Hunting clothing storage

adkhunter71

I am just curious how everyone else stores their hunting clothing?  I used to keep mine in a large dry bag similar to this http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boating-accessories/waterproof-bags-containers/pc/104794380/c/104706180/sc/104682780/cabelas-boundary-waters-backpack/2398089.uts?slotId=2, but it is a pain in the ass as I would have to take everything out if I need something in the bottom.  Now, I vacuum seal my clothes in a couple of large ziploc bags made for that purpose and keep them in a large bin.  I am not crazy about this setup and found a bag made by gameplan gear  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/121593/gameplan-gear-base-camp-scent-control-duffel-bag-system that looks like just what I need...until I realized that this company seems to have gone out of business.  

I am now leaning towards something like this http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boating-accessories/waterproof-bags-containers/pc/104794380/c/104706180/sc/104682780/cabelas-boundary-waters-duffel-bag/2398088.uts?slotId=0 but figured I would put it out there to see what everyone else does and maybe get a new idea that I haven't thought of.  

FYI, I do not have an area like a garage or barn outside where I can hang clothing and do a bit of traveling to hunt in westen NY as well as the Adirondacks, so I prefer to use a bag that will keep things as scent free as possible.  I almost pulled the trigger on one of the scent crusher ozone bags, but read a few reviews where ozone is not the greatest for anything that has rubber and wears out elastic and anything glued over time.

• Like 1

My outer garments sat in an open tote since last year. Now they're in a pile next to the washer. During the season they'll sit on shevles in my gun room, dress for the day, toss some extras in the tote, place that in car .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

I was doing the earth wafer thing in a plastic tote. I found it very strong and slightly unnatural. I just bought a small ozone maker and am planning on using it to make my gear scent free this season by placing it in my plastic tote. A poor mans scent-crusher set up basically.

I am also not using deer scents this season at all. Trying to go o-naturale this year

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sodfather said:

For the truck I have scent crusher bag and for home I have this closet I got at amazon with carbon and a ozone machine 

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

Nice set-up.  Do you notice any wear on any of your gear that you have exposed to ozone?  I read a few reviews about it affecting the elastic and glue on clothing and I think rubber also(?).  I imagine that it would need to be exposed quite frequently for this to happen, though.  Anyway, it was enough to scare me away from it because I spent so much on my hunting clothes that I would be really irritated if they got ruined by ozone.

18 minutes ago, adkhunter71 said:

Nice set-up.  Do you notice any wear on any of your gear that you have exposed to ozone?  I read a few reviews about it affecting the elastic and glue on clothing and I think rubber also(?).  I imagine that it would need to be exposed quite frequently for this to happen, though.  Anyway, it was enough to scare me away from it because I spent so much on my hunting clothes that I would be really irritated if they got ruined by ozone.

I've heard the same thing. I only run it for 10 minutes after the hunt. Then run it in my scent crusher bag for 10 minutes before or on way to the woods. I've done this for only 1 year but gear shows no sign at all of wear 

• Like 2

i bought a scentlok tote a few years ago on sale for like $30. they're normally $75. Comes with carbon absorber but it's really nothing fancy, just a good latching well made tote.

i found ziploc now makes some really good sealable totes for very cheap and bought some. I too used to use the bags, but like the totes now for storage. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-60-Qt-WeatherShield-Storage-Box/45630858 

Edited by Belo

Clean my clothes with just plain ole water, let them dry. Place in a big tote for the year, with lid open slightly. A month before the opener i place a couple pine branches  and close up the tote until the opener, a day or 2 before opener I'll place everything outside to air out.  Always spray down with scentblocker going to stand and on stand. Has worked for many years. Doesnt hurt to step on a wild apple going in.

37 minutes ago, Belo said:

i have to imagine that was a joke. 

Lol.  If it was it went completely over my head.  Rob says he puts pine branches in there so i took him for real   

Im not super into scent control but i do wash and dry my clothes with earth scent detergent and dryer sheets.  But after reading this thread it seems like a lot of people pay no mind to scent control as how they store their clothes. 

• Like 1

Interesting.   Is there a reason for the shaved ivory soap?  Or is just something you always did?  
The liquid Ivory soap has a sweet oder IMO, the bar stuff doesn't have. So I buy a few bars at a dollar store, and shave a little off into the washer with my hunting clothes. Just the way I always have.
The pine branch is something I started doing about 4 years ago. Read about it somewhere, supposed to make your clothes smell like pine, which it does faintly. Does it really work to mask my scent? Probably not. But part of my routine now.
To each their own, this is just the way I do things.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, ....rob said:

The liquid Ivory soap has a sweet oder IMO, the bar stuff doesn't have. So I buy a few bars at a dollar store, and shave a little off into the washer with my hunting clothes. Just the way I always have.
The pine branch is something I started doing about 4 years ago. Read about it somewhere, supposed to make your clothes smell like pine, which it does faintly. Does it really work to mask my scent? Probably not. But part of my routine now.
To each their own, this is just the way I do things.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

If I dont have unscented body wash I use Ivory soap, im with you