Arizona banned trail cameras

Swamp_bucks

Well Ive hunted for the better part of my hunting life with out them , so would I say I need them , no . But I  would miss using them, As I’ve gotten some pretty cool photos of game. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 5

Short of NH with it's weird laws, states banning cams is mostly a western thing predicated by impact on wildlife, fighting, and profiteering.

Water holes that are the primary source for game for 10 miles end up having 50 cameras on them constantly being checked or disrupting game ability to get water.

There could have been a better middle ground solution, but outfitters and idiocy pushed for this. Plus people are stupid sometimes.

It's not a likely issue here in the short term. They're putting in a season in many WMUs to kill deer in September. That's tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.

• Like 1

Very interesting, and upon reading the headline I thought "well that's stupid". However, the focus on limited water sources and cameras impact on wildlife access, as well as the confrontations and hunter interference due to camera use are good points. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just do a ban on public land though, as that seems to be where most of the issues are occurring. 

a couple decades ago in highschool i had every deer patterned that was in the area to the point I knew exactly where they'd be up until the rut shuffled things up. i worked outside on the farm and was out scouting without any trail cam for many hours during the week though. with busy life now, work, and kids i don't know how i'd focus my efforts and be nearly as productive at targeting specific bucks without them.

4 hours ago, Splitear said:

Very interesting, and upon reading the headline I thought "well that's stupid". However, the focus on limited water sources and cameras impact on wildlife access, as well as the confrontations and hunter interference due to camera use are good points. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just do a ban on public land though, as that seems to be where most of the issues are occurring. 

Outfitters....that part is no different than what certain other states or countries do. IE Montana or trying to hunt within certain areas of Canada, etc.

This law banning cams makes outfitters more money. So outfitters lobbied hard for it. It's a full fledged industry out west.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

a couple decades ago in highschool i had every deer patterned that was in the area to the point I knew exactly where they'd be up until the rut shuffled things up. i worked outside on the farm and was out scouting without any trail cam for many hours during the week though. with busy life now, work, and kids i don't know how i'd focus my efforts and be nearly as productive at targeting specific bucks without them.

Cameras are one tool in the bag. Not the only tool.

But, you are right, with reduced time, they become more impactful. Honestly if I couldn't run cams, my interest in hunting would probably fall dramatically because I simply don't have the time I used to, to hunt the way I want to. Trail cams help cover that gap.

I get out glassing for short periods of time during late summer, but that too, is only one tool in the bag.

2 minutes ago, phade said:

Cameras are one tool in the bag. Not the only tool.

But, you are right, with reduced time, they become more impactful. Honestly if I couldn't run cams, my interest in hunting would probably fall dramatically because I simply don't have the time I used to, to hunt the way I want to. Trail cams help cover that gap.

I get out glassing for short periods of time during late summer, but that too, is only one tool in the bag.

trail cams for me seem to be a way to stay plugged in while I'm totally absent during the work week. i typically rely on word of mouth and talking with surrounding neighbors about what might be taken off the table to hunt a specific property, another tool. it all helps me hunt what's there, not just sit in a good spot and hope.

1 hour ago, phade said:

Outfitters....that part is no different than what certain other states or countries do. IE Montana or trying to hunt within certain areas of Canada, etc.

This law banning cams makes outfitters more money. So outfitters lobbied hard for it. It's a full fledged industry out west.

+1. For those crazy expensive governor tags that people pay $300K for, they have the animals watched for months and then the raffle winner comes and gets it.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I’m not a fan of guys using cell cameras to choose which stand based upon almost real time movement of a “ hit lister “ ( a term that makes me gag .)  

Thats me no food plots , no cell cameras . You guys have at it , just not my style . 

• Like 2

I wouldn't be shocked if NY did that. I would fathom a guess it would be a ban for public land only for the cams, which I can sort of understand. Agree not so much, but understand.

If NY does follow and make a ban, I wonder how many boating accidents will involve boxes of trail cams?

Also, lets be real here- many people that own their own land will pay any attention to this ban anyway. They may drop the cell cams because those can be traced and tracked, but the basic cams will still be on trees.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...