If you wanted to move out of NY for better hunting what state would you move to ?

Hunter007

first i would move to az and become a resident. after being a resident and able to buy a lifetime license, i would move to wy or mt. by having a lifetime license in az i would not be subject to nonresident quotas.  moving to wy or mt,  i would have a pocketful of tags with long seasons.    

• Like 1

I would move into an RV .  So then it's tarpon and mahi in Jan and Feb in Florida, texas in March for offshore rig fishing and pig hunting, April in Midwest for turkeys, May and June in NY for turkeys and walleyes and perch back home, July and August in Alaska for rainbows and grayling, sept in the Dakotas for pheasants and early mule deer, October and November back home for whitetails, Dec on a flyway in Louisiana for ducks......  ( And yes I know I could have made better picks for whitetails but want to come back to NY somewhere in there. Lol). 

But love the opportunities I have here in NY.  I have some good hunting and fishing right here.  

• Like 1

first i would move to az and become a resident. after being a resident and able to buy a lifetime license, i would move to wy or mt. by having a lifetime license in az i would not be subject to nonresident quotas.  moving to wy or mt,  i would have a pocketful of tags with long seasons.    

Now that’s a well thought out plan- sounds like you had that brewing for a while. When’s it coming to fruition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps Tennessee. The deer hunting is really good, and my Nephew there has great spots for me now .

Hunting is pretty far down on my list as far as moving goes , but Tenn has decent weather , no state income tax, very low property tax , and they are one of a handful that also won’t tax my pension.

Between the state tax and property tax,  I’d be looking at 10k in savings .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Now that’s a well thought out plan- sounds like you had that brewing for a while. When’s it coming to fruition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the older i get the more it becomes a pipe dream.  the original plan had me going to ut after az.   i would use my points for elk, deer, and antelope points in 3 consecutive years as a resident.   

I tried to find any employment for about 2 years in Namibia and move there around 15 years ago, but white foreign nationals is a tough call. I know 2 Americans that made it happen as ex military as advisers. I tried to find an NGO,  but no luck.

I really like the area in the mountains above White Sands military base in New Mexico; but I wouldn't draw a tag every year and would play the neighboring states so I'd hope to find something. Folks I know there layout a couple grand just in tag and application fees every year, you get most back if not drawn.

With the draw tag system, just being a resident is not enough for prime areas and the point creep happening in draw odds makes it less and less likely to consistently draw something. A friend who started me hunting went to Arizona and took several years to draw his first tag, he'd come back here to deer hunt and stay with friends. 20 years later and he's never drawn a premium Muledeer tag yet.

i wouldnt move to nm unless i had the money to buy landowner tags every year.  love to hunt there. i have enough points that if i was a resident i could draw every tag i wanted for deer, elk, and antelope.  ur friend in az can draw the best deer tag in the state with 20 points. he must be doing just points.  u still applying for tags in nm?  im 0-30 in the draws so far this year, 20 more draws to go and its not looking good.  

If I wanted to hunt there(NM) now as a non resident I would just buy a land owner tag and be done. I bought Muledeer and trespass rights that way on 23,000 acres and was lots of fun. Frankly I like the area and hunting would just be a side bonus if I felt like getting involved.

For a time I was putting in for points/applications for several states but not doing anything now. Back when applying everyone I knew was just looking to hide from their wives for a week, so I lost interest.

Most of my interest is not west but east, across the Atlantic. I know a few outfitters well out west and have had some interesting offers, but nothing has tickled my fancy, maybe someday.

I could care less if I even SAW another  deer if I could have long seasons with consistent good shooting for waterfowl and upland birds....Ducks taste better than deer, are easier to carry home and the decoys are lighter...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

I have in-laws here now from Fort Myers FL. Murphy told me that the places he used to have access to locally are no more. Everything seems to be a Draw hunt down there. He has friends that pay up to 6000 Bucks to get on a good private lease with plenty of land. If you are a resident hunter in Florida, I don't know what public land options you would have if you have not the money to get on a private lease.

I  lived down  south  florida when i was a kid for a few years . Everyone that i know there that hunted use to like to go  to the most northern parts  of the state to hunt . Less bugs  Cooler temptures and better Terrain . Makes for a more enjoyable hunting experience was a big part of why they go north i guess .

And you get bigger bodied deer 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

I have in-laws here now from Fort Myers FL. Murphy told me that the places he used to have access to locally are no more. Everything seems to be a Draw hunt down there. He has friends that pay up to 6000 Bucks to get on a good private lease with plenty of land. If you are a resident hunter in Florida, I don't know what public land options you would have if you have not the money to get on a private lease.

There are a lot of public land opportunities, but they can be very tough hunting because of all the swamps. There used to be a member named deer passion that was from Florida. Hunting is way better up here from what I remember him saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

There are a lot of public land opportunities, but they can be very tough hunting because of all the swamps. There used to be a member named deer passion that was from Florida. Hunting is way better up here from what I remember him saying. 

The deer hunters I’ve talked to in Fla. say they go to Georgia deer hunt .

• Like 2