What would you buy.....

BizCT

As a NY resident, If you had $30K to spend on land, what would you buy and where, and why?

Out of state like CT or NJ where you can bait and hunt more bucks, their seasons are different than NY.

PA where they have different seasons, but only allowed 1 more buck?

In-state, NY but its almost like whats the point if you already have access to good hunting land?

spend it on multiple huntings trips?

buy far away land in another state, but then how do you manage it?

Thoughts?????????????????????

It depends on alot of things but I would definitely want it to be close enough to use and get to in an emergency. Trust me there will be emergencies. Another thought is will you be retiring there? My camp has alot lower taxes so that's part of my long term plan. I think Jersey will have high taxes, probably Conn. too. Maybe Pa. but I don't know if their seasons are long enough. If you can take off to enjoy their season that would be an option. Good luck.

I would invest the money & keep hunting where I currently hunt. The old story the grass is greener never pans out. NJ high tax's & Conn the same. PA is affordable but not much different then NY. Kansas, Iowa, Illinois expensive land because of the deer oppertunity. For me I am thinking of downsizing my property & hunting NYS land.

i would buy and or build a 4 wd camper more than likely from a van or make a truck into a walk through. would have redundancy on all systems ie. electrical fuel supply the propane system on board air ect to minimize down time due to break down.front winch slightly over sized tires for ground clearance just enough room to pack in 3 men and a couple flushing dogs.so i could travel to where i wanted to hunt. there is more than enough state land in new yuork alone to stay busy for a very long time trying to see all of it

id buy in NY but thats me... i just bought land upstate and i also was looking at out of state land in PA and Ohio. i decided to keep in NY. if i was to buy out of state id totally buy some land in ohio. For no other reason other then ohio is known for big deer depending on the area but at the end of the day its just like NY and NY is a closer drive.

biggest problem I see with buying land in NY is a few things.

1. How close is decent land in NY for big bucks from lower Westchester County?

2. How do you manage and keep an eye on this land?

3. I already have access to free private land in Putnam County, where I have a legit chance of harvesting a buck every year. Never booners, but up to 8-10 points and 120.

4. Buying land in NY, doesn't give me extra buck tags. So if I tag out on opening day in putnam county, what am I using this extra land for? Its nice hunting less than 10 miles from home.

I DID buy land in western NY about 10 years ago, mainly because I wanted to have a camp in a state where I could hunt on Sunday, and land was a lot cheaper in NY than in my own state. I won't lie, like many things there are pros & cons. 30k can probably get you 30 acres still in NY if you look hard enough, but might be tough finding anything right now that includes gas & mineral rights. I did the food plot thing for a couple years, but it became more trouble than it was worth.

Pros- My own property that I can manage the way I want. Not a whole lot of planning if I want to hunt, as opposed to going on a guided hunt. The Marcellus shale boom has driven values up in the area. Private land with a good deer & turkey population. Could be a great retirement location some day. I can probably log it again in another 10 years. I have equity in the land, so I can recoup my investment some day (and maybe a profit) if I ever decide to sell. The stock market sucks, I'd rather put my hard-earned into land than give it to a Wall-Street shyster.

Cons- 300 miles each way, and gas is $4/gallon. Property tax payments are much higher than they are in PA. Have to rely on neighbors & friends in the area to keep an eye on things when I'm away.Ongoing fued with new neighbor (from PA, of course, LOL) over property lines. NY non-resident Supersportsman license almost $300.Did I mention property taxes?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Land in ohio..5000+ an acre... iowa 10-20,000 an acre. id stick in ny, you can still find good deals if you have the time to look. A good piece with timber on it will pay taxes for quite a while if managed properly. as well a provide a fun recreational spot. larger parcels are less expensive per acre, than smaller. you can always add a cabin/home later

I can't see getting much of anything in NY for $30K, and then if you do the taxes will no doubt be insane. My opinion is coulded by wanting to leave NY anyway, I would head for Oklahoma or some where cheap, better weather and cheap land and very low taxes.

Edited by Doewhacker

I can't see getting much of anything in NY for $30K, and then if you do the taxes will no doubt be insane. My opinion is coulded by wanting to leave NY anyway, I would head for Oklahoma or some where cheap, better weather and cheap land and very low taxes.

Are you kidding? Western NY, I could easily get 20-30 acres for $30K. Same with upstate NY as well. Biggest issue is watching the land, and if its even going to be used since I already have access to good hunting land closeby. Thats why I am thinking out of state for extra buck tags.

Other option is invest the $ and its good for 5-10 hunting trips over the next few years.

If putting trophies on the wall is what's most important to you, then the above option is no doubt the best. Plenty of people buy land thinking they will kill monsters on it. Sooner or later they may get one, but it most likely won't be on a regular basis. Go to a few good out of state spots with an outfitter and your odds will be way better.

Depends what people like I guess. Some people like planting food plots and all that stuff, but I tell you it will get old sooner than later, most especially if you are driving a good distance to get to it. Plus, for just the taxes you'd pay on even a small chunk of land each year, you can have a good down payment on an outfitted hunt with NO headaches associated with owning land. People buy land thinking it will be only fun and games. They don't realize all the work and money that goes into owning it.

Are you kidding? Western NY, I could easily get 20-30 acres for $30K. Same with upstate NY as well. Biggest issue is watching the land, and if its even going to be used since I already have access to good hunting land closeby. Thats why I am thinking out of state for extra buck tags.

I live upstate, land prices around me are insane. Sure you could find something in the WNY area but like you say it will be a haul to get to it. I think going on a hunt would be your better bet, some one to do the scouting and stand hanging for you with out worrying about any of the other issues that come with owning land.