve D

i've really lost nothing of little to no value over the years.  i don't give myself any breaks if i misplace something until i find it.

some stray dog got into the garage when i was a kid and snagged the antlers from my first deer i harvested.  was sitting there i thought out of harms way from processing the deer with dad.  i'd trade any set of antlers i've got for that set.

by far the worst was my wedding ring.  this past November i took a doe on the farm.  dropped where it stood 208 yards out in the middle of a hay field.  by the time i got the truck and got to it i was taking care of it in the dark.  after cleaning my hands with wipes and getting back home i discovered i lost my first and only wedding band.  went back that whole week with a metal detector multiple times for hours each time.  searched what was left of the gut pile and acres of field around it.  found old parts and hitch pins for every tractor dad owned but no ring.  came to terms it was gone.  maybe in bear or yote crap within 10 miles of the location.  fast foward to late this past month....

back at the farm to load up another customer's truck and large trailer with hay.  go into my truck right where i keep the current pair of gloves i use only when doing bigger loads of hay (cheap rubber dipped cotton gloves so they wear out quick and then get tossed BTW).  slide my fingers in and one bumps into my ring deep inside the glove!  turns out i had loaded hay prior to the hunt and lost it before heading out to the woods.  for months every day it was within feet of me and i never knew it, despite the mental torment.  i definitely felt the loss those months.  $$ for a replacement didn't matter.  it was the emotional attachment to the ring that was then gone.

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I set a pair of Costa sunglasses on top of my car and drove from Rhode Island to Buffalo. Incredibly they were not still there at the end of my trip. I also had a good $150 pair from Orvis fall into the Gulf of Mexico. I suck at sunglasses

When I got contacts in about 1986, I could start getting non prescription sunglasses.  I have EVERY pair I've ever bought since then except a pair of B&L Wings.  I think I have 5 other pairs (not in chronological order); Corning Serengeti, B&L Wayfarer, some off brand from Sam's Club that are darn good, a pair of mirrored homo glasses and my latest a pair of Bolle shades I got this past summer up in Lake Placid.  Needless to say I take pretty good care of my stuff, not like my pal quoted above.  :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

When I got contacts in about 1986, I could start getting non prescription sunglasses.  I have EVERY pair I've ever bought since then except a pair of B&L Wings.  I think I have 5 other pairs (not in chronological order); Corning Serengeti, B&L Wayfarer, some off brand from Sam's Club that are darn good, a pair of mirrored homo glasses and my latest a pair of Bolle shades I got this past summer up in Lake Placid.  Needless to say I take pretty good care of my stuff, not like my pal quoted above.  :)

Same here got contacts and started getting into good sunglasses as of now I still have the first pair of Ray Bans I bought and have 2 pair of Maui Jims which I think are awesome and a pair of Oakleys,When I wear them they never leave my hands never set them down....

When I got contacts in about 1986, I could start getting non prescription sunglasses.  I have EVERY pair I've ever bought since then except a pair of B&L Wings.  I think I have 5 other pairs (not in chronological order); Corning Serengeti, B&L Wayfarer, some off brand from Sam's Club that are darn good, a pair of mirrored homo glasses and my latest a pair of Bolle shades I got this past summer up in Lake Placid.  Needless to say I take pretty good care of my stuff, not like my pal quoted above. 

Well ARENT YOU JUST SOMETHING?!?! Lol

On the same trip, I left a hot seat on a watch and figured it out a half mile later in an area for which I am not really familiar.  Hiked back and found it.  45 minutes later, got to another watch, took off my tinted safety glasses and set them on the top of a boulder.  At the end of the watch, you guessed it. That one was a little harder to find b/c I was somewhere besides where I thought I was, but I managed to get them.

So what have I actually lost?   ... my mind (at least in the process of doing so).

So about 5 years ago, I was heading to the range and placed my cz 30-06 premium in its case on top of my truck while I loaded it up. Arrived at the range 30 min away as happy as a clam until I went to grab my rifle. Yep, drove away with it on top of my car and never heard it fall off.  Really stupid. I was in a panic that someone could be hurt by my rifle if found by the wrong person and drove the route back and forth 3 times hoping to see it lying on the side of the road.  No luck. I had no idea what to do so I called the police and explained what happened.  They said they would let me know if it was turned in. I figured that was it. 

4 days later, cops call and say they have it.  Honest young man found it just outside my tract on the main road and scooped it up before another car that was stopping to grab it. He put an ad on craigslist in lost and found and police were notified.  They retrieved it and brought it to me. I really wanted to do something for the young man but he absolutely refused. Said it was the right thing to do.  That's integrity!   Oh, I never place my gun case on top of a vehicle any longer. 

• Like 3