Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

23 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Head out tomorrow morning and do some snooping around for next spring??

I checked the Maryland DNR for public hunting areas and the best looking areas are at least an hour away. I might be better off going to Virginia or w. Virginia? I need to get some real maps, it's a pia looking on my phone!

We made it 3.5 hours including hike in and slow half ass mushroom hunt back. Had a good time with the boy, but certainly not the activity I had a few weeks ago. Quiet enough that I’ll probably sleep in tomorrow and try one more time on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!

Nothing this morning but made an mistake - no bug spray (need to buy a thermacell), had to go back to the truck after 30 minutes of getting alive, figured no way a Turkey would come in with me swatting bugs. Soaked myself in big spray which I am guessing didnt help the hunt but was dead quiet. Hopefully back at it tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Uneventful morning for me. Bumped what I think was my gobbler off his roost when I was walking in. Took off when I was just about underneath it. No gobbles and no sightings after that except deer and a fox. Went back to the house around 9:00. His roost location caught me by surprise as it was right on my entrance path. That was a first.

Settling in for the day with a bunch of food for the grill and watching the Indy 500. Don’t know if I’ll go tomorrow or not. Summer’s here!

20 minutes ago, Imjus4u2nv said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Nothing this morning but made an mistake - no bug spray (need to buy a thermacell), had to go back to the truck after 30 minutes of getting alive, figured no way a Turkey would come in with me swatting bugs. Soaked myself in big spray which I am guessing didnt help the hunt but was dead quiet. Hopefully back at it tomorrow morning.

Keep at em.  Few days to get one under your gun.  Turkeys can’t smell so your good on bug spray.  

So odd nobody heard anything today as like Friday 

7 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

No one else was out hunting where, I was. I think most have giving up.

I'm sure some have thrown in the towel but many others have things at home to do and family time to tend to. 

For those that have to travel for a gobbler hunt the early rising time and drive takes a toll on the REMAINDER of the day after getting home from the hunt. 

Not to mention the black flies, mosquitoes, ticks and what ever biting SOB you can find...... :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'm sure some have thrown in the towel but many others have things at home to do and family time to tend to. 

For those that have to travel for a gobbler hunt the early rising time and drive takes a toll on the REMAINDER of the day after getting home from the hunt. 

Not to mention the black flies, mosquitoes, ticks and what ever biting SOB you can find...... :)

I know all about it taking a toll. Waking up at 2:30 and driving 2 hours one way can take a toll. If I want to have any chance of doing anything later in the day I have to take a 2 hour nap after I get home. 

• Like 2

Out for day 3 of my 3 day weekend from work. Nothing sounding off from the roost area yet. I think I'm in for another long quiet day of turkey hunting. I'm starting to wish I had shot one of those two Jakes that I called in the first week.

Took my grandnephew and his buddy out this morning. 

Had a exciting morning. Had a tom roosted about 80 yrds out. And two different groups of jake's a couple hundred yards out. 

The tom gobbled every 30 seconds or so.  They Jake's not so often until they hit the ground, then the two groups tried to out do each other.  They met about 60yrs out and a fight erupted.  The look on the boys faces was priceless, lol.   

The tom didn't fly down until almost 6, and never gobbled again.  Was hoping he was working in silent, but never seen him. 

Around 7, two of the jakes stuck in and busted us. No shot opportunity though. 

Called them back with aggressive purring and gobbling, but Kayden wasn't comfortable taking the shot as they were walking a little fast and he couldn't get a solid bead on em. 

They couldn't stop talking about the hunt on the ride home.  What a way too end the season.  

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I found where the turkeys are hiding out in North Buffalo--the cemetary at Elmwood and the 290:

y4mKrTqjYc2MdwT0_hVkumj1RuYkQfaYvRWbgaaf

I have seen them fly out of the cemetery there across Brighton Rd. and land of peoples front lawns, and they were big turkeys for sure.

• Like 1

Bagged it. That bird gobbled 12-15 x on the ground. Think maybe we should have moved on him but hindsight is easy. Some day I’ll get one under daughters gun. This has gone on too long. She was able to get out with me 5x and I’ve been out 10. I can hunt Tuesday Thursday Friday so one day I’m getting into his bedroom.

• Like 6

You should try the Buckmaster approach and crawl out there with him!

20 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

First gobble 5:34. Off 150 yards or so. Going to have to stand to shoot if it happens. Sitting field edge and it’s tall. Let’s play

• Like 1