Killed while walking her dogs at 5:30, that's dark

Curmudgeon

On 11/24/2017 at 8:48 PM, outdoorstom said:

200 yards with a pistol? who would even take that shot at a deer in daylight??

It was most likely an Encore or Contender or something similar. They are typically chambered in rifle calibers. I had one that was chambered in .260 Rem and killed deer at that type of range with it.

Easy there, you can be hunting coyote and fox at night, last time I checked you can be hunting coons too. This guy was reckless and should be dealt with accordingly, but don't shun everyone that enjoys hunting at night for other species. 
The shooter stated....he thought she was a deer......not a coon, fox, or coyote....so no reason to be shooting that late!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, knehrke said:

It's going to make me think real carefully about what's behind where I'm firing.

5 hours ago, knehrke said:

Lol. My wife has more common sense than any other ten people you could round up

Sounds like the wife should be doing all the thinking...or maybe she is:lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Very true. I have a feeling a lot of kettles calling the pot black.

i have no issue with hunting 30 min before and after sunset. we all know how well you can see at these times. I do have issue with shooting 200 yards at this time with a pistol at was obviously a human. I can only hope he was shooting at the yellow lab and missed. That is not acceptable, but easier to understand that he thought it was a deer.

This story is why I wear bright orange vest and hat even on my own parents' private land. I also always use a flashlight in the morning and night even when I don't need it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Easy there, you can be hunting coyote and fox at night, last time I checked you can be hunting coons too. This guy was reckless and should be dealt with accordingly, but don't shun everyone that enjoys hunting at night for other species. 

True, very true but I thought we were talking explicitly of deer

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

This story is why I wear bright orange vest and hat even on my own parents' private land. I also always use a flashlight in the morning and night even when I don't need it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

ditto. orange hat minimum even on private land and same with the headlamp. if tracking or hunting more trespasser prone land in 7j, the vest goes on as well. I recommend the frog togs vest that zippers up into a ball and can just be thrown in the pack easily. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

30 min before and after sunrise sunset is the common time for all game in my except deer.. You have to see a beard on a turkey or what kind of duck your shooting at those times..i sure as heck can identify a deer.. 

Both of these are sorry excuses of hunters period. The best thing of bow hunting is learning how to get close..unfortunately tv shows seem to push the long range shooting .. I never consider long range shoot as anything more than target practice. 99% of the time the game doesn't even know it's being hunted... Just my opinion but I'm more impressed with the Hunter that stalks or takes game at close range.than a guy shooting a monster across a field.. 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Steve D said:

Sounds like the wife should be doing all the thinking...or maybe she is:lol:

Lol! We have an agreement. My wife agrees to do the thinking and I agree to do what she tells me...when she tells me to purchase land so that I have a place to hunt without worrying about who else is out there, what choice did I have? We bought property.

Seriously, though, if concern for being shot prevented us from taking our families for a walk, then the same concern should keep us from taking our sons and daughters hunting (notice I didn't include husbands/wives:rofl:). What a shame that would be.

20 hours ago, Larry said:

1: it does not matter what she was wearing. You as the hunter are responsible for identifying your target

Back in the late 80s, I was hunting the edge of a swamp when I came upon a most odd creature. It was uniformly brown, had 4 legs, a horizontal back and it's head down where I couldn't see it. I was within shooting range, and had a doe and a buck tag. Given the strange way the creature was moving, I put my binoculars on it. Then it raised its head. It was one of my neighbors in carhart coveralls bending over checking muskrat traps during deer season. He's lucky it was me and not a truck-shooting idiot out there that day.

• Like 7

On 11/27/2017 at 7:25 PM, Curmudgeon said:

Back in the late 80s, I was hunting the edge of a swamp when I came upon a most odd creature. It was uniformly brown, had 4 legs, a horizontal back and it's head down where I couldn't see it. I was within shooting range, and had a doe and a buck tag. Given the strange way the creature was moving, I put my binoculars on it. Then it raised its head. It was one of my neighbors in carhart coveralls bending over checking muskrat traps during deer season. He's lucky it was me and not a truck-shooting idiot out there that day.

A big reason why I never wear my brown coveralls or bibs into woods. The only time I do is when I'm doing firewood even then I wear a orange or red shirt and hope the sight of the chainsaw keeps people from shooting me. Although they have those crazy bears that play guitars and banjos.

13 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

A big reason why I never wear my brown coveralls or bibs into woods. The only time I do is when I'm doing firewood even then I wear a orange or red shirt and hope the sight of the chainsaw keeps people from shooting me. Although they have those crazy bears that play guitars and banjos.

while still inexcusable to shoot a guy wearing carhartts, i agree that it's asking for trouble. any dog walker should be wearing something bright during hunting season and any biker or walker should have some lights/reflective vests on. it amazes me the people i barely see while driving that are in all black just walking the shoulder especially during these days of limited light. 

On 11/27/2017 at 9:54 AM, outdoorstom said:

Live and learn!

And since I was uploading pics from an external hard drive (if that's the proper term) from an old computer of mine, here is some pics to help explain:

The bench & setup:

XlIxcY2.jpg

The terrain:

aQIuGHu.jpg

Pistol & shooter:

bjwRlez.jpg

• Like 4