Passed on an invite for a drive

BowmanMike

Friends if mine are planning a big drive on Saturday,maybe 9 people. I have no tags but I think where I am right now in my hunter evolution I don't feel like being part of a drive anyway. It is more fun to see if I am lucky stillhunting on my own than waiting in a spot for a deer to come blazing past. 

What do you guys feel like doing?

5 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

I’ll push bedding for my friends on the last weekend of the season, but a large scale drive no way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i do the exact same thing on the last weekend.  One pusher - me- and two/three guys setting.  We dont get close enough to be too close , I just try to get the deer moving on trails there way.  Was in a couple drives before and all i do is panic about where everyone is - wasnt a bit of fun . 

it s a great way to get a deer but the shots are usually at running deer. Ive had wounded deer running at me and had to put them down but if i missed it was on to an awful death. Its better if other guys on different plots push them to us. ever since the land was sold there are never deer running around anymore , the guy is a trophy hunter. deer movement is way slower in middelport.

If a drive is done properly deer are not flying by. They are in fact only suposed to be moving at a quick walk at best. There is a lot of planning and skill in doing a good drive.. I have done them with up to 21 people and they are very sucessful.

Rules especially safety rules are to be strictly adheared to. Our biggest one is if you are in a stand you stay in the stand till drive is done even if you just shot a world record!!! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

as opposed to plopping your butt in a stand and sitting?

Yea absolutely.  It takes time and preparation to hunt the right way and not to mention getting up at 5am or earlier.  Rather than meet somewhere at 10 am and push the deers bedding areas 

14 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Drives are for posers and lazy hunters.  Sorry, I know I am offending people here but do not care............

You have never been part of a drive then.. We go thru multiflora rise so thick your clothes are shredded when you get out.. Their is no stopping to get un stuck  ..there is no other way to get deer to move out of it..  Blood and scars are common.. Some of our best mature bucks are taken on a drive. 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

If you cant friggin fill your doe tags without putting on a drive then you do not belong in the woods

Why does it have to be a  matter of can't?  I know a lot of very good hunters that CHOOSE to do it from time to time becasue it can not only be effective but fun. 

• Like 3

I participate in drives a few days per season with buddies. I prefer smaller, quiet drives where we plan them out, use the wind to our advantage and gently bump the deer along. Other times, we have larger groups, but we still apply the same basic tactics.

I can only take so much of them though, I would much rather be still hunting, on stand or doing small pushes with one or two other people, but we hunt working farms where filling the farm DMAPs is the name of the game. Farmers dont give a rats ass how the deer are killed, as long as it happens, and well planned drives are a good way to get tags filled.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Yea I was part of plenty of drives when my grandfather and father and uncles use to make us kids drive every sat.  Didnt think it was right then....

That's not the way to properly drive.. You were used plain and simple .. Your experience is not the way it's done..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Yea absolutely.  It takes time and preparation to hunt the right way and not to mention getting up at 5am or earlier.  Rather than meet somewhere at 10 am and push the deers bedding areas 

I love this statement!  LOL  Oh the travesty of getting up at 5am!  And I guess that's only on the days you hunt?  I have no problem getting up at 4am EVERY morning, so I guess that makes YOU lazier than me!  LOL

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I love this statement!  LOL  Oh the travesty of getting up at 5am!  And I guess that's only on the days you hunt?  I have no problem getting up at 4am EVERY morning, so I guess that makes YOU lazier than me!  LOL

LOL, yep, Im up at 4:30-5am every day to go to work. Wakey wakey time to go hunt is no big deal at all.

Gotta love these guys that come on here and spout off that anyone that hunts differently than the way they do, dont hunt "correctly".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Shit, I get to sleep in till 5 on days I can hunt. 

• Like 2

Drives are really not my way to hunt but have nothing against it. Did a lot of driving when I was younger (stupid) with 10-20 guys at a time. I think back on drivers wearing Carharts and little orange. Neighbors to the north of me drive on opening day in the morning, sounds crazy but they took two real nice 8 pts this year driving their property. I would still hunt by myself. I'll be up last day then 3 day muzzleloader. I'll have my brother with me we may put on a few drives but they are more like 1 person still hunting walks, no yelling or whistles.