Corona Virus Thread

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

It's going to work for the next month. Cause we have no choice. 

Lol, ya.  Several friends are freaking out because of this. 

Wasn't there something king Andy put in place to pay parents for two weeks? 

That is the old fall back but look at today's society . That issue is becoming less and less of one. Younger generation doesn't do face to face less and less .  Kids are on their phones.  The change I thought was always inevitable eventually. Just thinking this gives it more steam. 
I know if I was in school these days I would be asking why am I here? 

I disagree, the social structure still needs to be there. It still exists it’s just different than when we were kids. As the parent of a 12yr old I would fight the change you’re describing tooth and nail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Agreed with you rob on rest of school year being closed  and my wife is a teacher.  For her district  Albany so many kids depends on school meals.  That's the bigger issue 

Edited by sbuff

6 hours ago, OtiscoPaul said:

You’re mistaken it’s oxycontin...thanks Perdue Pharma!

Awesome , I’ve always saved all the oxy ,Percocet and so on when we had dental procedures, wife’s hip replacements and so on . Saving it for a rainy day may payoff well !

EE1D9973-15DF-4CA8-AD6A-658D6E9DB92B.jpeg

21 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Agreed with you rob on rest of school year being closed  and my wife is a teacher.  For her district  Albany so many kids depends on school meals.  That's the bigger issue 

Schools around here are doing meal plans to pickup or possible delivery in the area if needed. But I don't see them reopening for month left of school unless this goes away quick.

23 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I disagree, the social structure still needs to be there. It still exists it’s just different than when we were kids. As the parent of a 12yr old I would fight the change you’re describing tooth and nail!

I agree with you but as the new generation gets to age of having children those thoughts are changing.  I always saw this as a teen year away plan. That with increased tech and less social interaction i still think it's inevitable.  

It would start with high school.  Then mixed learning with younger kids.  Def a problem but school is not a sitter. And with a 24 hour workday these days not everyone works 9-5 so need childcare anyway.  

Y’all know I teach and would LOVE to remotely teach especially from Oct 1 - 12/31. It would be a huge mistake - what do we complain about most with kids? Interacting. Y’all suck at teaching your kids how to be civil (you threw a big shot across my bow so I must retaliate RESPECTFULLY). Schools are a social institution that offer a safe environment (school shootings kill less than Coronavirus) for kids to interact with other kids which parents do not allow anymore.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Y’all know I teach and would LOVE to remotely teach especially from Oct 1 - 12/31. It would be a huge mistake - what do we complain about most with kids? Interacting. Y’all suck at teaching your kids how to be civil (you threw a big shot across my bow so I must retaliate RESPECTFULLY). Schools are a social institution that offer a safe environment (school shootings kill less than Coronavirus) for kids to interact with other kids which parents do not allow anymore.

Lol. Was waiting for a teacher to chime in.  In a way this shutdown will be somewhat of a secondary social experiment. And although I agree that the younger generation needs more social interaction the question is do they? As they will frame how this takes place. Just as our parents look at smartphones we will grow old and our ideas will be looked on as the past as well. Don't want to muck up this thread, but found it interesting on a side note that we will be seeing how this takes in the next few months whether we like it or not.  

• Like 1

Lol. Was waiting for a teacher to chime in.  In a way this shutdown will be somewhat of a secondary social experiment. And although I agree that the younger generation needs more social interaction the question is do they? As they will frame how this takes place. Just as our parents look at smartphones we will grow old and our ideas will be looked on as the past as well. Don't want to muck up this thread, but found it interesting on a side note that we will be seeing how this takes in the next few months whether we like it or not.  

I get it and I am fortunate to teach in a district that is quite fortunate. I follow the edict of, “ do no harm” in my classroom- these kids will be fine in-spite of what I tell them. It’s the districts and communities that offer little opportunity that I wonder about- school is their ”only way out” for many-whether that’s through the sports they offer or the educational exposure.

I actually hope that some kids (even from my wealthy district) realize that there are other opportunities (and maybe better as profitable opportunities) beyond school to make a successful path for themselves. Too many kids from high achieving places are screwed cause they are not scholars/academics/financiers. They may find that trades are the way to go- I hope my kids do! I would love for them to be a plumber, electrician and landscaper! Kids of Crappy Home Remodeling has a sweet ring to it!!!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

I get it and I am fortunate to teach in a district that is quite fortunate. I follow the edict of, “ do no harm” in my classroom- these kids will be fine in-spite of what I tell them. It’s the districts and communities that offer little opportunity that I wonder about- school is their ”only way out” for many-whether that’s through the sports they offer or the educational exposure.

I actually hope that some kids (even from my wealthy district) realize that there are other opportunities (and maybe better as profitable opportunities) beyond school to make a successful path for themselves. Too many kids from high achieving places are screwed cause they are not scholars/academics/financiers. They may find that trades are the way to go- I hope my kids do! I would love for them to be a plumber, electrician and landscaper! Kids of Crappy Home Remodeling has a sweet ring to it!!!

Preaching to the choir here. I think trades and apprenticeship is a great way to go.   College debt is so much for honestly a lot of classes that are a waste of time that you have to take and mandatory pay for.  How many early childhood ed and arts degrees are being paid for and never used.  Although you always want kids to follow a dream still it's also good to have options. 

I had a hard time sitting in business classes in college and wondering why the professor wasn't in business and was teaching there.  And how we had to pay for his book for his class so he could skim off the top.  

Unless your a Dr or in a very specific tech area most of the classes in college are filler. Filler for the Universites pockets. 

Crappy , just left my nephews shop , he’s a school teacher and a “ hardscaper .” He started out working summers helping a guy do brick paver walks , and by the second summer was working for himself  . Today he’s about the most sought after guy around . Teaches during the day, does side  gig 4Pm -10pm and of course all day summers . Now that school is closed he’ll be working 7am -10 pm plus weekends just to keep up, with demand 

He can’t wait to hit twenty years and retire to do just the hardscapes , the amount of equipment he owns the ten acres his shop is on , booked a year out ,he’s killing it, teaching is almost his second job and certainly the lessor paying one . 

FC1A4260-8AA6-4DA8-B55C-50FF872857FB.jpeg

CED36BB4-CE6D-4AEE-92DE-36FEADB184CD.jpeg

• Like 4

I think skilled trades are a great option ,I've been in tool and die since I graduated high school in 95 . I will say they are not for everybody though ,I have seen some programs designed to help people get involved In skilled trades do more harm then good ,they'll push everyone through their program . You then get the pool of applicants over flowing with people that have no business even owning a tool box let alone getting paid to repair or build something , safety for fellow workers is also a major concern.

• Like 3

Crappy , just left my nephews shop , he’s a school teacher and a “ hardscaper .” He started out working summers helping a guy do brick paver walks , and by the second summer was working for himself  . Today he’s about the most sought after guy around . Teaches during the day, does side  gig 4Pm -10pm and of course all day summers . Now that school is closed he’ll be working 7am -10 pm plus weekends just to keep up, with demand 
He can’t wait to hit twenty years and retire to do just the hardscapes , the amount of equipment he owns the ten acres his shop is on , booked a year out ,he’s killing it, teaching is almost his second job and certainly the lessor paying one . 
FC1A4260-8AA6-4DA8-B55C-50FF872857FB.jpeg.da616d9886905d08cedfd61b4d956653.jpeg
CED36BB4-CE6D-4AEE-92DE-36FEADB184CD.jpeg.a9aa2543a0653d4b9174d22f9fecfe62.jpeg

FC1A4260-8AA6-4DA8-B55C-50FF872857FB.jpeg.da616d9886905d08cedfd61b4d956653.jpeg
CED36BB4-CE6D-4AEE-92DE-36FEADB184CD.jpeg.a9aa2543a0653d4b9174d22f9fecfe62.jpeg

Yeah man!!! When I started teaching (back at the catholic high school i attend in the Bronx - Go Rams!) I was working with a fellow alum- he was a DJ when we were in HS and built an EMPIRE! He told me he taught for the benefits but it really cut into his profits! I ran into him again when my hunting partner hired him for his daughters sweet 16. Teachers are turning into firemen and cops! What else can you do when you have “summers off and are done at 3:00 every day!”

31 minutes ago, Nomad said:

FC1A4260-8AA6-4DA8-B55C-50FF872857FB.jpeg

CED36BB4-CE6D-4AEE-92DE-36FEADB184CD.jpeg

As someone who has done hardscaping for a number of years, that is some nice looking work. 

I mainly did irregular bluestone patios and walkways.  Too old and wore out to do that kind of work anymore.  

• Like 1

I also agree,nice work. I am a mason,i do stone walls,patios,brick chimneys,fireplaces and masonry heaters.. Have been doing it for 20+ years. It is good work,but being self employed is not for everybody. I certainly don't have benefits or paid vacations. 

I guess it depends on the area you work in as well. Rural upstate NY doesnt offer a ton of wealthy clients. 

Still,it is work i enjoy and i can see what i got done in a day.

• Like 6