any one else already thinking about what changes to make for next year

rob-c

we are on our third year on our lease, and every time we hunt I learn how the deer use the property. we have a total of 10 ladder stands and 4 produce deer sightings every time one of us sits in them. we moved 2 stands before this season and looks like one of the two is going to be a really good set .put up 3 new ones and one is going to be a great gun stand. so I have found  3 new spots just from observing the deer movement that will get stands before next year and I want to put up at least 5 more total. its fun to watch  how the deer use different features compared to all the pro's out there that say deer will do  this or that. i know allot of you guys hunt from hang on stands and will move as needed but we love our ladder stands.   So how many changes are you going to make before next season..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I have been since Bow season opened! lol I already cant wait to do the work! Stand locations, tree plantings, tree/brush removal etc.. the labor is the fun part

OH yes the  fun part is definitely the labor and to test myself to see if my woodsman ship skills that I think I have pays off and my son and wife see deer consistently over the season...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

we are on our third year on our lease, and every time we hunt I learn how the deer use the property. we have a total of 10 ladder stands and 4 produce deer sightings every time one of us sits in them. we moved 2 stands before this season and looks like one of the two is going to be a really good set .put up 3 new ones and one is going to be a great gun stand. so I have found  3 new spots just from observing the deer movement that will get stands before next year and I want to put up at least 5 more total. its fun to watch  how the deer use different features compared to all the pro's out there that say deer will do  this or that. i know allot of you guys hunt from hang on stands and will move as needed but we love our ladder stands.   So how many changes are you going to make before next season..

that is one of the best things about hunting ..... its the puzzle to figure it out.  Def already have some changes in mind with cutting some brush to open up some stands more .  Always looking to improve the odds every year.  Many years have found that where i put a stand was ok but found a better spot for next year where deer were skirting by...... or how to have stands setup for different wind directions ...... etc.  love the planning near as much as the hunting itself.  Last couple of days I have been planning out how the opener of gun season will be setup.  In the winter I make a to do list of changes and things for the summer to be ready for the next deer season.  Its a year round hobby for sure .  ( and we on our 4th year of a lease and have taken two deer every year from the lease.  This year no one has taken a deer yet.......but I have gotten 2 does from other properties I hunt and have passed does and some bucks looking for a big one this year.  But once gun season hits its usually whatever we see. )  

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I have been since Bow season opened! lol I already cant wait to do the work! Stand locations, tree plantings, tree/brush removal etc.. the labor is the fun part

Ha , not for me anymore , I rarely do any work other then move a stand or two, and I certinly don't look forward to that .

Sometimes I think I should just shoot the first couple deer I see in gun and call it a season , maybe bow hunt  a couple nice days . All the time and work I,used to do, when I could fill the freezer, without doing any of it .

There are tw folks I often shoot a deer for as the don't hunt but enjoy the meat, they may be the smartest ones .

19 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I may change my thinking about shooting 4 point bucks . I passed on 4 of them . I still have my buck tags . 

Cut the tags into small pieces. Using a small pot, fill it with water and add the tags. Put a pinch of salt and seasoning as required. Bring to a boil for 15 minutes and serve the tags over a bed of noodles covered in tomato sauce. One season's tags will provide 1 serving.

• Like 2

I am seriously thinking about performing a Moog-ism, and pulling out my old Damon Howatt recurve, and going old-school. I also have a Bear Mustang take-down recurve that I might mess around with. That is if I can still pull either one back. I'm thinking I might try full instinctive, the way I started bow hunting way, way, back in the old days before I got led astray by the lure of technology.

• Like 2

Finally put the pieces together from past 2 seasons to get in position to see deer, 17 so far.  It's been awesome!  I'm still learning how to hunt with the xbow (grazed a doe the other night), but so far I've gained a ton of experience to apply in future seasons (stand placements, shooting lanes, weapon manipulation, etc).  Very close to putting all the pieces together for this small area.

Nope, as a pure meat hunter, the plan is coming together like clockwork right now.   If it ain't broke don't fix it.   One more average-sized deer should get us plenty to last for another year, and I still have all of gun season and late ML.  The slob I killed with my crossbow on Friday was so heavy (according to the PA "how much meat will you get" chart that someone posted based on chest girth measurement), that we probably have enough now.  If it gets tight around September or October next year, I may have to put the kids on half rations.   They have already named the fat slob hanging out in our garage "Taco".     I will go out now and fetch the tenderloins for lunch with my oldest daughter, before her sister and mother get home from the in-laws place in the Adirondacks.  Reading a couple pages from the Bible each morning before leaving the house, and every so often up in the stand, pays off in spades.     

I guess I could use a plan to fill some antlerless tags however.  Full inclusion of Crossbow would help a ton with that, but the anti's will probably manage to hold that off until hell freezes over.    

Edited by wolc123

Ive come to the realisation that i should hunt a new location. I have no interest in competing with the guy behind us that has a 200+ acre deer farm essentially . This year was the lowest amount of deer in the last 12 years . I keep going back because it's convenient. Every few years we might get a mature deer wonder over but it's nothing regular. Some cameras this year only showed 3 deer after sitting for 3 weeks ,this was the first year I have never seen a rub or scrape anywhere. I guess I'll become a public land hunter next year for archery anyway,I don't trust other hunters during gun season.