LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

8 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I greatly appreciate the offer. Im pretty sure i have a backup lined up if i decide to go that route. Thanks again.

If you decide to use the 1187 use some bismuth loads. Better performance than steel. Not too bad for a 2 3/4 bird load. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
  • Like 1

How is that possible.   I would assume the new place is solid!

They’re here, just moving at night. I have ~10 sets of tracks crossing my backyard, that were made last night! LOL I wasn’t feeling too ambitious this morning, so I hunted the stand ~175 yards behind the house. I must have cut another 15 or so sets of tracks by the time I got to the stand!

The ~150 acre wood lot (4 different properties) is bordered on all sides by corn and winter wheat/rye fields. I don’t have access to all of that, but a most of it. The deer only have to travel an area that’s about 50-75 yards in between thick bedding and ag fields. I guess since they have 14 1/2hrs of darkness to move around and feed now, with only 50-75 yards to travel to get to food, they really don’t need to move during the daylight hours.

All of my stands (5) are right on the edge of what I believe is their bedding area(s), so I can cover out to the ag fields. My stands are all within ~100 yards of the ag fields. Being that I just got permission to hunt here 5-6 weeks ago, I wanted to keep it low impact, as to not disturb anything. Hopefully I can catch a couple on their feet before muzzleloader season closes! I’ve lowered my standards “significantly”, to if it’s brown it’s down! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Question for you seasoned waterfowlers.

My father got a hunt for himself and me and my brother. We go out tuesday, on lake erie. We will be hunting from boat, anywhere from strawberry Island to Seneca shoals. Anyone ever do this before? Ive never been duck hunting, and im kinda stuck bringing my 11-87 skeet special which is 2 3/4 only. Am i under gunned? Guide says its fine but just curious, pretty pumped hope the weather cooperates. Asking this hear since it probably has the most views.

Wow that sounds like a fun adventure.  I have hunted swamps and the finger Lakes and Lake Ontario big water I am guessing Erie is like Ontario should be a lot of ducks migrating through so you should get some good action especially in a boat.  You should be OK using the 1187 and two and three-quarter 3 inch would be better but my son is using a 20 gauge today with 3 inch 2s and it’s getting the job done.  My guess is if you’re with a guide in a boat he should be able to put you on ducks for fairly close shots.   
post up the pics from this adventure when you get a chance as I would like to know how you did and good hunting and happy holidays. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Could it be a Brandt or variation of snow goose me thinks 

Definitely not a brant.  I agree with the suggestion of some kind of domestic goose.  Might explain why it didn't exactly run away when approached.

He said he had best day so far this season other than when tripped on a rock in the dark this morning setting a diver deke and face planted in Cayuga Lake. Been there done that....COLD.  His group is done and he’s frozen and tired but happy

D8878E4E-0B5E-4F15-98D4-6338638C8645.jpeg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Lomax said:

He said he had best day so far this season other than when tripped on a rock in the dark this morning setting a diver deke and face planted in Cayuga Lake. Been there done that....COLD.  His group is done and he’s frozen and tired but happy

D8878E4E-0B5E-4F15-98D4-6338638C8645.jpeg

Are they hunting on public ground?

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Question for you seasoned waterfowlers.

My father got a hunt for himself and me and my brother. We go out tuesday, on lake erie. We will be hunting from boat, anywhere from strawberry Island to Seneca shoals. Anyone ever do this before? Ive never been duck hunting, and im kinda stuck bringing my 11-87 skeet special which is 2 3/4 only. Am i under gunned? Guide says its fine but just curious, pretty pumped hope the weather cooperates. Asking this hear since it probably has the most views.

Im going there tomorrow. What choke? Bring A LOT of shells, youre going to be sending a lot steel

was a cold one this am. had a doe with 3 little ones come in on high alert, I was downwind of them. took my hands out of my muff to grab the gun on my lap and they stopped. never looked at me, never blew or stomped but caught enough movement and they're spooky enough that is all it took. had the gun up on the doe as she was leaving and didn't like the shot. happy to get some action and looking forward to tonight. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, dinorocks said:

Land scallops...you don’t know what your missing!

I've seen what comes out. I have no desire to eat them fully loaded :rofl:

18 hours ago, First-light said:

Just wouldn't shoot a button this time of season. This is my opinion and I'm not bashing enjoy the meat it will be great. 

nvm edit. just saw the post that it was targeted, but otherwise I'm with you here. 

Edited by Belo

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

Tacks is on his game today!!!

The fresh snow is the only reason this deer was found as there was very little blood after some of those early pics when I resumed the track with one of my boys

Thankfully he found one bed of many that had a faint drop of blood that then led to her solitary trail that was distinct as she was dragging her back legs.

When we walked up on her she was still alive but not well. I had to quickly finished her with my knife.

The shot was below the spine and back and nipped guts and seemingly just ripped up the arteries back there- I got lucky; plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats on the recovery... man a knife kill. I hope I never have to do that. Done a few gun finishers though.

2 hours ago, E J said:

I kept hearing what I thought was a swan honk every time I heard geese this morning while hunting. When I walked out this morning I was greeted by this critter. I. Pretty sure its a swan of some sort. Anyone ever seen one or know what sort of sub species it might be? It wasn't really interesting in getting away from me to fast.

20201218_092150.jpg

Farm goose possibly Egyptian 

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic