LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Live from the office, Catching up from the weekend. Congrats to everyone that got it done at the buzzer. @cynthiafu so sorry for you loss. 

We did drives yesterday! I left at 10 without seeing a deer but the guys got 7 total. Can't believe i missed out. 

I'll be back out with the crossbow...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moho81 said:

It can be a lot of fun and a lot of ball busting. Honestly though I do it with the same group of guys every year and during the drive it’s all business. Constant communication from start to finish and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Not once in 25 years of doing it have I ever felt unsafe.

I do feel the same way about the big buck and from memory today was the only time a big buck was taken during a drive. I know one year I missed a dandy 8 point at 20 yards and he was only walking. Another year we had another big 8 on the move but he squeezed back through the pusher without anyone getting shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah used to do drives all the time when i was younger. They were fun and I enjoyed the more mobile and team aspect of it vs sitting in a tree. Most of the family is hardcore archery now and most will have 1 or 2 in the freezer by the time the middle to end of gun so we don't do it often anymore.

There's also always a worry that we push deer to other guys, which is kind of shitty attitude when you think about it, but I think most of you get that thought too.

Took a nice long walk around the property. Never saw a tail. Saw enough tracks to keep me motivated though. Checked 10 cams, but only had 3 pics with daylight activity in the past week and that was of single does. UGH!!

On the positive side, I got pics of a nice buck that hasn't been around for several weeks now. He was checking out a mock scrape 15 yards from a stand. Looks like he and the smaller 8pt were trying to trail a doe too. I have pics of the smaller 8pt yesterday morning just before daylight and it looks like he was chasing a doe.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

THIS is what keeps me going throughout the season. Even though the deer are mainly moving at night, I KNOW the deer are around, and it just takes something (doe, coyote, hunger, etc...) to get them up and moving during the day for me to see them. 

I'll be back out later this afternoon!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, doebuck1234 said:

Figured since I was up here running generator I'd take a walk and assess the mess.just missed cousins ground blind and didn't have to go far to find dads

I'm nervous to head back in the hardwoods... at the very least there will be some limbs and stuff blocking approach trails. Thinking maybe an afternoon sit at some point so I'm not all turned around in the dark haha

Vacation day off work to hunt today. It’s my Dad’s bday and he can’t hunt, so I’m giving the ML a first time try. Never shot a ML before. Heading to 3N, 31° and 6-7MPH winds

135b6dd8304374a75d63d1c890c4f0b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great season of action continues. Kicked up a deer on my way in. Passed up this young 5pt around 820am at 40yds. Then still hunted late morning and saw 7 does/fawns yarded up together. Lots of fresh scrapes and rubs.

And I was 6 hours behind our new target buck (8pt). Every since we killed the 7pt and 6pt, this guy moved in and has been on 4 different cams. He’s going wild. Needless to say I’m not leaving as originally planned to bowhunt 3S. I’ll stay here till dark. He may have been the lone deer I kicked up this morning.

2d29b481168dc381e110a74fbf1be172.jpg

0deabdb8d301b938a5b7dbeb15259b97.jpg

a3d283010e7999811f3707f487ce7b6c.jpg

8ec499feff79f2cf9ffd679dadaafd21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 17

There's a little piece of DEP land accessible from my private road. You can get to it across other private property or by corner hoping from another piece of DEP property. 

Someone set up a portable ground blind in a spot I hunt there. I first noticed it opening week and it looks like it's been abandoned - bottles and jugs strewn around and it has collapsed from the rain and snow. It wasn't there last year. 

I'd like to clear that spot and pull the garbage out but don't want to steal someone's blind. 

So ... take it and reuse on my property or break it down, fold it up and leave it with a nice bow?

17 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Welp not the buck i was looking for but 1 last good doe for the freezer. Saw a 4pt this a.m. with a unknown deer. This doe came in with another and 2 button bucks at 430, onto muzzloader.

Ive gutted alot of deer through the years, maybe ive never paid attention but does this deer have 2 livers? Or is that another organ ive never noticed? Large spleen?

20211212_183231.jpg

20211212_183236.jpg

That is confusing for sure, but maybe an odd shaped spleen

47 minutes ago, left field said:

There's a little piece of DEP land accessible from my private road. You can get to it across other private property or by corner hoping from another piece of DEP property. 

Someone set up a portable ground blind in a spot I hunt there. I first noticed it opening week and it looks like it's been abandoned - bottles and jugs strewn around and it has collapsed from the rain and snow. It wasn't there last year. 

I'd like to clear that spot and pull the garbage out but don't want to steal someone's blind. 

So ... take it and reuse on my property or break it down, fold it up and leave it with a nice bow?

Personally I would probably clean up the trash, break it down and leave it there in case the guy comes back at the end of the season or later. Who knows what happened and maybe he just could not come back out like he planned. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Personally I would probably clean up the trash, break it down and leave it there in case the guy comes back at the end of the season or later. Who knows what happened and maybe he just could not come back out like he planned. 

I'd bag the trash, and leave it next to the folded up blind too.

If still there in the spring, the blind is yours for the trash removal fee. 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Ive gutted alot of deer through the years, maybe ive never paid attention but does this deer have 2 livers? Or is that another organ ive never noticed? Large spleen?

If I’m looking at what I think you’re talking about, that’s just one of the lobes of the liver.

31 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Glutton for punishment. I’m up til closing. Overdressed and warm. Got done what I had to. Only other opportunity is Tuesday. 

I’ll join you tomorrow, to windy for me today , Thursday looks awesome temperature wise , if wind stays down that’ll be a nice afternoon hunt .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Glutton for punishment. I’m up til closing. Overdressed and warm. Got done what I had to. Only other opportunity is Tuesday. 

:good:              :hunter-smiley-face:

• Like 1

Put some fresh batteries in a couple of cams on my way in. A bit breezy, but can’t complain! Sitting in the stand where the bucks I posted above have been patrolling for does at night. Hope something will make a mistake and come through during the day!

After my morning hunt, I was reminded how much I hate my sling! This sling slides all over on my shoulder and if I’m not careful, the gun will slide upside down! I planned to get one of those “claw” slings before this season, but forgot! UGH!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

After my morning hunt, I was reminded how much I hate my sling! This sling slides all over on my shoulder and if I’m not careful, the gun will slide upside down! I planned to get one of those “claw” slings before this season, but forgot! UGH!!

Found some great deals on allen slings at wallmart after the season ,have the nice silicone knobs on them that grab fabric well .  5 bucks for a 20 dollar plus sling. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Love my claw slings ! They stay put 

• Like 2