Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

3 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

I was going to suggest scale weight, too.

Also - I graduated from PC.  What's the scoop on that puck, Tacks?

I didnt go to PC but my buddy did and his dad taught a course there in the 80s. We went to every game for a lot of years, back in the Terreri days. Im still a huge fan. What years were you there?

41 doe, you sir have a pest problem you need help, arm raised!! lol
I can move from spot to spot end beat the deer travel times. Its a little tougher with frank as I need to be able to drive up to his hunting spot since he can not walk far on uneven ground nor uphill and there is NO flat land here. Its been a long and expensive 3 years of recovery but things are turning around for the local deer herd.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, reeltime said:

I can move from spot to spot end beat the deer travel times. Its a little tougher with frank as I need to be able to drive up to his hunting spot since he can not walk far on uneven ground nor uphill and there is NO flat land here. Its been a long and expensive 3 years of recovery but things are turning around for the local deer herd.

Especially if you only shoot bucks like the one this year. Every other deer has a chance to get old too.

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I didnt go to PC but my buddy did and his dad taught a course there in the 80s. We went to every game for a lot of years, back in the Terreri days. Im still a huge fan. What years were you there?

I used to go to Hockey camp there every summer, also back in the 80's. That was when Lou Lamarillo was still the coach. Fun times. 

Decided to head out behind the house and do field overwatch. Walked up on two dinks eating....set my stuff down and took a knee in hopes momma would come out.... Turns out she was bedded 10 yards to my right in the golden rod,along with 4 other friends. Got the flag salute as I watched all 7 bound back into the thickets. Decided to see if I could cut them off and hit my stand that I haven't hunted in a few years. Finally made it through the shctuff and got in. NADA. Stand is still there, but without a cut trail it is a pain in the grundle to get back there. Gonna do a couple evening hunts this week as I'm looking to fill some doe tags!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Saw 21 doe but frank could not get a shot. The only other excitement was a road hunter stopping and was sure he was going to try and shoot one of the deer standing in the barn yard but another vehicle came down the road. Glad he didn't shoot as it would of caused me to to do more work tonight burning a CD for the warden, the person didn't know it but they were live on 2 fisheye cameras and mom was watching them with the phone in hand to make the call if they shot. The joys of being in the middle of nowhete and dealing with several old time pa traditions. Lol.

Edited by reeltime
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My brother did too, Joe Call. Korean goalie. He was such a troublemaker my parents would send him all four weeks lol, he was pretty good

If he was a trouble maker, he must've been pretty good at making duck noises. Lol

Had to take a couple of days off so I decided to go out this afternoon. Set up in the woods on a travel route between bedding areas and feeding area out of the 25 mph winds and didn't see a thing again. :banghead: Sounds like tomorrow will be a wash out with the rain & winds so may wait til the cold weather hits.

IMG_20171204_151126.jpg

Edited by Steve D

29 minutes ago, zeus1gdsm said:

Tomorrow is my day to go... do the mid day sit with a tree umbrella 9-2

or take the last hour and a half evening sit?

Washout all day 75%+ chance of rain. High 40s

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wonder if many folks have shot a deer from under one of those while it is raining?  The rain hitting them is so loud it sounds like a drum.   I guess they might be ok at high-powered rifle range, but probably not so good while bowhunting.   Your odds are definitely better than mine will be while at work though.   I still have (3) DMP's, and a buck tag to work on in the snow this weekend, and a antlerless only bow/ml tag for the following weekend (sorry about my error on that last one earlier JL - good catch).      

Edited by wolc123

42 degrees.  High winds and pouring. Perfect day not to shoot a deer and keep my string alive. Did bring daughters youth 20 though as its proven to make noise. Think I’ll sit in the car for a bit to keep dry until marching in. Wolc , Hoping to shoot another one from underneath my umbrella. Maybe even a bb   Good luck to all going out today before the snow flies this week. Parking in the bushes off the road in snow becomes fun lol. Hoping to make this terrible season turn around today. Gotta be in it to win it. 

• Like 2

Pass in this wind...besides..RIVER wore me out yesterday...in a good way...he's so cute...but man...he can move!

TF..That deer study...says today is the best day to kill a deer...high day time sightings...go figure...GOOD LUCK, ...BE SAFE

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

42 degrees.  High winds and pouring. Perfect day not to shoot a deer and keep my string alive. Did bring daughters youth 20 though as its proven to make noise. Think I’ll sit in the car for a bit to keep dry until marching in. Wolc , Hoping to shoot another one from underneath my umbrella. Maybe even a bb   Good luck to all going out today before the snow flies this week. Parking in the bushes off the road in snow becomes fun lol. Hoping to make this terrible season turn around today. Gotta be in it to win it. 

got a feeling we are all living thru you again today while we post up in our office chairs.  Good luck!  and keep us entertained with some BBD pics! 

once the downpour quits. im going in. It only takes me 13 minutes to get to me spot. so no rush. think ill do some slow roll down the sewer line and head for the pines. going to watch the back of a winter wheat field tonight.Go get em turkey feathers. i havent seen a deer where im going since bow season. lots of tracks lots of acorns so feed is very abundant. waiting for some snow to maybe change my chances. again i saw nothing last night . I thought something was coming across the swamp but it turned out to be ducks and not bucks. oh well it was exciting.

Finally got frank into the blind. Its pouring rain here but warm. If the deer didn't change their routine this morning they should be here in 18 minutes.
On a good note the 4 wd works in the new truck lol.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I wonder if many folks have shot a deer from under one of those while it is raining?  The rain hitting them is so loud it sounds like a drum.   I guess they might be ok at high-powered rifle range, but probably not so good while bowhunting.   Your odds are definitely better than mine will be while at work though.   I still have (3) DMP's, and a buck tag to work on in the snow this weekend, and a antlerless only bow/ml tag for the following weekend (sorry about my error on that last one earlier JL - good catch).      

I've had many deer within 50 yards while the umbrella was up and it was raining. It doesn't seem to bother them at all. I even managed to shoot a few. 

hope one of you guys has some action.  I am missing hunting and cant get out til Friday at least.  If no posts of BBD or freezer queens in the truck by 8:30 i am gonna be forced to start a thread about ..........................." the decline of bigfoot being due to the low numbers of jackalope (bigfoots primary food source) because of no AR restrictions on jackelope bucks being implemented and that with crossbows being legal its easier to hunt them"...........please,  please dont make me do it! 

• Like 2