You guys got power?

Jeremy K

This guy thought he know what he was doing , till his chargers and batteries for his cord less tools started on fire this morning .....

Couple issue with back feeding not mentioned yet. When you plug it into a wall you're running half your house on 12 wire or even 14 . So when the daughter uses a hairdryer and the Mrs uses the microwave that can lead to visits from us .

Also generators produce " dirty power" so your computers and high end TV may get fried .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Larry302

This guy thought he know what he was doing , till his chargers and batteries for his cord less tools started on fire this morning .....
Couple issue with back feeding not mentioned yet. When you plug it into a wall you're running half your house on 12 wire or even 14 . So when the daughter uses a hairdryer and the Mrs uses the microwave that can lead to visits from us .
Also generators produce " dirty power" so your computers and high end TV may get fried .

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Damn! I'm no electrician by any means. But even I know stuff like that is a no no. Some one won the stupid award for today lol.

Just talked to RGE.  Apparently most of the work to date has been cleaning to start the repair process.  Big meeting this afternoon to set a plan for repair.  She couldn't advise formally, but said unlikely that service will be back up today, maybe over the weekend.

So without endorsing this idea can you tell me if this is the safest way to do it? I've shut off the Main and all breakers but the furnace and ran a chord to an outlet in my garage where it won't be bumped out by anything or anyone 94b63502b29a8334ec51017a421d2be8.jpg

I do have a guy coming to put in an auxiliary panel for my generator but that won't be until next week at the earliest. He's going to do mine and two other neighbors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Latest update for my street: Tomorrow at 11pm. Wtf. At this point I have no choice but to backfeed every few hours to run my furnace, it's going to be in the teens

I got a couple heater buddies you can borrow

• Like 1

Word of caution everyone. If you choose to back feed your house with a generator make sure you turn off your main breaker. If you don't you are feeding power out of your house and can be energizing a line that the utility worker believe is not hot. Be smart, it can be a deadly action if you aren't 100% sure about what you are doing. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 4

TCIII I'm sure you'll be fine, tons of guys do,that but there are risks . The wiring to your wall socket is not meant to carry the load for half your house which is why most back feed ,because it runs half your box , but with it all shut down but the furnace you should be ok . I'm no electrician , I've just seen a lot of bad hack jobs.

like this next guy, we just got back from . He called when smoke stared coming from  his over head light . He back feed his panel , said he only had one breaker on . " which one we asked ?" , " that one, it's off now " , " ok great , but those three are still on!" , " oh .... "

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So without endorsing this idea can you tell me if this is the safest way to do it? I've shut off the Main and all breakers but the furnace and ran a chord to an outlet in my garage where it won't be bumped out by anything or anyone 94b63502b29a8334ec51017a421d2be8.jpg

I do have a guy coming to put in an auxiliary panel for my generator but that won't be until next week at the earliest. He's going to do mine and two other neighbors

How is the power going to get from your garage outlet to your furnace with all your breakers turned off?

Have you checked to see if your furnace is hardwired or plugs into an outlet?

Like Larry said ,it may work, not recommended  .

You will have to have main breaker off..

Breaker on that you are backfeeding .

and the furnace breaker on

This assumes that your garage outlet is feeding the same 1/2 panel that the furnace uses.

Edited by ncountry
More info
  • Like 1

How is the power going to get from your garage outlet to your furnace with all your breakers turned off?

Have you checked to see if your furnace is hardwired or plugs into an outlet?

All are off with the exception of the furnace breaker but I see what you mean, the breaker the outlet is on needs to be open as well. Furnace is hard wired

I talked to 2 electricians that said backfeeding is fine.  Just turn off the main.  But I never got that far thankfully. I too was going to run furnace and some lights.  

Yes but Larry302 made an incredibly important point above, if that plug comes out of the wall it's hot and could kill you. Plug it in an outlet that's out of traffic

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Yes but Larry302 made an incredibly important point above, if that plug comes out of the wall it's hot and could kill you. Plug it in an outlet that's out of traffic

Very true.  

Edited by moog5050

In 2006 I pulled apart the switch to my furnace and wired a male end plug to it.  Then I just plugged in my extension cord to the generator.   Main is off but doesn't matter at that point anyway........the power coming in to the switch is disconnected.  Then I had one other extension cord with a pigtail on it that fed a couple lights/sump pump/ freezer and fridge.  Worked real nice for 6 or 7 days.

Now I have a second generator, a Honda EU2000 to ease the burden on the Honda EB 3000.  I hope I never need them again!

I did give the 2000 watt unit to a kid at work yesterday but his juice was back on by the time he got home from work.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've got a guy coming out next
Week to get me setup right with a panel

TCIII. Don't backfeed! Not worth it. When we had the big ice storm years ago, my neighbor came over and made a "pig tail" with the male end of a power strip wiring it directly to the furnace. We then plugged that male end to a heavy duty extension cord that was attached to a generator on the back porch. (Don't put the generator in the garage; CO2 risk. Put it on the back porch under an awning if you have one.) Zacher Electric installed my whole house generator for me after that experience. I got nice Kohler unit (12,000 kW, I think), more expensive and less "rated" power than others, but it is a very high quality one vs. a Generac, et al. I can run everything except that in the summer I can only run one of the two AC units.