Old Guys: Remember When..............

Lawdwaz

A Cabela's catalog was something to get excited about? 

Boy it's been a long time since THAT has happened for me.  I just "fanned" through the latest catalog to make it to our coffee table, the "Spring" edition.  WTF is a "Spring" edition?  Just a bunch of crap from A-Z that doesn't light my wick......

I guess its just a combination of me getting older and the electronic age.  I'm OK with it, it's just a memory anymore (and a good one at that) how years ago you'd dream of going to a Cabela's store.  Now all I have to do is jump in my VW Bug (I'm freakin' kidding!) and drive a half dozen miles and walk into a Cabela's store.  Not Kearny, not Sidney; but CheektaVegas has a CABELA'S!!

Heck, I can have dinner at Mighty Taco then walk next door and shop for more "stuff" I don't need. 

OK, rant over. :)

• Like 5

Help me out here....

This would be mid 70's like 76', 77' or so.....Paper b&w catalog, like newspaper type paper; tackle supplier; would have advertised in back of outdoor life probably. Guessing I sent in for a catalog request.

All fishing tackle

I'd paw through that thing til it was in tatters dreaming of buying stuff out of it.

Wasn't the original Gander, Cabelas,Basspro.

Started with a "J" maybe?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Netcraft maybe?

Could be?

But I remember getting their color catalogs later and that doesn't seem like the same.

I was about 10-12 years old when I first remember having my mom send in an order with Christmas money around that time.

Cripes some kid that age now has his own Pay Pal account and more $$$ on credit than me!

• Like 1

Man, I loved catalogs as a kid.  Sears. Montgomery Wards. Western Auto. They all had outdoors stuff. Used to flip through those pages, and dream of the day, some of that stuff would be mine. I still enjoy looking through the outdoor catalogs. And now, I even buy stuff now and then!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Could be?

But I remember getting their color catalogs later and that doesn't seem like the same.

I was about 10-12 years old when I first remember having my mom send in an order with Christmas money around that time.

Cripes some kid that age now has his own Pay Pal account and more $$$ on credit than me!

The first ones they had were black and white ..... And they also were Jann's Netcraft.   

30 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Help me out here....

This would be mid 70's like 76', 77' or so.....Paper b&w catalog, like newspaper type paper; tackle supplier; would have advertised in back of outdoor life probably. Guessing I sent in for a catalog request.

All fishing tackle

I'd paw through that thing til it was in tatters dreaming of buying stuff out of it.

Wasn't the original Gander, Cabelas,Basspro.

Started with a "J" maybe?

I don't know Dan, Herter's is really the only thing I remember prior to Cabela's.  That memory goes back to the late 60's......A friend of my mom & dad's owned a screw company here in Buffalo, Curtis Screw Co. and they had a catalog at his house and I remember thumbing through it as a very young boy/child/buck hunter (!!) at a dinner at their house.  

Herter's it had to be.............................. :;

Could be;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1973-NETCRAFT-Fishing-Tackle-CATALOG-Toledo-Ohio-RODS-Reels-LURES/132470724614?hash=item1ed7ded806:g:NpgAAOSwdrhZnYsW

I remember getting a Zebco rod at Twin Fair on Niagara Falls Blvd when they moved around the corner to where Tops is now on Maple. Grandmother worked in Sporting Goods and Toys there.....no one else did any hunt/fishing in my family but Uncles did and she knew what to get....maybe I was 7 or 8?

Still have the Zebco Tackle box! Maybe 45 years now.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mowin said:

The catalog I always waited for was Bowhunters Warehouse. 

Actually purchased my first new bow from them. A Browning deluxe nomad. 

They're ya go....Bowhunter's DISCOUNT Warehouse IIRC..........from somewhere in PA, right?

I bought from them too but I think that was the late 80's?

• Like 1

My beam balance powder scale, plus a few of my other basic reloading tools were purchased from a Herter's catalog...

Some of the other stuff ( like my first press, an RCBS JR, came from Gander..back in the late 60s and early 70s Gander had a better selection and better prices than Cabela's.. I also bought a number of scopes from Gander back in the day, all El Paso steel tube Weavers....Good, rugged, functional scopes...IIRC, my  K i.5 and K2.5 were less than $50, and my K10 ( for my Rem 722 .222Rem) cost me $60....

• Like 1

Back when I was a youngster and ran a pretty substantial trapline, it was the latest issue of Fur-Fish-Game that I used to eagerly await every month. I remember all those advertisements for the Harding trapping books that they advertised. At one time I think I had them all. And then of course the ads in the back were always trying to hook people into raising chinchillas for huge profits .... lol. How to raise quail, pheasants, rabbits, etc. And then there was the course that taught you taxidermy .... another get-rich-quick deal. And of course I was always looking for bargains on traps, scents, urine, lure, and all kinds of other trapping accessories. They used to have a lot more trapping articles than they do now. But anyway, that was my wish book back in the early years. I still pick up a copy off the magazine rack when I run into it.

• Like 1