Got a bird with my new bow!! Westchester NY

StevieSacs

I roosted a bird last night and made all the preparations to head in this morning with hopes of getting a bird with my new bow.

Morale was pretty low since I've had a rough turkey season so far with 1 missed turkey and some sloppy weather on all of my days off.   As soon as first light came I gave a few clucks on my caller and heard a gobbler going absolutely mental about 70 yards from me.  I heard him fly down and start coming in, but got hung up around 40 yards and was scanning the horizon.  I went silent and waited to see what he'd do when he spotted the Decoy and started bee lining into it.   I saw an opportunity to draw when he went behind a huge rock pile and waited until he was about 20 yards out.  For the first time in my life i was able to calm myself down and go through all of the steps in my head.  Make sure the pin is on him, bow is leveled, and that i'm looking through the correct eye ( unfortunately I've missed this step before)  He stopped 20 yards broadside and I drilled him with one in the chest.  He jumped up and flew about 50 yards away and hit the ground running.  He must have went another 40 yards and piled over.  

Got in the woods at 4:45 and had my bird by 5:30am.   Cleaned him up and was at work in the city at 9:00am.   I had a plan and stuck to it and it worked out perfectly.  Iimageproxy.php?img=&key=0f83455fcf3d9771imageproxy.php?img=&key=0f83455fcf3d9771 was so excited to get my first turkey with the new Mathews!!   Cant wait to make some Turkey Scarparello tomorrow night.

Picture posted below!

Edited by StevieSacs
  • Like 16

Good job, Stevie !!  Taking an adult gobbler with a bow is no small feat....Congrats !

So that's what compound bows look like these days ?

That's a little more intricate than my Darton SL-50, which was my first compound...<<grin>>....

• Like 1

Thanks fellas!

Had a close one last Saturday but really blew the shot big time.   You don't get opportunities like that often... so really pumped It all came together again this morning.  

Besides being delicious, his beard & fan will make a beautiful mount.   One of his spurs was worn to a nub and the other was about 1" long. Definitely a good bird!

• Like 2

What kind of broadhead ? Center mass ? Thru and thru?  No blind? Awesome accomplishment on  a 3+ year old bird who seldom makes mistakes.

I set my bow up for my Elk hunt this September, so was shooting Slick trick magnums, 125g. I aimed for the neck when I missed last Saturday, so I went center mass. I have a screen blind from Rhino Blind. Thing is super mobile and easy to set up. Set it up about 20 yards from the decoy and worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sodfather said:

Do you like that stabilizer on your Halon and how does it compare to a bee stinger? If you have used a bee stinger in the past that is..

Yea its pretty good.  Id rather have a longer stabilizer personally, but don't want to deal with the hassle of removing it everytime i have to put it in my case.  I also like the fact that i can offset the stabilizer and help with its balance (left to right)  It also acts as a handle as well.. since I have the bad habit of walking in the woods holding my bow string.  Figured i'd give it a chance and it seems to be working well.  

• Like 1