10.5 year old buck (Westchester)

BizCT

48 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Thanks for post Biz. Although I take teeth aging with a grain of salt, I don't trust any document that doesn't even list a company name. Not saying he's not 10 1/2 years old; just not trusting that paperwork.

The name of the company is right in the title of that thread who did the aging;

http://www.deerage.com/

• Like 1

That's pretty cool! I wonder what he looked like at four and five years old, during his biological prime? Was his antlers even larger? More points? Not that he wasn't a beautiful buck when killed. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

i had an old buck on one of the properties I hunt.  I had seen him across a field on another piece of property a couple of times.  Once right in front of another persons treestand. But I watched him in the binoculars and could just tell he was an old timer.  He was only a 7 point but had some nice mass.  Tried calling him in but yeah hes a smart one and didnt fall for that.  Two years later i found him in gun season dead in a little gully.  No bullet holes or anything was thinking he prob just didnt make it thru another year.  Always had wondered how old he was. But wouldve been something to get this smart old guy but never got close enough for the bow.  I do have the horns at home. 

49 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Yes, but was he truly mature? What did his house look like? Retirement plan in place? Did he have a backup generator?

No need for a backup generator .... the state/government is responsible to make sure my house has power !   :taunt:

• Like 1

Thanks for post Biz. Although I take teeth aging with a grain of salt, I don't trust any document that doesn't even list a company name. Not saying he's not 10 1/2 years old; just not trusting that paperwork.

Deerage.com it’s in the title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we use Matson lab that all the state wildlife and many biologists use. i haven't heard anything bad about deerage.com lab though. bucks from what i know typically peak at 6.5 or so then then start to go down hill in antlers and body mass with no particular pattern that i've heard of. my understanding is if they die of old age they don't look much different than a yearling with gnarly but smaller framed antlers. i'd think access to hunt him where he spent enough time must have been a factor but i can believe the age. real hard to tell most of the time from photos of a dead deer laying on the ground.

Deer in Westchester easily can live that long in places I have seen them  in southern Westchester on  golf courses 

Backyards lots in  places that you would not think .

They hide out most the time in day light and come out late at night usually like ghosts . And most  land owners around there  will not let you hunt them . Once in a while a doe will hang out on a yard in daytime but not usually.

20180114_102928.jpg

• Like 1

Deer in Westchester easily can live that long in places I have seen them  in southern Westchester on  golf courses 
Backyards lots in  places that you would not think .
They hide out most the time in day light and come out late at night usually like ghosts . And most  land owners around there  will not let you hunt them . Once in a while a doe will hang out on a yard in daytime but not usually.

20180114_102928.thumb.jpg.29666cbb1ff9741839ee3e72416a10f2.jpg

Agree. big bucks can stay safe in non hunting areas, but then slip up and get killed. After all, the archery NYS record typical buck is from Westchester. If it ever gets broken, it will be from Westchester/Long Island

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Agree. big bucks can stay safe in non hunting areas, but then slip up and get killed. After all, the archery NYS record typical buck is from Westchester. If it ever gets broken, it will be from Westchester/Long Island

I  know people  that have seen them  cross the long island sound  to rye before  .

Those are some sneaky deer .

• Like 1

This buck was eight and a half by tooth ring Dec aged him at 3.5. I knew he was at least 7.5 from sheds I had found.20151022_105540.thumb.jpg.a37b4ee478f7652370b854ba58fa2ed8.jpgtooth wear analysis  and body characteristics only.get you to 3.5 or 4.5 age plus.. there are to many variables past that. Only true way Is tooth ring (cementum) aging  and yes his tines were twice as tall the year before and he was always just an 8pt.

• Like 5