I want the decoys facing me?

ApexerER

Ok, so I have looked around for a jake decoy and I haven't been able to find one. The places that are open are sold out....Walmart/Runnings. My plan tomorrow is to set my two hen decoys, one standing and one feeding about 20 yds from the blind and off to my left so if the Toms come out of the woods on my right they may come closer before hanging up. So do I really want the hens facing me? Would them facing my direction draw attention to me with the tom wondering what the turkey is looking at? Does it not matter because you it is only the jake decoy you set facing you?

Thanks for answering all my questions! If I am lucky enough to score it will be because of all your help!

• Like 1

Your plan sounds good to me. I don't think it matters all that much which way the decoys are facing. If it makes you feel better , have one facing left and the other one to the right. But if you get a Jake decoy , I would suggest that you set him up behind the hen decoys. I think your giving the Tom too much credit as far as reasoning goes but their senses of hearing and seeing are top notch. Good luck tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Do you set them up so they don't swivel? I could do that with a couple of sticks. 

Have DSDs. They’ll swivel. So I have them looking away and they usually swivel to looking to side. Lol   But watching the jake taking a ride on the hen decoy last year was priceless 

• Like 2

I had some swivel deeks.  Damm thing was spinning back and forth fast in high winds I thought it was going to take flight.  Couple sticks fixed that.  

As far as what direction to face them, it's a personal preference.  Don't matter.   They can see pretty much behind themselves.  That said, tom will mount hen from behind, so that might give you a extra second to get the bead on him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Turkeys are dumb, they don't care which way they point. Just pluck them in the ground.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Turkeys get dumb only a handful of days in a month. Catch them on one of those days and you’ll be carrying him home. Pick the wrong days and he’ll beat you almost every time 

• Like 2

not sure if it matters or not but when I use a full strut deke I always have it facing to my right or left, opposite of where I think the birds will come from. the theory is that they might hang up if they are face to face with the deke, you want them facing the opposite way so that they have to come around it to get its attention. just a theory though, probably doesn't even matter

• Like 1

Turkeys get dumb only a handful of days in a month. Catch them on one of those days and you’ll be carrying him home. Pick the wrong days and he’ll beat you almost every time 
Agree to disagree. As a rule in my opinion, they are stupid birds. Their only saving grace is eyesight and hearing. Their cognitive abilities are way down there I'd have to think. I photographed one years ago fighting his own reflection in a truck bumper, stupid. You can touch off a 12gauge mere feet away and one of their buddies drops dead and the other continues fighting him, stupid.

• Like 1

Agree to disagree. As a rule in my opinion, they are stupid birds. Their only saving grace is eyesight and hearing. Their cognitive abilities are way down there I'd have to think. I photographed one years ago fighting his own reflection in a truck bumper, stupid. You can touch off a 12gauge mere feet away and one of their buddies drops dead and the other continues fighting him, stupid.

My friend cam home to a bloodbath once, a tom beat himself bloody to his reflection on a storm door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This decoys looking this way, this ones looking that way, and this guys in the middle like “what do you want from me?” 9bcdc7250f2badf42194db111080ef88.jpg

Hey The_Real_TCIII...... I was thinking about wearing this shirt underneath my camouflage tomorrow. Think it might bring me some good luck ? Lol6F311639-D99D-40FA-902A-E0271A6CF889.thumb.jpeg.9ba405ccbe8b573f72332f9e9d691128.jpeg

• Like 3

This decoys looking this way, this ones looking that way, and this guys in the middle like “what do you want from me?” 9bcdc7250f2badf42194db111080ef88.jpg&key=31895f13bedf707a15c510d033559bf90769d0007cbfe220033969896addbee5

What, is this the first hole I ever dug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1