Broadhead practice

Doc

I assume that you all do some broadhead practice each year just to ensure there are no surprises. But maybe you all don't. Do you do any shooting with broadheads before the hunt? What do you use that work well for targets and do not get all chopped up right away. Do you use actual broadheads or some of the "broadhead simulators" that most manufacturers offer for sale.

I use a throw-away very open-cell Styrofoam commercial target that I buy every couple of years from Walmart. I also set aside a couple of actual broadheads for the final testing and practicing.

To go out with a bow and arrow for game without first testing and practicing with the broadhead's that you'll be using, would be a big mistake. We put all that money into our bows and equipment and the time spent preparing to hunt and the end result will come down to one shot.  I think most of us learned by reading or hearing from other hunters how broadheads can fly much differently than our field points and clue us in to any tuning or form problems.

I shoot muzzy 3 blades and just use the actual head and put one in with my other practice arrows and shoot the blades quite a bit each year before the season to gain confidence. I have an old foam block that I've had for 10 years, but the center is pretty hosed out from broadheads. Last year I bought a yellojacket one at wallmart to test my crossbow broad heads.

• Like 2

I always sacrafice 2 broadheads to shoot in my target, the very best broadhead target I have found is the rinehart 18-1. You can shoot the snot out of it for years and it holds up well. A good tip that helps tremendously with broadhead tuning is a arrow roller. I have found even top tier arrow shafts will have a few that are not straight and wobble on the spinner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I bought 10 brand new muzzy for 20 dollars on AT , i sacrificed one as a target tip.

I do the same.  I use last years Muzzy's and only shoot actual broadheads.  I'll sacrifice a target everytime to replicate the real thing.  I have never been a fan of using field tips of practice broadheads, it leaves too much doubt for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I bought a practice head or it came with the pack, I don't remember which, so I didn't sacrifice anything. 

Oh, interesting. I just "declared" 1 out of the 4-pack of SlickTrick's as my practice/target one.

• Like 1

My range has a broadhead pit with some layered foam. I won't be bothering with them this year. I use the cheap broadheads from Walmart (mechanical) and cannot discern them hitting any differently than my field tips, so I am content they hit where they need to. I will confirm that on the crossbow as that is new.

As mentioned, mechanicals: I designate one of my mechanicals a practice tip and I wrap it with twine and glue so that it won't open in the target, so I can repeat the shot. I have tested out to 50 yards and if I had to bet my life on it, maybe it hits a bit lower (the wrapped twine head is less aerodynamic, so this would be expected), but I trust they hit close enough that I don't bother adjusting anything.

Super-gluing one closed would work well, too.

I do weigh my broadheads and use a collar if necessary to match weights across the board. Truly they are all so close I'm not sure I ever have needed a collar.

Edited by Core