Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Love that! I ordered them at Ohare airport once and they were purple. I said what the heck is this and they said "Oh thats our take on eggs benedict, they have burgundy wine in them". They were disgusting. People should leave perfect things alone

Mine will be sans Burgundy wine!  Does sound gross.....

• Like 1

You ain,t gonna kill 'em from the couch..

That said, I am fortunate, being retired for the last ten years, I can hunt nearly every day from  dawn until noon, and I usually do, as long as I have a valid tag...

Defintely more gobbling at first light, but most of those birds ae roosted near hens ( in early season without leaves they can probably SEE hens),

and often they are hard to call in because of that... Since 1973, I have seen the sun come up while listening for gobblers perhaps 1000 times or more...For many years I hunted before work in NY and PA, every day as long as I had a legal tag..

The birds that gobble later in the morning IMHO, are generally more willing to do business....

I have  a hunting buddy who is the best turkey hunter I know, and has killed many more gobblers than I have..He has killed LOTS of gobblers between 11:00 am and Noon...Still, he is in the woods every morning before daylight...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

That said, I am fortunate, being retired for the last ten years, I can hunt nearly every day from  dawn until noon, and I usually do, as long as I have a valid tag...

Defintely more gobbling at first light, but most of those birds ae roosted near hens ( in early season without leaves they can probably SEE hens),

and often they are hard to call in because of that... Since 1973, I have seen the sun come up while listening for gobblers perhaps 1000 times or more...For many years I hunted before work in NY and PA, every day as long as I had a legal tag..

The birds that gobble later in the morning IMHO, are generally more willing to do business....

I have  a hunting buddy who is the best turkey hunter I know, and has killed many more gobblers than I have..He has killed LOTS of gobblers between 11:00 am and Noon...Still, he is in the woods every morning before daylight...

As usual.......Gospel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Your friend must be 120yrs old to have killed LOTS more gobblers than you!   Of course his trophy room was the most amazing I have ever seen. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mowin said:

Snowing here now.  If I hunt, not likely, I'm going to stockpile snowball's.  Going to hit the gobbler so hard with a snowball that he would wish it was a load of #5's.  Lol.  

Wait until about 700 am and then go track 'em….Hehehe...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Sure is!

Pygmy wrote the hunters bible!

Thanks Grampy, but if you consider the hours I have spent  in the last  45 plus years hunting compared to the number I have killed, I am a piss poor turkey hunter....I just keep going out until I wear them down....I have spent many hours in the woods and due to that I have made many observations, but those turkeys  still kick my butt nine days out of ten...

I guess that is why I keep going out...After all of these years it is still a SPECIAL event when I kill one...

• Like 2

Just crawling out of bed. Plan to brush my teeth eat a fig bar and take the arduous 4 min drive to my spot then walk up a giant hill for what feels like an eternity and hopefully be able to go home nice and early

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Like 1

Heard gobbling for 45 mins. Never came closer which sucks then I froze my dick off and decided to crawl back into my warm bed. On the bright side no ticks to worry about today since everything was frozen and frosty. Also saw some baby geese so they were really tiny and cute. Poor guys probably freezing to death today. Hopefully tomorrow is less Doo Doo weather. There's always next weekend

Call Me The Teflon Don