Tree stand stolen

First-light

So I'm up at the cabin and started to shed hunt. Went to the corner of the property to start. We have an old ladder stand there about 30 yrds off of property line. Real friendly with the neighbors that border me there. My neighbor said he saw the stand about a month ago. Now it is missing. First one in twelve years! My neighbor does lease his property to 4 hunters from out of town. They are up for a week and then don't return so I don't think it was them. My guess is snowmobilers. A club has groomed trails that go past my place. Last year they took metal posted signs from me and my neighbor. I was told a few times they cut up from trail and ride my power lines. The power lines go right past the tree stand. There was enough snow to ride in the last month or so. You guys think I should make a call to the club? I'm leaning towards doing it. 

Def make a call. Say that you know they ride through your property sometimes, and ask them if they have seen people walking around the property in the last month. So make sure that they know, that you know, that they use your property, but don't flat out accuse them. Chances are most of the guys are good guys and their is 1 or 2 pieces of s**t in the club. 

• Like 2

Just now, sodfather said:

I would make the call to the club d tell them they no longer have permission to have a trail go through your property unless they buy a new stand . Otherwise I’d snow fence it next year 

That will get the club's attention in a hurry. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DTG3k said:

Def make a call. Say that you know they ride through your property sometimes, and ask them if they have seen people walking around the property in the last month. So make sure that they know, that you know, that they use your property, but don't flat out accuse them. Chances are most of the guys are good guys and their is 1 or 2 pieces of s**t in the club. 

The club just marks the trail ,it doesn't have to be a club member to ride the trails , my bet is someone local who probably did see it while riding . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, DTG3k said:

^^^ This ^^^ and put up some hidden trail cams.. 

Is the club trail on your property or next to it ? Where I hunt and own land ,they ask permission and mark the trails with signs,that riders stay on , if it’s on your land the threat of not giving permission would carry more weight then next to it .

Btw every year we get snow in gun season, I get snowmobiles trespassing . This new gate keeps them out now .

98DBA437-D3CB-416D-88AC-AB2CF7AD2A53.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, First-light said:

So I'm up at the cabin and started to shed hunt. Went to the corner of the property to start. We have an old ladder stand there about 30 yrds off of property line. Real friendly with the neighbors that border me there. My neighbor said he saw the stand about a month ago. Now it is missing. First one in twelve years! My neighbor does lease his property to 4 hunters from out of town. They are up for a week and then don't return so I don't think it was them. My guess is snowmobilers. A club has groomed trails that go past my place. Last year they took metal posted signs from me and my neighbor. I was told a few times they cut up from trail and ride my power lines. The power lines go right past the tree stand. There was enough snow to ride in the last month or so. You guys think I should make a call to the club? I'm leaning towards doing it. 

Definitely put a call in.

Ask them if they have any members that go by the handle "doewhacker" or "steve863".

Even if they don't.., I'm betting those two had something to do with it,lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a trail through the property I lease and the club has been great. I put a call in last summer about a the gate being left open and neighbor kids buzzing across the bridge on dirt bikes and atv's. I also mentioned that the bridge was in need of repair and it would be in their best interest to fix the bridge and lock the gate before a major lawsuit hits there club from possible tresspasser.
They responded asap.....put a new deck on the bridge.....and locked the gate.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wooly said:

Ask them if they have any members that go by the handle "doewhacker" or "steve863".

The only thing we ever took off Burt's property are deer.  We leave everything else alone.   Who wants to take his tree stands when we can hunt from them when he isn't there? LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

i agree with others. i'm somewhat involved with a local snowmobile club. post everything up and set "rules" to keep the peace but some folks who have nothing to do with the club abuse the privilege of private land access. club gets bitched at. they bitch to whom listens which are the ones that follow the rules, as well as put up things like gates. honestly it's barely worth it much of the state when we don't get and keep snow often enough to make the effort worth it. i'd bet lots of money it's locals who are just free loading and just ruining it for the rest of the community who gives a damn.

• Like 2

I doubt its a club member.prolly a local using the trails. id call the club and voice your concerns. they may ask you what you want them to do about acess off trail to your property. always so idiot who ruins it for the general public.

6 hours ago, wooly said:

I didn't even think of those outlaws! Thanks Wooly!

14 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Oh forgot to mention that “frost heave” was from Steve and I flushing M-80’s down the crapper last time up. You should have seen the clog I made that required explosives to free it. 

I felt at least ten pounds lighter after. 

Haha, the cats now out of the bag to what really happened to his toilet bowl being toppled over like that!  LOL

On 3/19/2019 at 4:20 PM, steve863 said:

Haha, the cats now out of the bag to what really happened to his toilet bowl being toppled over like that!  LOL

you flushed a cat down there too? that's just wrong. i guess at least you took it out of the bag first.

On 3/19/2019 at 7:17 AM, First-light said:

I would. Tell them if people dont stay on the marked trails, then you will revoke any permission to rid on your property, and entries will be blocked off. Snowmobile clubs usually dont take that stuff lightly.

• Like 1

I also had a fairly HD ladder stand stolen from the backside of a property I'd owned. Unfortunately, didn't realize it until ~April when I was scouting for turkeys and the ground was bare. Had to have been a snowmobiler as it's about 1/4+mi to nearest road. Inquired with neighbors about anyone having permission to hunt or snowmobile on their adjacent properties - None! Although PO'ed, my hope is some one is using it and it wasn't merely stolen for scrap metal.

What I did the following deer after deer season ended was to remove the bottom ladder section & horiz brace and hide them in the brush ~100yrds from stand location. Seemed to work, never had another stand stolen. Or maybe neighbors were more alert to trespassers after I'd mentioned this issue.

• Like 1