A great start to the season!

outdoorstom

Since I didn't fill my bow tag last year, I was able to start hunting on the 27th and had the good fortune to make the most of it tonight. I hustled home from work and was in my stand at 4:20. It was very windy, and threatening rain. I was sitting over a small clover/chickory plot up in the corner of my woodlot. I saw my first deer at 5:00, a spike. He browsed awhile, then got downwind of me and took off. Around 6:00, I had 3 does come through about 5 minutes apart. At 6:30, a 4 pointer made an appearance. Believing they are still in their bachelor groups, I was hopeful he wasn't alone. He browsed his way through and wasn't gone for a minute or so when what I thought was an 8 pointer showed up. He hardly even slowed down as he walked through the plot, so I grunted at him and he stopped right where I was hoping he would, at 25 yards. I got my pin on him and let it fly. I heard the arrow hit, and he bolted off into the woods. I wasn't positive, but thought I heard him crash. No more than 10 seconds after the shot, the sky opened up! I decided to climb down and check for sign, before it was gone. I found a good blood trail and followed it for about 10 yards and found my arrow. It was broken off, with the broadhead (Rage, 2 blade) missing. Blood covered 2/3 of the arrow. With it raining so hard, the blood trail disappeared before my eyes. I decided to back out and wait until morning. About 3 hours later, I couldn't stand it and went out to look for him. It took about 10 minutes before I found him 60 yards away. I'm glad I didn't wait, as there are quite a few coyotes around here.

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00305.jpg