Overall - Good or Poor Season

nybuckboy

Overall, thus far, would you say this has been an good bow season as far seeing good bucks and opportunities.

For me... it has been poor and I've hunted alot. Saw some small bucks and one decent 6 pt early on and then it slowly tapered off that last 2 days I've nothing... not even a tail.

I probably will hunt both Sat and Sun and that will be it. Gonna spend some time on another tract of land.

Although I scored a decent 7pt on opening day this year I must say next to last year this has been one of my worse!! I know it sounds funny to say I scored the 1st day and have had a bad season but other then the 7pt I Shot and one other hunt I have not seen any deer!! And its pretty much a repeat from last season for me. I used to always see deer just about every hunt. Not sure whats going on.

For me worst in a long time...opening weekend of bow rain and high winds...didnt see a deer. November 3 hit and November 4 nada...so far not even a flag in the distance.

Going back up to hunt bow on friday bfore opening day then sat and then sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I have taken two doe so far so it is a good season but as for activity it has been slow the deer havn't been moving. I was sitting in my stand yesterday saying how it has been so slow then I saw the deer moving in and I got to take a doe. Made me much happier. The season can change in an instant you could see one deer this year and it might be the biggest you ever shot so keep your head up.

Filled tag in October is a good season for me. For seeing big bucks poor but it's early, same with overall deer activity.

Lots of clear warm nights, hopefully that will change.

Been seeing a pickup of rut activity so hopefully that will continue.

Edited by 7J Everyday

This has been the best season I've ever had, shot a nice 9 pt the first tuesday of the season. I took my six year old daughter out for the first time and she got to see me take a doe. I've also seen about 15 different bucks this season three of which will would score over 120. My only regret is filling my tags early and having to watch these other nice bucks walk by. cant wait for gun season to open.

Besides the terrible weather we had the first 2 weeks of season, things shaped up rather nicely.

No complaints here as far as #'s, quality of bucks in the woods, and oppertunities.

Probably have to rate it as one of my best seasons yet in that aspect.

We hunt primarily in Orleans County and this has been the worst season in ten years. We never saw the big guys sparring in early season in our fields back in by a swamp edge, the number of sighting of "shooter" bucks has never been lower (a total of three between three guys), and there's almost no does to speak of. I think that they must either be keyed into an alternate food source or still heavy in the corn. I hate to think that there's been disease or some such thing, but we saw incredible numbers of deer the past several years, so it's a very abrupt switch this year.

To recap what all are saying... especially the fact that we have to consider ourselves lucky to be able to get out and hunt... particularly us older guys.

That being said, to me what constitutes a good season, is seeing some good bucks and knowing they are around. Shot opportunities are the icing on the cake. Not seeing them preseason (Aug & Sept) and thus far during the season is what makes me disappointed.

To be out in the woods and seeing natures acrobatic gymnasts (red squirrels), to hear the turkeys gobble at first light, to hear the birds all come awake in the morn and the yotes howling at nightfall is what it's all about but dammit I'd just like to see a shooter buck to "be still my beating heart".