Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Finally reset my password. So to catch up...I did not take a shot at the 2.5 year old white doe who stood taunting me in my shooting lane on Oct. 1st. That's a good thing, because I learned afterward that it is being protected by my dad and stepmom, whose property I was hunting on. I finally learned where the honey hole is on that property, at least this year. The deer would not tolerate a ground blind regardless of where it was or how brushed in it was. So I hung a low stand at a place now nicknamed, "the apple tree deer disco." I'm finally one of those people seeing deer every day out. Unfortunately, I have yet to connect in a way that brings one home. Highlight was yesterday's 30 yard shot with the crossbow that hit a buck in the shoulder blade. Loudest sound outside of a gunshot I've heard while hunting. Pretty sure I'll see him a again. No blood. No dead deer after a through search last night and this morning. Trail camera is up on his route.  Hoping to see evidence of him up and around and hopefully get another shot at him. Today's day of tree surfing in the rain, featured the respectable 6 point that appeared behind my stand just in time to witness me climbing down. Convinced that I would see no deer today, caused me to name that guy "No Deer." I hope to see No Deer in the future too. 

A little bummed I didn’t go out this afternoon as they called for downpours in 8f. But it was just a little warm and windy is all. But I wash washing clothes and putting the lawnmower away.

Dang though on a non Bills Sunday I shoulda been in the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody else noticing the bucks are not responding to cans, grunts, snorts....? I've had it happen and seem to see it from a lot of posts here?

Had a snort weezing fighting monster and another shooter the other day completely ignore me. Then a skipper last night do the same. Dad thinks I should be more aggressive. Idk... sometime I think they’re like hened up toms. Nothing gonna move them.

• Like 1

Ground hunt was a bust in 4L. Around sundown, I heard blow out downwind. Never saw them, and the sound was distant.

The only deer I saw were the three or so in the driveway when I walked up. It was too dark to identify any of them, but I'm betting they were browsing does.

I don't think there's much rut excitement up on the mountain just yet. I did see a fresh rub near an old community scrape last evening, but that's basically it.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good hunt this afternoon.  Saw a monster at about 70 yards from my ground blind (tree blowdown in swamp).  He was only about 25 yards from a pop up blind (that I wasn't  in ).  Grunted a couple of times but he didn't show any interest.  He hung around for a few minutes then vanished in the heavy stuff.

20171020_174025.jpg

• Like 3

Thunderstorms are rolling thru now and raining like mad. I hope it keeps the overnight deer activity to a minimum so their raring to go tomorrow morning while I'm using the xbow

Edited by zag
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 6:24 PM, Pygmy said:

HE'S A dandy  !!.....Congrats, John  !!  I want to know what that bad boy weighs, dressed..!!

Dan, he hit 194 on the scale. 21” & 22” main beams with an 18” spread. Tons of fat on him. He was eating good. 

***I have to correct this, as I was told tonight that the scale I used is off by 14-15lbs so weight is actually around 180.

6212CE70-EA88-4DD2-9FA5-E5B703509FDF.jpeg

6C1F40F8-6F9F-4D5E-9B1B-4B3542885697.jpeg

• Like 11

well turkeys should be easy to spot today as they all should be wearing bright orange life jackets, minga did it ever storm here last night. the lightning was unreal and the amount of rain has caused all kinds of flooding. Once it gets daylight I need to go check on some of our elderly neighbors to make sure they are all ok. 

I set a double ladder stand for dad yesterday but the wind wont be right this morning, I talked him into going saturday afternoon, dads 84 and he says his get up and go got up and went, lol. we may set that stand this afternoon if the wind is right.

If everything is good to go after daylight I will be hitting the woods in search of turkeys.

Edited by reeltime

I just climbed into the creek side tree I picked out the other day and if it keeps raining it will be in the creek. I went over my boots getting back here. I just dropped my kids off for four day field trips, quick hunt before work since I had to be up anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just climbed into the creek side tree I picked out the other day and if it keeps raining it will be in the creek. I went over my boots getting back here. I just dropped my kids off for four day field trips, quick hunt before work since I had to be up anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro