Best NY legal crossbow for hunting?

Jdubs

Hunting xbow season really opened my eyes to the harvest opportunity I've been missing by skipping archery hunting.  Unfortunately, my own inexperience, coupled with an entry-level xbow, prevented me from filling a couple tags this early season.  Hopefully, I will redeem myself in the late season.

Based on this experience, however, it's clear that I need to invest in a better xbow.  I had no problems finding the deer.  Requirements would include being easy to handle in a tree stand (without a rail), reliable with accuracy and effectiveness at 40 yards (minimum).  My budget is roughly $1,000.

What xbows would you recommend? TenPoint Eclipse RCX and Stealth FX4 are both on my short list.  An illuminated scope for low light is a must.  I'm definitely a 'Buy once, cry once' guy and don't want to miss another opportunity due to an unreliable weapon system.  

What entry-level crossbow do you have ?   I am 3/3 on deer with my 300 fps, 150 pound draw weight, Barnett Recruit.  All three bucks died within 40 yards from where they were hit.  The shot ranges were 59, 15, and 30 yards.   Penetration was marginal on the first and longest shot (only 8"), but fortunately that took the mechanical broadhead all the way thru the heart.  I would call that Recruit a legit 50 yard weapon for deer and I purchased and use a laser rangefinder, after that marginal long range penetration, to be sure that I stay under 50 yards going forward.  

I really like the light weight, narrow width, smooth trigger, and ease of handling of this inexpensive model ($250 package deal with illuminated dot scope).  Right now it is a tossup if and when full inclusion hits on whether or not I will upgrade a bit.  I may just purchase another one of these for backup, as I am pretty content with a 50 yard range during archery season.  

The 30 yard shot that I made with the Recruit this year, in the fading light of the late afternoon, was definitely the riskiest of all the shots that I have taken on deer to this point with the Recruit.   That shot was taken in the woods, at a walking buck, while the other two shots were taken across open fields at standing bucks.   When I revisited that stand in the mid-day light, and saw my bolt stuck in the ground, I could not believe all the small branches it threaded thru on the way to double lunging that buck.

I have a very good friend who struck and wounded a nice buck with his $ 1200 crossbow this season.  The lesson here is that dollars do not provide certainty of getting the job done.  If you have read any of my previous posts, you will know Who I give ALL of the credit for getting it done every time.  If not, here is a little hint for you:  Get yourself a Bible and read it a bit.  In there you will learn who controls the fate of all living things, which certainly includes Whitetail deer.  Stay on good terms with Him, and they end up in your freezer every time.  No amount of money is going to get that job done any better.   It is no wonder that He shows special favor on those who choose a Crossbow.   

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

What entry-level crossbow do you have ?   I am 3/3 on deer with my 300 fps, 150 pound draw weight, Barnett Recruit.  All three bucks died within 40 yards from where they were hit.  The shot ranges were 59, 15, and 30 yards.   Penetration was marginal on the first and longest shot (only 8"), but fortunately that took the mechanical broadhead all the way thru the heart.  I would call that Recruit a legit 50 yard weapon for deer and I purchased and use a laser rangefinder, after that marginal long range penetration, to be sure that I stay under 50 yards going forward.  

I really like the light weight, narrow width, smooth trigger, and ease of handling of this inexpensive model ($250 package deal with illuminated dot scope).  Right now it is a tossup if and when full inclusion hits on whether or not I will upgrade a bit.  I may just purchase another one of these for backup, as I am pretty content with a 50 yard range during archery season.  

The 30 yard shot that I made with the Recruit this year, in the fading light of the late afternoon, was definitely the riskiest of all the shots that I have taken on deer to this point with the Recruit.   That shot was taken in the woods, at a walking buck, while the other two shots were taken across open fields at standing bucks.   When I revisited that stand in the mid-day light, and saw my bolt stuck in the ground, I could not believe all the small branches it threaded thru on the way to double lunging that buck.

I have a very good friend who struck and wounded a nice buck with his $ 1200 crossbow this season.  The lesson here is that dollars do not provide certainty of getting the job done.  If you have read any of my previous posts, you will know Who I give ALL of the credit for getting it done every time.  If not, here is a little hint for you:  Get yourself a Bible and read it a bit.  In there you will learn who controls the fate of all living things, which certainly includes Whitetail deer.  Stay on good terms with Him, and they end up in your freezer every time.  No amount of money is going to get that job done any better.   It is no wonder that He shows special favor on those who choose a Crossbow.   

Let me nip this right in the bud: I do NOT need another entry-level xbow or any preaching.  My daily ritual, hunting or not, includes prayer and I am very thankful for all blessings, great and small.  What I need is an xbow capable of delivering reliable kill shots when I do my part.  I don't need another miss (from a loose screw) or missed opportunity (mature buck out of range).

4 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Let me nip this right in the bud: I do NOT need another entry-level xbow or any preaching.  My daily ritual, hunting or not, includes prayer and I am very thankful for all blessings, great and small.  What I need is an xbow capable of delivering reliable kill shots when I do my part.  I don't need another miss (from a loose screw) or missed opportunity (mature buck out of range).

What make / model do you have with the loose screw ?  What kind of effective range are you looking for ?

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Come on man..........you gotta stop with this.

I can't help it that you can't handle the truth.  Eventually it will catch up to you.  Until then I will keep up with the reminders. 

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

What make / model do you have with the loose screw ?  What kind of effective range are you looking for ?

I can't help it that you can't handle the truth.  Eventually it will catch up to you.  Until then I will keep up with the reminders. 

Barnett Jackal.  I want an effective, no bs kill range of 40 yards, minimum.

And absolutely, please knock off your preaching in my thread.   My relationship with Him is way more solid than my relationship with the Jackal.  I need a new xbow, not faith. Go start your own thread if you feel the need to discuss the religious benefits of hunting with an xbow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Barnett Jackal.  I want an effective, no bs kill range of 40 yards, minimum.

And absolutely, please knock off your preaching in my thread.   My relationship with Him is way more solid than my relationship with the Jackal.  I need a new xbow, not faith. Go start your own thread if you feel the need to discuss the religious benefits of hunting with an xbow.

So far you got recommendations for a couple $ 250 Barnetts that have gotten the job done for one reason or another.   Hopefully, someone will chime in on a high-dollar model for you so you can unload that cash that is burning a hole in your pocket.   Hopefully, you will meet with some success and I am sorry if I have offended you by speaking the truth. 

15 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

So far you got recommendations for a couple $ 250 Barnetts that have gotten the job done for one reason or another.   Hopefully, someone will chime in on a high-dollar model for you so you can unload that cash that is burning a hole in your pocket.   Hopefully, you will meet with some success and I am sorry if I have offended you by speaking the truth. 

I'm not saying that all entry-level xbows are ineffective.   I truly believe the Jackal is a capable, albeit unweildy weapon within a limited range, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting hours in a tree stand hunting with it.  However, I want a higher degree of reliability, handling and performance and I'm willing to invest my hard-earned money in that weapon system.  Never would have posted this thread if I was 100% confident and satisfied with the Jackal.  Any replies from those having a positive experience with better xbows is appreciated.

Edited by Jdubs

Entry level Xbows are okay, it's merely the scope that is questionable in the Mfger's cost saving that generally ruins the 1st time buyer's experience. If all you expect out of a 1st time Xbow is to get your feet wet with the experience, they're fine. But you do have to go into the experience with some reservations about your expectations of the Xbow.

Like the OP, I wanted a Xbow I wouldn't possibly regret buying and be happy using for 6-8yrs. Went with a Ten Point (Turbo) and it's  been a great Xbow. With the Alum arrows I use, think I'm in the ~325fps range with just over 100Ke. Once sighted-in per mfger's instructions, it was right on from 20->50yrds. Never needed to add any Kentucky windage or +/- variables to sight X-hairs/dots at yardages +/- the 30yrd zeroing.

Think the OP'er may have mistakenly referenced 40yrds as a minimum distance, meaning max....? Have shot deer at 40yrds with mine and would never attempt anything beyond that. Once you shot a Xbow out to 50yrds+ and watch the arrow arc thru the air, taking what seems like an eternity to hit the target... you'll see what I mean.

JMO, If you hunt from a treestand w/o a gun rail, you may want a short adjustable shooting stick to be able to keep Xbow shouldered for any length of time. Xbow's are super unbalance with most of weight forward of the fore-end hand grip point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Do you even realize the crap you say ? Not only does your last sentence not offer an apology but it does the exact opposite by spewing the truth garbage at the end . 

• Like 2

use locktite on the screws and replace the scope. I have the Barnett ghost 360. it actually shoots at 350. with the arrows that came with it. I would have to say its a pretty nice crossbow for the money. I will leave any religious comments out of my answer, since jesus doesn't hunt.

this has been very reliable for me i have used it for two seasons and am thrilled with it. and i got a pretty sweet deal. Its not a $1000 dollar bow but it gets the job done very nicely.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vizslas said:

use locktite on the screws and replace the scope. I have the Barnett ghost 360. it actually shoots at 350. with the arrows that came with it. I would have to say its a pretty nice crossbow for the money. I will leave any religious comments out of my answer, since jesus doesn't hunt.

this has been very reliable for me i have used it for two seasons and am thrilled with it. and i got a pretty sweet deal. Its not a $1000 dollar bow but it gets the job done very nicely.

I'll admit to being far more familiar with firearms.  After removing the scope, I found that the factory did actually use blue loctite on the two rail screws, but the one screw attaching the rail and arrow retainer spring had backed out a bit.  This caused me multiple problems on hunts.  I added fresh loctite, tightened everthing down and adjusted the tension on the arrow retainer spring.  Re-zeroed the scope and good to go.

Last year I replaced the factory el cheapo red dot with a Nikon Bolt XR.  Nice enough scope, but I want something illuminated for low light.  Guess I'm spoiled by the Night Force NSX on my rifle.

The Jackal seems capable of taking deer, but I want an xbow that handles better from my hang on stand.  You can't find shorter limb widths, better balance points, higher speeds and quieter shooting all in an entry level package.  To clarify my earlier comment about range, I want to have the capability to confidently take a kill shot at up to 40 yards, a distance that I passed up a real nice 6 point with the Jackal. 

I bought a Barnett raptor pro this year.  I'm not sure about the performance on deer , since I only carried it a few times. It is awesome xbow.  Barely NY compliant width (a little over 17" wide).

Very accurate. I can hit a coffee cup size target all day at 60 yd s. My buddies all bought more expensive Barnett, ghost 375s and 420. I like mine a lot better. Same speed as 375 in a lighter smaller package. Trigger pull is great too.. if you buy the package you would probably want to upgrade scope.. I highly recommend going with a heavier bolt also. It quiets down the xbow alot.. they all seem to be really loud with stock bolts.

i was thinking that something was wrong with your bow to miss deer like that. I also upgraded to the bolt xr. Not really a low light scope. I usually will go over my bow every couple days during the season. Due to all the shots it takes to hunt with it. Targeting and unloading. I did do something to make it more stable in the stand. I use a lone wolf climber and it has a hole in the platform to set the compound in so that it stands up straight in front of you.I filled this in with some heavy canvas material and zip tied it to the platform. Now i can put my shooting stick on the platform and rest my bow on it so i can be at the ready. It really helps with movement since these bows  are crazy for movement. i got busted with moving the bow a couple times. the stick really helps.

i have a parker thunderhawk and just love it.  It has a lifetime warranty and is actually made in the US.  Very accurate.  And the scopes that come with it were great.  I was reading they make them just for the parker and there is a 20,30,40,50 line in the reticle.  Took it out and it was on right from the start.  Mine was a $500 model, my buddy has the $1000 (tornado model ?) one and he loves his too. 

But my suggestion with these is to heft them before just ordering one online.  A lot of the ones i liked online i did not like when i had them in my hands.  Didnt like how they fit or the scopes on a lot of them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wolc123 said:

So God knows the fate of every living thing... I believe that. So, the smart guy with the bible should know that God probably has something to do with why Jdubs is asking others about a better crossbow or does it only work the way you interpret God's word? If you believe that God always takes the time to give you a sure kill just because you believe, try not looking through the scope and closing your eyes next time you shoot that crossbow at a deer... I believe God helps those who help themselves and that is what the original poster is trying to do. I'm sure God doesn't appreciate your self righteous attitude. You may need to re -read the word of God and try to really understand it.

• Like 3

I shoot a Hickory Creek vertical mini-crossbow. Has compact vertical limbs, which would work well in stand with no rail. Not as front-heavy as more standard crossbows. $750 and legal in NY. You could probably upgrade the scope if you have more $$ to spend.

https://www.drawloc.com/content/line-vertical-crossbows

IMG_20161114_130212.jpg

And I'm a Buddhist.

Edited by OldNewbie
Forgot to include obligatory religious content.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

I bought the above crossbow at the New Field and Stream store in Latham NY !  My first crossbow and it was on sale for $250.00 or thereabouts , nailed a 6 Pointer this year with it !

I have the same crossbow and paid the same price. Although I think it is fine I sure wouldn't call it the best legal crossbow for NYS hunting. The scope was such a POS I took it off and put a Nikon Bolt XR on it and the bolts that came with it were terrible. I am sure it would kill a deer but if you have $1000 to spend there are much better choices. I would have gotten something better if the season was longer but didn't want to spend $1000 bucks on a crossbow I was going to be able to use a couple of times a year. 

• Like 1

I think the two choices you have mentioned by Tenpoint are very good crossbows. I have shot a Turbo and it was very nice. I have also shot a Horton reverse draw that was awesome, it was well balanced and the scope it came with was fantastic. Both of those are hunting buddies crossbows. I would have to look up the axle to axle on the Horton to see if it was NY Legal. I think it would be close but without measuring I can't be sure. If they redo the legislation and make it legal for all of archery season I will be looking to upgrade my entry level crossbow as well. I will be looking at reverse draw for balance (not front heavy and NY legality). I will also be looking at 10 point. They always feel the best too me when I handle them and the one I have been able to shoot was great. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Nope, you arent a slob hunter or anything...

• Like 2

My centerpoint sniper 370 outshoots my friend's Wicked Ridge... I can shoot golf-ball sized groups at 40 yards... with no wind, field tips, consistent arrows, etc.. Beyond 40 yards is a tougher shot for me resulting in considerably more spread..

If my budget was $1000, which it wasn't, I would bump up to a high end Ten Point, Excalibur, or a Mission by Mathews... for that price range it should be shooting 375+ fps...  Good luck