Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Well didn't get a deer Saturday but had a great day.  I was going to sit until 2pm. I saw what I believe to be 7 different deer 5 buck & 2 doe. I saw what I thought was my last one around 10:30 am. As I was packing up at 1:45 all of a sudden there were deer running everywhere.  A 4pt. & a 6pt. were chasing doe all around under my stand the 6pt chased away the 4pt  then a doe left but he still had the one which 5 min. later he mounted about 30 yds. from me. when they finished   up(about a min. 2 stroker) they almost both fell over. They walked apart about 15yrds. & stood there just panting, like 2 teens doing it the first time, well about 5 min later he chased her again ,she stood still & he mounted her again & the same happened.  I had 2 good chances the shoot him but I figured any guy that gets laid twice in 10 mins. deserves to live!  lol  First time I actually saw this in 50+ yrs of hunting, have seen the chase but never the mounting up close.

• Like 7

With the NW wind I am  set up in a gully stand. Hopefully they come out of the pines cross checking or come up low out of the gully..laid down doe urine on way in..Put  rutting buck and rutting doe wicks out. Did a few doe beats and a couple of grunts...nothing yet..heads on swivel  with the wind and wet  can't' hear anything but whooshing and dripping..gurgling  in gully..it's  running good.

1509984787812-1997141198.jpg

11 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

there is no way possible that bucks arent chasing, I dont care where you hunt

I would tend to agree with this but I was in the woods Saturday and Sunday and saw doe with no bucks chasing and a couple different bucks just moving slow...minding their own business. I haven't seen evidence of it yet

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I would really appreciate someone reporting on some chasing going on in 3S or 3N. Otherwise, I don't have any motivation for Thursday!

I would let your motivation be that things can change at any second...   my friend took a nice buck at my camp on 10/21 that was chasing a doe that was bleating..   It can happen at any time...   that is always my motivation this time of year...

• Like 2

My buddy David just texted that a monster stopped by 5 min ago.   Huge but gave no shot and spooked at his decoy.  Haven't seen anything but now is the time to be out.  Just need some luck.  

Phade also had a big boy at 65 yards tending a doe yesterday.  

Me, I got squirrels.  Lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

My buddy David just texted that a monster stopped by 5 min ago.   Huge but gave no shot and spooked at his decoy.  Haven't seen anything but now is the time to be out.  Just need some luck.  

Phade also had a big boy at 65 yards tending a doe yesterday.  

Me, I got squirrels.  Lol

Thats how it is now, youre either in the game or bubkus lol

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I can guarantee that they were not chasing in my area. Just spent a 9 days in the woods and didn't see a scrape pop up. Saw does and  a couple small bucks and they were just eating  and going on there merrry way.  At least 8 hours a day for 9 days in good spots and nothing this week might be a different story but last week it wasn't happening.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

Well didn't get a deer Saturday but had a great day.  I was going to sit until 2pm. I saw what I believe to be 7 different deer 5 buck & 2 doe. I saw what I thought was my last one around 10:30 am. As I was packing up at 1:45 all of a sudden there were deer running everywhere.  A 4pt. & a 6pt. were chasing doe all around under my stand the 6pt chased away the 4pt  then a doe left but he still had the one which 5 min. later he mounted about 30 yds. from me. when they finished   up(about a min. 2 stroker) they almost both fell over. They walked apart about 15yrds. & stood there just panting, like 2 teens doing it the first time, well about 5 min later he chased her again ,she stood still & he mounted her again & the same happened.  I had 2 good chances the shoot him but I figured any guy that gets laid twice in 10 mins. deserves to live!  lol  First time I actually saw this in 50+ yrs of hunting, have seen the chase but never the mounting up close.

I seen them mate once. I let him finish then shot him. At that point I realized that when I die I wouldn't mind going out in the same fashion. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Well they aren’t chasing my does/fawns yet. On both properties in separate counties I have a resident doe with 2 fawns. I seen them in both counties every time out, but they have yet to be chased. Bucks I’ve seen are alone and no swelling of the neck yet. Temps will go from 60s today to 20s later this week. It will be on for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have mostly had bubkus every sit.  I may even shoot a doe if the opportunity comes. 

i think it's feast or famine time. I've either had great action or nothing. rare to have anything mixed these last few sits. I too am thinking a nice high probability shot on a big doe during a morning sit will probably get me to draw.

• Like 1

Only thing moving in the woods this am was fog and rain, I ran home and threw my outside layers in the drier now back at the land. Starting a fire in the cabin and headed out to a stand near a bedding area for a few hrs than moving to the evening stand with a cabin break to warm up if needed.

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If you need to be talked into hunting the first couple weeks of November I dont know what to tell you. Not all does come into heat at the same time, thats why the bucks are "Seeking" and "Chasing". Be out there, it can happen any second

this.

end of discussion. 

• Like 4