Neighbor Vol. 2

Five Seasons

So I figured I'll add some more info to my story involving my neighbor. If you didn't read it and care to, it's here: 

I ended up taking the advice of a few of you gave me by letting this season play out and go from there. My new friend hunted the last 2 weekends of gun. I planned hunts around the assumption that he would be there even though he had stopped communication. One hunt was interesting as I hunted deeper in the woods. He bumped deer to me early and then i watched him stalk a bb. He ended up walking around my 30' stand and I just let it be. Never knew I was there. 

So anyhow, the big fear if you recall for my father and I was bow season. This past weekend I hunted Friday and Saturday night with a mz and then again Sunday morning. On my way out i did some pussy footing around and came across his tracks. This really made my heart sink as we had fresh snow and they were either from Saturday night or Sunday morning. This was a clue to me that he was more than just a casual gun hunter. Well on a whim I noticed he veered from his normal "log perch" and I decided to follow his tracks. About 60 yards in I see light blood and my heart sinks more. I had hunted the previous 2 opportunities and heard no shots, so he was out with a bow. I follow his tracks and a faint blood trail (easy to see in fresh snow) till he encounters a "gee i might have to get around this brier patch obstacle" and he stops and turns around. Now I'm mad.

I continue to track the deer another 200 yards and I get to the point where I'm going to have to belly crawl. I call my dad and key him in on the situation and try and decide if I want to get all dirty and sweaty. Mind you it was 13* that morning and I'm not in "hiking gear" lol. I end up realizing a brier took my orange hat off somewhere so I have to go back a little way to where I realized the deer had really gone into some stuff. I decided i had the time and was going all in. Well i belly crawl and rip my way through about 300 yards of the worst shit imaginable (you all know the type). Throughout my 30 minute journey I find a total of 7 bed downs and none that appear super fresh and decreasing amounts of blood.However, the snow allows me to follow the tracks easily. I finally get to a little easier tracking and I'm dripping sweat, scratched up and pretty well annoyed. 

I noticed the tracks look like they're headed off into the neighbors and another patch of thick shit. I'm also about home and about to just chalk it up to a non-fatally hit deer. Then I see a doe out of the corner of my eye standing and looking at me. She's about 40 yards and through some brush that nobody should shoot through, but I know she's wounded. I raise my mz (thank god for scope caps) and touch off a shot. I spined her and she dropped. I give it a few minutes and head over. I didn't take a pic of the injury out of just shear exhaustion and annoyance and whatever, but he sliced her belly open. Not bad, but enough that intestines were hanging and she would have eventually died a pretty horrible death. Please at this point understand I'm not throwing stones in a glass house. But the lack of followup really bothers me.

Dad pulls the cam and we verify this neighbor kid hunted the previous night. Tracked her 100 yards and went home. Never came back the next day. Poor girl was like that all night. I decide i need to say something to him as this has my hair up pretty good. Below is a bed down, the deer (70lb dressed last years fawn). and the text exchange. We're pretty sure he whipped an arrow at her.

Really dark brown? Did I tag it? What the heck am I dealing with here?

001.thumb.JPG.70352163d238a0c5b1376a0f7942b1ea.JPG003.thumb.JPG.a81bd9f2f2ed0b391e3a5f87af51718d.JPG003.thumb.JPG.9f9e9880fb324f81badb23dd1fb6a038.JPG005.thumb.JPG.3b7e4edb8ea8da625a84553473b52af4.JPG

Edited by Belo

So I figured I'll add some more info to my story involving my neighbor. If you didn't read it and care to, it's here: 
[/url]  
I ended up taking the advice of a few of you gave me by letting this season play out and go from there. My new friend hunted the last 2 weekends of gun. I planned hunts around the assumption that he would be there even though he had stopped communication. One hunt was interesting as I hunted deeper in the woods. He bumped deer to me early and then i watched him stalk a bb. He ended up walking around my 30' stand and I just let it be. Never knew I was there. 
So anyhow, the big fear if you recall for my father and I was bow season. This past weekend I hunted Friday and Saturday night with a mz and then again Sunday morning. On my way out i did some pussy footing around and came across his tracks. This really made my heart sink as we had fresh snow and they were either from Saturday night or Sunday morning. This was a clue to me that he was more than just a casual gun hunter. Well on whim I noticed he veered from his normal "log perch" and followed I decided to follow his tracks. About 60 yards in I see light blood and my heart sinks more. I had hunted the previous 2 opportunities and heard no shots, so he was out with a bow. I follow his tracks and a faint blood trail (easy to see in fresh snow) till he encounters a "gee i might have to get around this brier patch obstacle" and he stops and turns around. Now I'm mad.
I continue to track the deer another 200 yards and I get to the point where I'm going to have to belly crawl. I call my dad and key him in on the situation and try and decide if I want to get all dirty and sweaty. Mind you it was 13* that morning and I'm not in "hiking gear" lol. I end up realizing a brier took my orange hat off somewhere so I have to go back a little way to where I realized the deer had really gone into some stuff. I decided i had the time and was going all in. Well i belly crawl and rip my way through about 300 yards of the worst shit imaginable (you all know the type). Throughout my 30 minute journey I find a total of 7 bed downs and none that appear super fresh and decreasing amounts of blood.However, the snow allows me to follow the tracks easily. I finally get to a little easier tracking and I'm dripping sweat, scratched up and pretty well annoyed. 
I noticed the tracks look like they're headed off into the neighbors and another patch of thick shit. I'm also about home and about to just chalk it up to a non-fatally hit deer. Then I see a doe out of the corner of my eye standing and looking at me. She's about 40 yards and through some brush that nobody should shoot through, but I know she's wounded. I raise my mz (thank god for scope caps) and touch off a shot. I spined her and she dropped. I give it a few minutes and head over. I didn't take a pic of the injury out of just shear exhaustion and annoyance and whatever, but he sliced her belly open. Not bad but enough that intestines were hanging and she would have eventually died a pretty horrible death. Please at this point understand I'm not throwing stones in a glass house. But the lack of followup really bothers me.
Dad pulls the cam and we verify this neighbor kid hunted the previous night. Tracked her 100 yards and went home. Never came back the next day. Poor girl was like that all night. I decide i need to say something to him as this has my hair up pretty good. Below is the deer (70lb dressed last years fawn). and the text exchange. We're pretty sure he whipped an arrow at her.
Really dark brown? Did I tag it? What the heck am I dealing with here?
001.thumb.JPG.70352163d238a0c5b1376a0f7942b1ea.JPG
003.thumb.JPG.a81bd9f2f2ed0b391e3a5f87af51718d.JPG003.thumb.JPG.9f9e9880fb324f81badb23dd1fb6a038.JPG005.thumb.JPG.3b7e4edb8ea8da625a84553473b52af4.JPG
This is just a shitty situation. I don't see how it gets better though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Belo said:

I ended up taking the advice of a few of you gave me by letting this season play out and go from there. My new friend hunted the last 2 weekends of gun. I planned hunts ar

So anyhow, the big fear if you recall for my father and I was bow season. This past weekend I hunted Friday and Saturday night with a mz and then again Sunday morning. On my way out i did some pussy footing around and came across his tracks. This really made my heart sink as we had fresh snow and they were either from Saturday night or Sunday morning. This was a clue to me that he was more than just a casual gun hunter. Well on a whim I noticed he veered from his normal "log perch" and I decided to follow his tracks. About 60 yards in I see light blood and my heart sinks more. I had hunted the previous 2 opportunities and heard no shots, so he was out with a bow. I follow his tracks and a faint blood trail (easy to see in fresh snow) till he encounters a "gee i might have to get around this brier patch obstacle" and he stops and turns around. Now I'm mad.

I thought this was going to end with you finding his dead body

18 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Darn , I woulda bet wolc 123  .

If it was me, that deer would have been recovered in under an hour just like all the rest that I have shot at over the last 13 years have been.  Also, I would never use a bow when ML or crossbow is legal.  I ain't in this sport for the challenge, it is all about the meat for me.   There is no good reason for me not to use the most effective, legal weapon at my disposal to get the job done.  That means a scoped, inline ML during the late season.    

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Darn , I woulda bet wolc 123  .

I joined this site this year. I am not a member of any other social media. I like alot of your opinions. I do not agree with some of the hunting tactics and things wolc123 says but what i have seen i would bet dollars for doughnuts he would have recovered that deer. 

• Like 5

one thing I forgot that i found a little odd was that he was really good at wearing orange vest or jacket and hat all gun. Then in late season he was ground hunting in all camo. Now I'm not worried about me, but this guy doesn't know any of the neighbors either. Like dude, just because YOU are bowhunting doesn't mean everyone else is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

one thing I forgot that i found a little odd was that he was really good at wearing orange vest or jacket and hat all gun. Then in late season he was ground hunting in all camo. Now I'm not worried about me, but this guy doesn't know any of the neighbors either. Like dude, just because YOU are bowhunting doesn't mean everyone else is.

I see alot of people change to camo when muzzleloader starts. Pretty normal in my area. I personally want others to see me so i stick with woolrich and orange vest. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I've seen plenty of people walking on to hunt public land during GUN season in full camo without a stitch of orange on them.  They trust their fellow man a hell of a lot more than I do, that's for darned sure!

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I've seen plenty of people walking on to hunt public land during GUN season in full camo without a stitch of orange on them.  They trust their fellow man a hell of a lot more than I do, that's for darned sure!

That is just crazy ! I'd rather crawl under an occupied bathroom stall then take my chances on state land without orange on.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

That is just crazy ! I'd rather crawl under an occupied bathroom stall then take my chances on state land without orange on.

Lol, there's a chance you may be shot while not wearing blaze orange.

But if I'm in that stall, there's 100% certainty you get my shoe in your face!:taunt:

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Lol, there's a chance you may be shot while not wearing blaze orange.

But if I'm in that stall, there's 100% certainty you get my shoe in your face!:taunt:

Maybe we'd get your shoe in our face and see parts of you that we'd rather not, but it still wouldn't be as bad as taking a bullet!!

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 8:33 PM, Just Lucky said:

I joined this site this year. I am not a member of any other social media. I like alot of your opinions. I do not agree with some of the hunting tactics and things wolc123 says but what i have seen i would bet dollars for doughnuts he would have recovered that deer. 

I was just breaking stones , I’m a wise a$$. But I agree , he does very well .

And he stands up for himself , which I admire .

After reading this thread this problem is not going to get better anytime soon, it seems from his text and tracking you are dealing with a very inexperienced hunter who has bever been taught some very basic hunting essentials..

I would have a conversation in the near future about his past hunting experience and how many deer he has harvested and lay down some pretty cut and dry rules about being on your land in the next coming season..

Unfortunately you may have to train him before things get better.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:09 PM, wolc123 said:

If it was me, that deer would have been recovered in under an hour just like all the rest that I have shot at over the last 13 years have been.  Also, I would never use a bow when ML or crossbow is legal.  I ain't in this sport for the challenge, it is all about the meat for me.   There is no good reason for me not to use the most effective, legal weapon at my disposal to get the job done.  That means a scoped, inline ML during the late season.    

You go after a gutshot deer in that timeframe and there's a good chance you'll never recover it it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, outdoorstom said:

You go after a gutshot deer in that timeframe and there's a good chance you'll never recover it it.

Which is why I have never and would never shoot one there.   Bad hits happen though, especially to those who don't know who runs the show (hint - what day is today ?).

Seems like some off season conversations and I hate to say it..buddy up to the guy and show him some things.he definitely needs it.. it's not your land that's the best your going to be able to do..family almost always wins out..Seems his skill level is fawn master... you are gonna have a long time with him at that level messing you up or you can be proactive and try and help the guy. And maybe he will learn to respect where your hunting as well and strive to become a better hunter.. 

I had to do this with a friends brother.long story but had a out with his dad and we took him in at camp.5 years later  but he's taking adult deer now and discusses  where he wants to hunt or where we are hunting the night before.. slow learner but is great help clearing trails and trimming shooting lanes..

• Like 1