LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

I got into work early instead of hitting first watch. I hope/will/better get out around 2pm. I have seen one deer from stand, which was an unshootable buck, and nothing but tails since 11/25 when I shot the doe. Holy crap that is pizz poor! That is why I do not keep a journal of every sit after bow. I would get demoralized!

• Like 3

Yes, that’s awesome. But there’s xbow haters on this site, so I had to give it to Arcade. But you are still ahead of all compound treestand kills. I haven’t checked the power rankings in a while but you are right up there in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fair enough

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lomax said:

It’s a fowl morning here in the Fingerlakes. My son is thrilled to have taken a banded black duck on Cayuga Lake this morning.  

He said they are flying well and seeing good sized flocks of mallards and black dux with a mix of divers.  Good flocks of redhead are hitting the Fingerlakes as the cold weather froze up the northern lake plains swamps. 

6C85185E-7D1D-42E1-9F00-9E838D38A6A8.jpeg

7EF9C097-D0B1-414D-9B42-DF0352123180.jpeg

5B905F99-D72C-4D8E-9765-469DF9ACC583.jpeg

He is hardcore on those ducks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Just looked at the calendar and realized I haven’t even seen a deer in 33 days now! I’ve been out 22x since, without even a sighting! Sure is hard to get up and go out in sub freezing temps, knowing I probably won’t see anything. Really wanted 1-2 more for the freezer...

Ok, suiting up and heading out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is that possible.   I would assume the new place is solid!

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Tacks is on his game today!!!

The fresh snow is the only reason this deer was found as there was very little blood after some of those early pics when I resumed the track with one of my boys
474f637edd5e2f33fa3c580531588b13.jpg

Thankfully he found one bed of many that had a faint drop of blood that then led to her solitary trail that was distinct as she was dragging her back legs.

When we walked up on her she was still alive but not well. I had to quickly finished her with my knife.

The shot was below the spine and back and nipped guts and seemingly just ripped up the arteries back there- I got lucky; plain and simple.
c586a8ae4479f2950a9d513893568be1.jpg

cf9e03d3f4cffebf88e6990e607f4abd.jpg

919c7abe5194a04eca6e50055a11a12b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you found her!  Without question, snow is a game changer.  

• Like 5

Question for you seasoned waterfowlers.

My father got a hunt for himself and me and my brother. We go out tuesday, on lake erie. We will be hunting from boat, anywhere from strawberry Island to Seneca shoals. Anyone ever do this before? Ive never been duck hunting, and im kinda stuck bringing my 11-87 skeet special which is 2 3/4 only. Am i under gunned? Guide says its fine but just curious, pretty pumped hope the weather cooperates. Asking this hear since it probably has the most views.

• Like 1

Question for you seasoned waterfowlers.
My father got a hunt for himself and me and my brother. We go out tuesday, on lake erie. We will be hunting from boat, anywhere from strawberry Island to Seneca shoals. Anyone ever do this before? Ive never been duck hunting, and im kinda stuck bringing my 11-87 skeet special which is 2 3/4 only. Am i under gunned? Guide says its fine but just curious, pretty pumped hope the weather cooperates. Asking this hear since it probably has the most views.
Is 2 3/4" preferable? No. Can it de done? Yes. I'd recommend trying a few different chokes out beforehand and seeing what will give you your best pattern at decoy range, since you won't have a lot of shot to spare. You don't have any buddies that have a 3" gun you can borrow?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I kept hearing what I thought was a swan honk every time I heard geese this morning while hunting. When I walked out this morning I was greeted by this critter. I. Pretty sure its a swan of some sort. Anyone ever seen one or know what sort of sub species it might be? It wasn't really interesting in getting away from me to fast.

20201218_092150.jpg

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Is 2 3/4" preferable? No. Can it de done? Yes. I'd recommend trying a few different chokes out beforehand and seeing what will give you your best pattern at decoy range, since you won't have a lot of shot to spare. You don't have any buddies that have a 3" gun you can borrow?

I probably could borrow a shotgun. I procrastinated to long getting a 28" vent rib barrel for my mossy 835. I tried picking one up after Thanksgiving and they are all gone. 

12 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I probably could borrow a shotgun. I procrastinated to long getting a 28" vent rib barrel for my mossy 835. I tried picking one up after Thanksgiving and they are all gone. 

You are welcome to borrow my win sxp if you want to pick it up in Webster. 

7 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I'm following this, I've looked around on the internet a little bit and can't find exactly what it is...

Isnt that the duck that Lomax's son was trying to kill.  They rarely come this far south if I recall.

Never mind.   King Eider but doesn't look the same

Edited by moog5050

5 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I just did the same thing and this is close but...

https://www.birds-of-north-america.net/Greater_White-fronted_Goose.html

I thought that too, but it's missing the basal knob. Cornell Lab of Ornithology app couldn't ID from photo either. Very interesting. 

Edited by Splitear

If you were closer I'd let you take one of mine, I've got a couple of 3" guns. As long as the birds are decoying well and your throwing a good pattern you should do alright, worst case scenario.

• Like 2

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic