What's on the agenda to improve your hunting this coming season ?

rob-c

Myself, planing on setting up at least another 5 ladder stands( have 6 up now) have already moved 3  and planning to clear more trails . This will be our 3rd year on our 300 acre lease and I learned a ton about how the deer use the property last fall . Also will be running at least 3 cameras for now.we decided to skip spring turkey this year as we have a pretty decent flock . But we didn't see a lot of toms in our early scouting in April .  So whatcha got planned ? 

Edited by rob-c

21 views and no one is planning anything?

0 stands for me.

Plan to try some WTI no plow soon and if it grows good, do it again in August. Tough to think about hunting when the weather is warm and nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plan and hope to see some 125+ bucks this season as it will be the 4th year on the 100 acre wood and we have passed on all but 1 wide 6 that I took last bow season. Haven't taken another buck in 3 seasons and have had 4 different 8's on camera last year that were about 110-115 class. 

I am adding more plots but these near the big farm hay and crop field,a few hundred feet into the woods...setting them up as staging areas and feeding travel plot  to more interior plots. I have an issue with the mounting of my 243 scope...why I haven't been using it much. I'm building a 5-6 ft  platform for one of my dog house blinds. Need to put up a new ladder stand I got for X mas. Clean up and cut behind Rivers blind, continue building up all the new brush pile fencing. Get my Mission bow in for new strings and tune up.

Plus  a hundred  other things with shooting and practice.

13 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I hope to erect an enclosed tower stand on my food plot ...

Heated with a hot plate and coffee maker?  If so, build it a bit taller and capable of holding much more weight.  GPS coordinates appreciated. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Heated with a hot plate and coffee maker?  If so, build it a bit taller and capable of holding much more weight.  GPS coordinates appreciated. 

The 90 acres that I hunt in cuba , the owner has said he would consider hunting if he had a tower that was heated with a little stove so he could cook breakfast up there and just relax . I didn't seem like he was joking either.

40 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

The 90 acres that I hunt in cuba , the owner has said he would consider hunting if he had a tower that was heated with a little stove so he could cook breakfast up there and just relax . I didn't seem like he was joking either.

Well I know where there is a cabin 17 feet up in the air , you can't cover all four sides at once from in it though .

59 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I'm going to move three stands , and try to pass on the type of bucks I normally take .

Holding out for the spikes this year Larry?  Good for you.  No need to shoot those big racked bucks like normal.  Let em shrink!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'm going to find a new alternative to Fireballs Larry302 turned us all onto. They didn't work as a good luck charm.

TF - Larry started that myth knowing that the cinnamon smell drives all bucks away leaving him a chance at them.  It was a devious plan that worked pretty well.

• Like 4

Anyone can hit a big deer .....small deer , much harder target .

last years the bow buck that I shot came into a fight between a monster and a young one. I had a split second to draw and the monster was gone, so when that one gave me an easy shot it took it .

Mrs 302 asked why not keep,hunting for the monster, I said because I'd have to,hunt all season and maybe never see it again, so I took the sure thing .

This year my plan is a grand slam or strike out .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Anyone can hit a big deer .....small deer , much harder target .

last years the bow buck that I shot came into a fight between a monster and a young one. I had a split second to draw and the monster was gone, so when that one gave me an easy shot it took it .

Mrs 302 asked why not keep,hunting for the monster, I said because I'd have to,hunt all season and maybe never see it again, so I took the sure thing .

This year my plan is a grand slam or strike out .

I like it.  Swing for the fences.  Although lots of doubles ain't bad!  lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have a bunch of quail eggs in my incubators to hatch out for training and polishing up my English Setter pup "Matty",  hopefully she should be ready to go by time the bird season opens,

Al 

thumbnail_20170211_090743.jpg

Gorgeous dog!

• Like 1

nothing... maybe get trail cams out sooner to pin down some 4.5+ year old bucks that are still kickin around.  other than that it's burning time to help other hunters and thankless co-op duties.  as long as i get out at some point during the season hopefully karma will make the limited time out worth while.  

Thinking about bow in the ADK again, yea I am a glutton for punishment.   Not much of an improvement but its fun!  Going to try some more public land spots.  Most of my improvement involves making it harder, lol.  Less sitting in trees and more stalking and calling.

Move a stand or two around maybe.put ladders back together with new pins in em as trees fell directly on em.alot of fallen trees to take care of/make brush piles for this years rabbit season and hopefully shoot a nice buck for my grandfather!

20170501_083256.jpg

Edited by doebuck1234
  • Like 2