How much land do you own or hunt on and how many blinds / stands / spots?

burmjohn

Just curious...

How much land you own or hunt on, and how many stands / blinds / hunting spots do you have on them?  How far apart are they? 

Our fam has ~100 acres, and we have about 8 stands and two blinds.  Adding a few more stands this year.  Next year hopefully more once we have some trails cut to get to some of the harder area's of the property to get to.    The problem with some of our property is accessibility, if walking it could take almost 60 min to get to the back area, mainly because the first ~25 min or so are straight up and the 2nd half is thick woods and or crazy rocks.  I'd love to rent a dozer next season and create a nice trail to the back.  We have a few ATV's generally we use them to get to the top, then walk to the stands.  I've walked it a few times, however if you all geared up for the winter, you can break a sweat fast since its a pretty tough walk.

we have 450 acres total  10 stands 3 blinds and a couple places just to sit on the ground.  They are scattered around mostly off trails to the food plots or trails back to the swamp where the deer bed.  Set up far am and pm stands hopefuly getting in without disturbing the critters.  They are also used depending on wind.  Eight of us total plus a few members kids.  Most are store bought stands and blinds with a coule home built box blinds on stilts. 

I really have 3 main hunting areas

Uncles abandoned farm up north-NZ (5H)-250 acres. there are logging roads and the wheeler is just used to retreive deer. only 2 permanent stands. Mostly ground hunting and I still hunt it alot. Usually 2-4 of us hunting

At my home access to almost 90 acres that is woods brush and mainly ag fields. 6 stands there with 2 buddies of mine. I mainly bow hunt this but is we get smowed out at camp it is m fall back for SZ and ML season. (8H)I use my wheeler to retreive but not going in.

My lease is 110 acres. It is usually Dad and myself and sometimes family and friends come up. It abuts 2500 acres of state land. We have 2 blinds, 2 stand and one large elevated box blind. 2 more box blinds are going in this year. we are pre-fabbing them to cut down on set up time down there. wheelers are only used to retreive here. At least until Dad feels like riding one in.(Area 7R)

I have one other farm that I can hunt in 6S but have not been down there in the last 3 years. that one is aout 150 acre....and on the side of a mountain...lol....hence the 3 years ;)

Lets see, we only have about 6 stands between four of us and only use them in select spots. Ground hunt alot, still hunt alot, stand hunt a little. As far as total acres we hunt, @400-500 in one place,+150 in another +100 (stateland)+30 in a small lot+30small lot by the house+? I dont know, a bunch, lol.

Don't own any of it but get permission by helping out and long standing relationships. We share the hunting with others in just about all of the spots. We use the stands pretty much in one 150 acre place and have the sets close together due to the thickness of the place. The thickness and varying winds are why we use the stands there to begin with, makes life a bit easier. It is by far the thickest peice of woods we hunt and the deer love it.

I have one other farm that I can hunt in 6S but have not been down there in the last 3 years. that one is aout 150 acre....and on the side of a mountain...lol....hence the 3 years ;)

That sounds like our one spot, we see no one in the steep spots which is nice. Consequently, that is where my brothers big bucks come from.

Me and my uncle hunt 180 acres and have 4 permanent stands on it.  Generally it's only the two of us hunting it, although the landowners two brothers and nephew have hunted the first two weekends of the regular season the past couple years due to AR restrictions and difficulties in drawing a doe permit in their usual hunting spot.  One of my favorite spots on this property is right on the ground where I am hidden away between two boulders.  I have also killed my share of deer while on foot, so treestand hunting is surely not the only tactic we utilize.

73 here at home...68+ another 50 at camp...rarely use the 50 we have permission to...camp has 9 stands...and one blind...here at home 26 stands 2climbers...2 shooting blinds/houses 14 ground blinds...2 portable blinds...

I group the blinds according to the wind and with in a 100yards no less than 150 ft...the blinds are placed scattered around before and between stand set ups....that way if I'm going in or coming out and glass deer between me and my destination...I can always get to cover and not spook them and get a chance at them should they come my way...pic shows a typical blind....

Let's see.... Fiance's land ~ 100 acres... 5 stands and 4 or 5 hunters max. Usually only 1 or two.

Second property..125 acres no stands ( leased timber company land) but plenty of stumps to sit on and trees to lean against. Generally 1 to 4 hunters. often just me.

3rd property... 125 acres...3 ladder stands. 2-3 hunters the first 3-4 days of season, after that, just me.

4th property. About 500 acres. 2 stands. Part of a hunting co-op . Numerous people have passes to hunt, so hunter numbers vary.

5th property 100 acres. No stands. Generally no more than 2 or 3 hunters. Often only me.

Not much, but the fact they are spread out helps a bit. 2 hunters total with the occassional FIL for one or two days a year.

109 acres owned through distant family. Acreage is leased to farm and only about 15 of it is woods or huntable hedge rows. Lots of tresspassing through gun but little done about it since the family owner doesn't take action. Bow season seems manageable as I'm there enough that others don't bother hunting it. Good for a few does and the occasional buck...lots of pressure in the area but high deer numbers.

25 acres, of which about 10 is useless due to house on property. Phenomenal bow hunting...best 25 acre piece of ground I've ever been on. Largely due to location and bordering large land tract that is hunted by one small party. Helps that the ground is sandwiched between two bedding areas and feeding areas. Bucks cruise this like clockwork last weekend in October to gun season. Seems to produce again during MZ after pressure ends. Gun season is a waste because the deer head to large tract once pressure starts. 3 of the 5 biggest bucks I've ever seen while on stand came through here.

7 acres...two of which are useless for hunting because of house. First season on it. Looks to be another phenomenal spot for size. More than 10 apple trees and located in narrow wood travel corridor for almost a mile. Likely great bow spot. Can gun hunt it but likely won't since owner hunts once in a blue moon. Center 3-4 acres is prime bedding. Creek on back side with large open field across the creek. Deer will funnel right by...with the wind going across the creek.

About 40 acres in Yates County....usually hit more during spring turkey. Occassional bow hunt (1-2 days a year early season) and OK for gun season just because pressure is relatively low. Decent deer numbers but distance from home prevents too much time spent there. Can overnight it if need be.

I own 6 acres and lease 1000 in central NY... I own a camp on 5 1/2 acres in the Tughill region surrounded by over 5000 acres of State land... I have one double ladder stand that I use for photographing on the lease land... I hunt the adirondacks on the weekends and hunt locally during the week. Haven't hunted much in Tughill .. the camp is only a year old so I haven't spent much time there during hunting season yet.. hopefully more this year.

I have about 20 acres that includes my father's property and the neighbor's property that I hunt. Another state access archery only area thats a couple hundred acres. I also have the farm, which is actually 3 farms (2 owned by one and another on seperate) that are connected that total up to 1400 acres, plus it butts up to 600ish acres of state land. I also hunt at a friend's land once in a while, and that is around 90 acres. My fathers land just has one stand and a ground blind. The state lands I hunt with the climber or still hunting. The farm is going to have 5 of my stands plus my ground blind. There are also some other people that hunt the farm, and they have a bunch of stands up. I also did a bunch of still hunting on the farm, and will continue to do that as well.

Then theres my buddy's "camp" down in the southern tier. I didnt go down there last year. Might go for a weekend this year.

274 acres private property almost all wooded, 10 perm stands, over 30 hang on,5 ladder,1 box blind more to be built as younger hunters are coming along.I do not allow wandering around(still hunting/scouting) when everyone is out (always safer to know where everyone is with lots of hunters in woods even if they are 300 yards away) 9 adult hunters for bow(mostly weekends)usually 2 during week. 10 hunters for opening day gun then varies down to 1  me :P . 12+ for muzzloader only time we do drives to get enough doe off property.No ATV'S allowed for any reason, use a tractor to retrive deer in tough areas and older guys get first choice of stands . Expect an increase in hunters next few years as friends sons/daughters are getting old enough to hunt and the 12 year olds are taggin along already for nice weather sits with dad,along with 4 nephews in the next few years..of course the older guys/dads seem to hunt less and less as the kids take over.....

Well I have access to about 4 million acres of state land in NY.  On top of that I have 150 acres of private land here at home and another 75 at camp that is surrounded by 6000 acres of state land.  Plus somewhere near 1000 acres I hunt a few times a year with a couple buddies on private farmland that we have permission to hunt.  I added up the number of stands the other day on another post here but darn if I can remember right now so Im going to guess a bit and say about 20 stands of my own not counting anyone elses.  Some days I truly wish I only had about 100 acres cause it drives me nuts thinking I should be in that "other" stand lol good problem to have I guess.

I have the house with 10 acres, it has one permanent stand....dont do much hunting there do to it being mostly one big open field, then down the road I own another 41 acres is where we do most of our hunting.... that has 3 permanents, 1 elevated tower blind, 4 ladder stands and 1 tripod..

Family has about 1000 acres on top of a hill in the foot hills of the catskills.  On the very end of of a dead end road which goes through about 5000 acres of state land.  I think we're up to 10 stands consisting of 3 ladders, and 7 hangers.  About 300 acres of the land is brutal side of the hill 800 foot drop in a about 1/4 mile, glacier carved valley.  If I was a tough guy I'd hunt that more because I'm pretty damn sure alot of big bucks hide out there during gun.

We have 180 acres we own with about a dozen stands mostly ladder stands. Plus 20 acres which I own that had 3 ladder stands on it. Also have access to 3 other parcels in same area one 140 acres, and two others about 35 acres each. The 140 acre piece had 4 stands, one home make.

Dave

OK a little embarassing but my brother and I have a 20 acre plot with one small food plot and an 8x8 ground blind looking out on plot. Good for bow season and alot of turkey. Not much action during gun and hard to access if snow or ice due to steep logging road. We also have 5 acres with permission for adjoining 10. Usually keep as sanctuary till end of gun but this year we might hunt earlier. I use a pop-up on this land but I'll build a box once I figure out where I want it. Maybe a food plot with it. Also have two clubs with 300 acres and 150 acres believe it or not with very little pressure because most guys have their own spots and are very generous with invites which has gotten us on 2,000 acre,115 acre and 50 acre properties. Funny thing is we had more action on the 50 acre parcel. We just picked up a camp with almost two acres adjoining woods that should be good due to apple trees and trails and tracks I have seen.

hunter, if it makes you feel better, I own a co-op apartment in NYC with about 1200 square feet of hunting space.

Since it's a ground floor level that faces the backyard a small field mouse just got in a couple of a days ago.  I stalked it for a couple of minutes and my girlfriend and I were able to flush it into a space between my TV stand and the wall.  I was trying to decide on the right weapon to harvest this mouse when my girlfriend handed me the closest thing she can find that can penetrate the tight crevice which happen to be an arrow with a field tip.  I thought about checking the New York State Hunters Regulation Manual but then I remembered clearly that there is no close season for bow hunting field mouse in your own apartment.

Holding it by its nock, I lifted the arrow into its ready position.  My heart started racing with anticipation.  I then bought the arrow down with such swift percision, the metal tip of the arrow struck the mouse right behind its neck snapping it.  It was not my first field mouse take and since it wasn't a trophy sized mouse either, I decided not to have it mounted.  Instead, it went into a plastic bag and into my trash can.

As you can see, I don't even own a tenth of an acre but that doesn't mean I don't have any oppurtunities to hunt therefore I am not embarassed about it.

in my county it is once a year in september.  I would call the county treasurers office to find out.  We got 250 acres of woods and a pasture for 2 grand

Shut the front door!  Where's this and how do I get in on this action?!?!