Dicks sporting goods/field and stream

Robhuntandfish

I ain't stepped into one of the "Dicks" stores since 2012 and will continue to spend my money elsewhere.  They showed their true colors when "Dicks" liberal Democrat family member "Kim Myers" ran for congress for my district last election, thank goodness she was defeated by pro gun conservative Claudia Tenney.

I remember that outfit back back in the 70s when they were mainly a well known  big time hunting-fishing-camping camping store down in the Binghamton area .They sold 5 packs of Remington and Winchester rifled slugs for .59 cents a box before the southern zone's opening day Deer season.

Today it would not surprise me in the least  down the road they dropped firearms sales altogether as they have drastically moved in a different direction when it comes to the merchandise they sell. As far as I am concerned it is a good place to stay away from!!

Al

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'll make the trip or go without. I've killed lots of game over the years without much of what I carry now. I think I'll make due. I am also not supporting the band wagon hoppers removing NRA support like Delta. I won't be flying them for business anymore. 

Did you see Cuomo invited Delta to move their headquarters to NY

• Like 1

Honestly I can care less if they carry ARs or not.  That's a stocking , sale issue. Restrictions of not selling firearms to someone under 21 without supporting legislation doesn't sit well with me.  

A 19 year old can defend the Constitution but not live under the freedoms it provides sticks in my craw.  

This last kids age is irrelevant.  Do you think he was gonna be a responsible adult in 18 months......

How can they refuse to sell to a 20 year old, but a cake company be brought to charge for refusing to make a lbgt wedding cake.   

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

so i went online and cant find where i can cancel my scorecard or close my account. any help?

You don't need to cancel your Scorecard . Just don't shop there . The scorecard is just bonus points for spending money at DICKs and F&S . It's not like a Credit Card . 

14 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

You don't need to cancel your Scorecard . Just don't shop there . The scorecard is just bonus points for spending money at DICKs and F&S . It's not like a Credit Card . 

I get that. but i work in corporate america. it's all about metrics. Just like all of us who canceled red zone, sunday ticket etc. Just "not shopping" will not have the immediate effect. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Belo said:

do you really think that a lot of new yorkers have one of these?

Black-Rain-Ordinance-NY-Compliant.jpg

a lot.... anyone i know of who had one before didn't register and instead made it compliant in a way that's easily reversible back. since obama i know of many that have bought them too.  it's just a dependable and modular system.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Full disclosure, I have a schitzu.

This move by Dicks is good for all the small shops

out this way we have one guy that owns a ton of them. building more stores in proximity to local mom and pop shops. i don't see them surviving. especially with this now he'll get even more business. field & stream is the only real box store around. we don't have anything else. not like central or western NY. blows my mind since it's the capital region, as well as north and south.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

So what if a liquor store sets a policy that they will not sell liquor to anyone under the age of 25?   

People would be jumping all over them that they cannot make these restrictions so how can they do this with guns....when there is a law already in place for 18....

actually the mpaa does this. there is no legal binding law or requirement that restricts views of rated r or nc-17 movies based on age. the mpaa sets a "suggestion".  But all the major chains enforce it. And it's almost impossible to get an unrated movie shown in theatres, so they have you buy the nuts.

That's why this is scary. We could get to the point where the government doesn't even need gun laws. if shippers (shippers are huge) and retailers just stop offering, we are in a corner big time.

Stock is up close to 1% today.......couple gun makers Ruger/S&W are down.

There was noise from them about dumping gun sales several years ago, not just AR in Dicks stores.

Dick's store sold a shotgun to the Florida shooter last fall, and CEO is looking at damage control for future events.

28 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Looks like Trump agrees with increasing the age to 21 also, so maybe it will be pointless to boycott Dick's.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/28/trump-to-announce-sweeping-gun-control-safe-schools-package.html

i'm all ready to be upset and pissed by this. But then I also believe improved background checks and tighter restrictions that do not ban guns is the right move. I've said this for a while on here and I know not many agree with me.

Also, think about this for a second. We could have hildabeast in office and we might lose the senate and/or the house this November. What Trump is doing could be the "give a little so they shut up" approach and far better than what happened to us New Yorkers after sandy hook. If the dems were in control this could be a lot worse. idk...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

i'm all ready to be upset and pissed by this. But then I also believe improved background checks and tighter restrictions that do not ban guns is the right move. I've said this for a while on here and I know not many agree with me.

Also, think about this for a second. We could have hildabeast in office and we might lose the senate and/or the house this November. What Trump is doing could be the "give a little so they shut up" approach and far better than what happened to us New Yorkers after sandy hook. If the dems were in control this could be a lot worse. idk...

I had predicted several times over the years on this forum (wish I had the time to find the posts), that the next significant federal gun legislation would happen with a republican president in office.  So here we just might be getting some.  

A lot of people think that by giving them something that they will be appeased, the only problem is they will only be appeased by a gun ban, sure, they'll take anything they can get in the moment, but don't expect the assault to stop or even slow down afterwards...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Such silliness. It's all symbolism and feel-goodism. They will fill the empty slots with typical semi-auto hunting rifles that are functionally the same things. It is all about appearance and cosmetics and some non-lethal interchangeability features for harmless customization. They want people to think that they are good caring libs, when in fact their moves will have zero effect on those that would commit mass murders. What phoniness! I'm not very big in boycotts, but there is no way that I will spend another cent in a store that makes such a big deal out of trying to make fools of their customers through phony deception.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chrisw said:

A lot of people think that by giving them something that they will be appeased, the only problem is they will only be appeased by a gun ban, sure, they'll take anything they can get in the moment, but don't expect the assault to stop or even slow down afterwards...

i think there are certainly people on both sides who feel they can't give an inch and who feel total confiscation is the end game. I have faith that the vast majority of people know the answer is some tighter laws while still upholding the 2nd amendment. 

6 hours ago, Belo said:

I order online too. What I'm saying is what if your raingear tears and you need a jacket quick or you run out of doe pee or used the last bit of scent spray etc.

as a webster resident: canandaigua, brockport, buffalo and syracuse aren't quick stops for last minute items.

I have learned to be organized to the point where I actually make lists of needed items and periodically take the hour drive down the road to the Auburn Bass-pro and load up my shop with reloading components and equipment and what ever hunting accessories that I need. It actually is a pleasant drive and I take the longer scenic route down 5&20 through all those neat old towns and get to see some different country a few times a year. Its not a big imposition. It's almost as far to go to Henrietta as it is to go to Auburn, and I avoid dealing with  the wolves dressed in sheep's clothing. It's bad enough that we have the libs to deal with but now we have those that are supposed to be 2nd Amendment advocates doing the heavy lifting for the gun-grabbers.

As far as the Victor version of Bass-pro, I have basically given up on that deal. I think something must have killed that deal. Nobody's even talking about it anymore.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that I don’t have enough info to assess whether Dicks did what was right FOR THEIR BUSINESS.  I know they don’t want to lose business from anyone that could view their actions as irresponsible or leading to more potential mass shootings.  What percentage of profits come from gun sales?  What would happen if a customer bought a gun there and went on a killing spree?  Those answers play a much greater role in this business decision for Dicks than whether they support AR rights.  Might not like it, but I get it.  I bet they sell way more sneakers to soccer moms. 

Edited by moog5050

i think there are certainly people on both sides who feel they can't give an inch and who feel total confiscation is the end game. I have faith that the vast majority of people know the answer is some tighter laws while still upholding the 2nd amendment. 
I don't have a whole lot of faith in a country where you need to lock up Tide pods because people are eating them for fun. And an anti's version of upholding the 2A is "allowing" you to have a musket...
Here's an analogy, you're eating dinner at your table, your dog comes over because he wants what you have, you give him a little bit, does he leave? No, you give him some more, does he leave? No. He isn't going to leave when he thinks he's had a reasonable amount, he wants all of it. The point is you don't start feeding the dog at all unless you're willing to give it all to him.

I'm not saying everything that's been proposed is necessarily a bad idea, I like the "red flag law", I don't mind giving up bump stocks, but in the end of the day don't think for a second that antis are reasonable on this topic. I guess when people start blaming inanimate objects as murders as a political bargaining tool to achieve an underlying agenda I rule them out as being reasonable. You have more faith in the general population than I do I guess.

• Like 1