Deer Season Is Over ( for most of here in NYS ), But, Are You Done Hunting?

DirtTime

I may coyote hunt , this is the first deer season in years I didn’t shoot one from my stand, but I spent very few hours on it . So I may just hop in one with my deer gun and see, I may even sit in one of the huts at night, the new one boarders a field they’re  always in , heater,  cigar ,office chair , about my speed .

• Like 1

My hunting buddy needs one more deer for his freezer.  We talked about DMFA last year but never did. Now this idea is planted in my head and sounds great!! That season should pick up just after ducks close. From the bottom of her heart, Mrs. Bundy will be sending you guys a virtual one finger salute for giving me this idea...

I have time this weekend to go scouting. @Hock3y24  - Any tips on where to scout?? 

I'M hunting WABBITS...Hehehehe..

One of my buddies has 3 beagles and they are pretty good....The toughest part around here is finding decent cover....Used to be that just about any brushlot held rabbits..Now we only seem to find them in the thickest, nastiest, multiflora rosiest jungles, where you practically have to lay on your belly to get a shot...

I also will be doing some ice fishing...Another friend of mine has a 5 acre pond that produces slab bluegills...The ones that only take 5 or 6 fish to make a meal for two people..Ain't nuthin' tastes much better than bluegills out of that ice cold water...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

My hunting buddy needs one more deer for his freezer.  We talked about DMFA last year but never did. Now this idea is planted in my head and sounds great!! That season should pick up just after ducks close. From the bottom of her heart, Mrs. Bundy will be sending you guys a virtual one finger salute for giving me this idea...

I have time this weekend to go scouting. @Hock3y24  - Any tips on where to scout?? 

There is this thread from last year here that you may want to revive for this year. A couple people have replied lately.

16 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Unfortunately nothing to share that's public. We knocked on 50 or so doors two years ago and got yelled at, swore at, all sorts of things. Finally got permission to 40 acres, 2 years ago pulled up, hopped outa truck and loaded shotguns and shot 4 does with the truck doors still open. 

I hunt everything there is, until the seasons close.  Right now coyote and grouse are my targets.  Grouse in the early afternoon and yotes in the evening.  If the weather is nice and sunny, I'll hunt squirrel too.  There are few rabbit around here.  Crow are taken as targets of opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Has anyone noticed a decline in grouse numbers the last couple years?  Didnt kick up to many walking around this year.

Their population runs in cycles.  Nobody really knows why.  The cycle is on the downward side right now.  Still enough around to make hunting worthwhile, but you need to know what they're feeding on to find them.

Will get out for some rabbits and grouse a few times plus planning a weekend trip up north for snowshoe hares. A few years ago started hobby of wildlife photography, mostly deer and turkey, so will do a bunch of hikes with camera in hand waiting for spring time fishing and turkey season.

• Like 1

Got till December 31st in Westchester. Got out yesterday for my third sit this year and got a decent 4pt on a property the owner wants ever deer we see killed. Hopefully get out next Sunday for some big group deer drives on some spots we have lined up. 

• Like 2