Last minute touches

biggamefish

27 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

So I am just checking to make things are super sharp for tomorrow. What are your last minute touches?

20170930_085136.jpg

Sweeeeet broadheads...I added the fixed 2 blade and heavy arrows to my tech this season, maybe next year I'll complete the set and actually use my traditional bow...teehee.

Everything Is as settled as it's gonna be by tomorrow first light.

I'm kicking around the idea of heading out right now 55 mins north to a public spot I've hunted maybe 5 times, but I've got Monday to hunt so I'm trying not to burn out (2 young kids at home).

Decisions...

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Waiting for the clothes to dry out from spraying, retested broadheads yesterday and did minor adjustments to string for proper cam alignment.  (Thanks Wa at Suffolk Archers!)  Have to get some food and batteries and I am all set.  Need to clean binoculars new roll of TP, calls, rope flashlights extra release and I am set.  Going to hunt from a ghost blind tomorrow, hope the wind stays steady.   Now I just need some extra sleep, yea right!   Shoot straight and good luck!  

9 hours ago, biggamefish said:

So I am just checking to make things are super sharp for tomorrow. What are your last minute touches?

20170930_085136.jpg

I always "chisel point" fixed blade broadheads. It prevents curling of the tip on bone inpact and if a large bone is encountered they will be more likely to deflect and slide by rather than stick in the bone.

iAk7wu9.jpg

At one time I honed a razor edge on the blades but went to file sharpening with a finish up on ceramic sticks. That produces a micro-serrated edge that cuts trough hair & bone better and does not dull as easily as a finely honed edge.

BTW, I like your "spliced" cock feather. I used to do the same thing.

kY0tOx1.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Not being able to sleep due to anticipation, I just went out to my truck, brought my day pack in to triple check it. Glad I did, forgot to put the cord to secure my camo burlap to trees/brush in there.

It's back in the truck and now I am ready.

Just wish I could get to sleep.

33 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Not being able to sleep due to anticipation, I just went out to my truck, brought my day pack in to triple check it. Glad I did, forgot to put the cord to secure my camo burlap to trees/brush in there.

It's back in the truck and now I am ready.

Just wish I could get to sleep.

I’m about to give up on trying to sleep.

11 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

I always "chisel point" fixed blade broadheads. It prevents curling of the tip on bone inpact and if a large bone is encountered they will be more likely to deflect and slide by rather than stick in the bone.

iAk7wu9.jpg

At one time I honed a razor edge on the blades but went to file sharpening with a finish up on ceramic sticks. That produces a micro-serrated edge that cuts trough hair & bone better and does not dull as easily as a finely honed edge.

BTW, I like your "spliced" cock feather. I used to do the same thing.

kY0tOx1.jpg

I chiseled the tips a little bit. I ran one into a rock last year just had to reshape no fold over they are great heads.

That's some fancy cresting right there. Always makes for a beautiful arrow.

Edited by biggamefish

1 hour ago, biggamefish said:

I chiseled the tips a little bit. I ran one into a rock last year just had to reshape no fold over they are great heads.

That's some fancy cresting right there. Always makes for a beautiful arrow.

Fold over usually occurs when a semi hard object like bone is encountered. The pointy tip catches and penetrates just enough to catch and fold over the tip slightly stopping penetration. That doesn't usually occur with rocks. The chisel tip will either cut trough a small bone like a rib, or likely deflect and penetrate the vitals.

Even a slight chisel tip is much stronger than a sharp point in that respect.

May you have good luck.

• Like 1