You guys got power?

Jeremy K

Backup generators are awesome. Well worth the expense. I have a 10kw generac that's runs on propane. Since we moved to this house I think it's been used 4 or 5 times. Pretty cool when the lights go out, about a second or two after the generator kicks on and everything comes back to life. It will run almost my entire house, but I don't have 2 of the 3 bedrooms hooked up to it or the 2nd bathroom. This left a couple empty breakers in the generac breaker box that I plan to use for the new garage once that's built. We haven't filled the 420LB tank in 2 years either. Still has 70% left in it. Generator fires up automatically every Thursday at 9am and runs for 10 mins then shuts down. If it fails to start a alarm goes off. Hasn't failed yet though. I'm really impressed with how little propane it uses. Granted, all the power outages were short lived and the one we had back in summer that lasted 8 hours I manually shut the generator off because we were going to bed and had no reason to run it as we needed no lights and the fridge can keep itself cold for a few hours. By the time I woke up power was back on.

My next house we are going to build and it will for sure include a generac. My 3 immediate neighbors also have generacs and claim they are the best things ever

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

How does wegmans not have a generator back up system.  Even my office does.  That's a lot of potential loss. 

They would need one big generator to handle all the power to run all that refrigeration and A/C.  All 3 phase.  I recall having a generator in a tractor trailer run a store in North Jersey for a week.  Big Bucks!  Most stores have 2 small generators, one to run partial lights and one to run the registers.  Dry ice in mass quantities is used for short term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a bit of damage around here.  Driving to the office there were a lot of trees down and roads closed.  Hopefully no injuries and things will get back to normal soon for everyone.

Seneca Lake has been downright weird this morning. It's pretty calm along the west shore and the flow seems to be southward. 200 to 300 yards out it appears to be moving northward, another couple hundred yards and it looks to be southward again, and a mile out (about half way across) there are whitecaps and it's definitely moving northward. I wouldn't want to be out there in a small boat today.

Pay attention to what Larry is saying with regard to 'backfeeding' house electrical systems. There is no safe way to do it without a transfer switch. It's not just first-responders who are at risk, but also your neighbors. Not cool!

I'm suppose to meet our Daughter in Henrietta for lunch...Can't get through to anyone but Wegmans...and They don't know who is and isn't open...Called Gander and was transferred to NC to find out they are open in Henrietta, but have no phone service....You guys know anything?...not one restaurant has anything but a busy signal

15 hours ago, Larry302 said:

That of course is a code violation and nobody from the power co. to,the FD is happy to,run into,that.  Better to get a transfer switch, or run cords directly to,a few lights and appliances . 

No,offense but if you go to all the trouble of buying a generator , why not set it up correctly . 

image.png

You can run an interlock which basically a metal bracket that you lift up to turn on the breaker running from the generator and you must turn off the main in order for the generator breaker to be turned on.sd100_qo_i_lg.jpg

12 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Point made. I'm going to get the house warmed up and then pull it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best way is to see a visible open between the Gen. & the power lines, A switch or manual disconnect.  Make it safe no one wants to fry a lineman or anyone else.  Be safe out there!

Our house didn't lose power until this morning for about an hour. I assume this was NYSEG shutting our grid down to fix something to get everyone back up and running. We have a generatic whole home generator and i must say with a 6 and 3 year old at home I love the peace of mind. It came with the house but now after having it i would gladly pay for one. Power goes out no big deal life goes on as normal.  

• Like 2

I worked for National Grid in southern tier for 35 years, and it is a royal pain in the butt to pick up all service customers quickly when damage is severe. Cannot rebuild facilities developed over decades in a couple of days unfortunately.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Merlot said:

I worked for National Grid in southern tier for 35 years, and it is a royal pain in the butt to pick up all service customers quickly when damage is severe. Cannot rebuild facilities developed over decades in a couple of days unfortunately.

Suit up man!

17 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Funny part is that people have power 1/4 -1/2 mile to north and south on main rd.  Yet I see no lines down in between.  We are apparently in no mans land. 

21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Funny part is that people have power 1/4 -1/2 mile to north and south on main rd.  Yet I see no lines down in between.  We are apparently in no mans land. 

Power fed from separate distribution feeders going in different directions. Sometimes people wonder why some people have power when others down the road do not.

• Like 1

Unos was closed but I had her meet me at Carrabas...while there they had something big hit their roof and bounce across. Then it periodically caused a racket across the dinning room ceiling...I Don't care! The food and service were great...hated seeing her get on a little commuter to Washington though..scares me.