2019 Lawn Thread

BizCT

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Hello, my name is Biz. It’s been 8 days since I mowed my backyard.

Barely beat the darkness after work and Had a little more clumping than usual. Don’t underestimate the leaf blower. I use to break any unseen small clumps. It’s like a blow dry after a haircut.

d417ca664f0934c0478e63f26125324a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got that same blower. Had it for about 10 years now and haven't done a thing to it, not even change the spark plug. Starts on the first or second pull every single time. Goes and blows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I've got that same blower. Had it for about 10 years now and haven't done a thing to it, not even change the spark plug. Starts on the first or second pull every single time. Goes and blows.

Me too. I bought an $89 blower three years in a row before I came to my senses. Now its Stihl everything

• Like 2

Me too. I bought an $89 blower three years in a row before I came to my senses. Now its Stihl everything

Yup, I’m very Stihl biased these days. That blower is from 2015 and it looks/acts the same as the day i bought it

• Like 2

I just got my first mowing in  yesterday . My lawn use to be a solid 8 . 2 acres.  Last years flooding destroyed  the back yard .  Alot of stone embedded  in sand . Washed away the top soil . I cleaned all the flood debris . There is just no top soil  to grow grass. I cant get topsoil in yet . Called my guy and said he cant screen as it's still wet . Called a couple others and got the same answer.  Creek has flooded 3 times in last 5 years. I think it would be a waste of time  to replace the topsoil out there.  I will have to suffer through with a 4 for now .

Golf cart got stuck last week, mower got stuck last night . Had to use ATV to get it out. I dont know how everyone is mowing, my yard is soaked

Kids want me to get a jet ski !! Softball got cancelled after sitting in opening ceremonies for two hours ..

Hoping for sunny days 

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

Almost two weeks since the last mowing. Rain in the forecast for nearly every day this coming week too. No way to get a machine back there unless it floats! Grass and yellow flowers are growing like crazy. Will be a big mess when I finally do cut it. May as well wait until July, and just brush hog it at this point.

Other thing is, where my boat is parked for the winter, I can't get back with my by truck to pull it ahead to start getting it ready. Anyone know if they make mower attachments for bass boats???

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Almost two weeks since the last mowing. Rain in the forecast for nearly every day this coming week too. No way to get a machine back there unless it floats! Grass and yellow flowers are growing like crazy. Will be a big mess when I finally do cut it. May as well wait until July, and just brush hog it at this point.

Other thing is, where my boat is parked for the winter, I can't get back with my by truck to pull it ahead to start getting it ready. Anyone know if they make mower attachments for bass boats???

Try an ATV ?

9 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Try an ATV ?

No way. It would be buried in short order in the muck and mud. At the very least, it would be rutted up beyond repair.

Can't remember a wetter early spring here. 

This is the wettest spring we have ever experienced in western NY also.  The local pro's are so far behind, that they were cutting today (on a Sunday).   I barely managed to get my own third cut done today, of all the parts of the lawn that were not under water anyhow, and I only got stuck one time doing it.    I have two 15 hp, 38" wide riding mowers, one with a gear and the other with a hydrostatic transmission.   The hydro must have posi-traction, and I have not got that one stuck yet.   It is not as good in the real thick grass though, because the hydro transmission is less efficient at putting the engine power to the blades.  While mowing the thick stuff today, I got the gear one stuck for the fifth time this season.  Thankfully, with all the practice I have had pulling it out with a bigger tractor, I can now yank it out of the mud-holes real fast.   I have been mowing this lawn more than 40 years and never had a mower stuck until this year.  We have not had more than two consecutive days that were above freezing without rain since last fall.   Whenever the sun does come out you can almost see that grass grow.          

Edited by wolc123

ATV and a bunch of 2x6’s as runners on the ground. It would be a slow process but could work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grampy said:

No way. It would be buried in short order in the muck and mud. At the very least, it would be rutted up beyond repair.

Can't remember a wetter early spring here. 

Might be easier to just launch the boat and drive it out of the yard. 

• Like 3

On 5/3/2019 at 5:49 PM, Moho81 said:

Looks like my dandelion farm is off to a great start this year!
5875e20547d0a0fd26d8fa2b3ce47a8e.jpg

Similar lawn to mine. Wife forbids me using weed and feed, so I guess I have to live with what I got.

15 hours ago, grampy said:

you're alright. the hay should be tall enough by then. probably get $3.50 to 4.00 per bale. might have to out source the baler and equipment though. you're a little too far for our equipment. something's gotta be around in Altamont though. 

• Like 1