Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

Been a crazy busy week. Saturday got my son out for youth Turkey in PA while I was sick as a dog and really didn’t want to go.  I’ve never called in a male bird and only have been trying for two years. Anyways we get set up in the hedge row between both fields with a Jake and hen decoy at 5:15. At 5:50 three gobblers start going off right where we thought they’d bee 400 or so yards off. 
at about 6:00 i start calling and their responding. 
6:20 I can tell their on the ground but then they shut up. 
6:55 I see them enter our field all three strutting with two hens. 
7:10 looks like their leaving and we think about making a circle around the property. As soon as we get the gun and unloaded and to the edge of the hedge row I see their fans again coming up our way. 
7:30 their coming in slowly and finally see our decoys. two toms perk right up and go right after the Jake decoy. POW, my son missed at 25 yards and they flew off back to the roost area. 

we both had an AWESOMe Time, first time Near strutters for the both of us. Wont forget this one anytime soon. 

D7516C28-3932-473D-8413-FF4E99C09160.jpeg

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I could miss a turkey that swallowed me. I missed the same bird twice a couple years ago lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One opening morning many years ago, I  called up and missed two separate longbeards by 7:00 AM.......

• Like 8

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

This spring has been brutal…for spring…and just not enjoyable. Been on the golf course 7 times (tough office) and every time it’s been windy and not pleasant. Not cold, but just not pleasant. Tomorrow has 20+ mph gusts predicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea. you been to my new house in CT. I swear it's extra 5-10mph wind here compared to 1/2 mile down the road.

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

One opening morning many years ago, I  called up and missed two separate longbeards by 7:00 AM.......

I did the same thing in Pennsylvania one year, maybe 1993 or 94.   

Shot right over the top of both adult Tom’s about an hour (and 2 miles) apart.    I had another going but was so disgusted I left and drove home.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Been a crazy busy week. Saturday got my son out for youth Turkey in PA while I was sick as a dog and really didn’t want to go.  I’ve never called in a male bird and only have been trying for two years. Anyways we get set up in the hedge row between both fields with a Jake and hen decoy at 5:15. At 5:50 three gobblers start going off right where we thought they’d bee 400 or so yards off. 
at about 6:00 i start calling and their responding. 
6:20 I can tell their on the ground but then they shut up. 
6:55 I see them enter our field all three strutting with two hens. 
7:10 looks like their leaving and we think about making a circle around the property. As soon as we get the gun and unloaded and to the edge of the hedge row I see their fans again coming up our way. 
7:30 their coming in slowly and finally see our decoys. two toms perk right up and go right after the Jake decoy. POW, my son missed at 25 yards and they flew off back to the roost area. 

we both had an AWESOMe Time, first time Near strutters for the both of us. Wont forget this one anytime soon. 

great story, hopefully he isn't too bummed and discouraged about the miss. Add him to the long list of us who have whiffed and let him know he's not alone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

There's a story about this...

I had always carried 7 shells with me.Not 6.....not 8....SEVEN..  Superstition, I guess..

Then one spring since I had never need more than 2 or 3, I  decided would  carry FOUR shells...

Opening morning, I called up a gobbler to about 25 yards...I shot right over his head and dumped two more at him as he flushed, and never touched a feather...Walked back to my truck with my dick in the dirt.. Standing by my truck, I heard a bird gobble across the road...

I walked about a hundred yards and set up, and called the gobbler right in...  He came in on a dead run, and popped out from behind a big oak about ten yards away..He spotted me and did a U turn, still traveling at about Mach IV...  I shot my last shell at his head at a range where my pattern was about the size of a grapefruit and missed clean... Then I  stood there with an empty shotgun and watched him run straight away with his head in the air.... I went back to carrying SEVEN shells after that..

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

There's a story about this...

I had always carried 7 shells with me.Not 6.....not 8....SEVEN..  Superstition, I guess..

Then one spring since I had never need more than 2 or 3, I  decided would  carry FOUR shells...

Opening morning, I called up a gobbler to about 25 yards...I shot right over his head and dumped two more at him as he flushed, and never touched a feather...Walked back to my truck with my dick in the dirt.. Standing by my truck, I heard a bird gobble across the road...

I walked about a hundred yards and set up, and called the gobbler right in...  He came in on a dead run, and popped out from behind a big oak about ten yards away..He spotted me and did a U turn, still traveling at about Mach IV...  I shot my last shell at his head at a range where my pattern was about the size of a grapefruit and missed clean... Then I  stood there with an empty shotgun and watched him run straight away with his head in the air.... I went back to carrying SEVEN shells after that..

Maybe I should be content that I have never shot at a bird - keeping my perfect record of no misses alive baby!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Get out this Spring. Post up a pic of your 1st Bird!

Thanks Bill.  I doubt it but good luck.  I have a ton going on and Turkey hunting is very low in terms of priorities.  But I like to see you and others shoot ‘em in the face.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

No, missing them’s more fun! It’s like catch and release fishing! Best part is you don’t even have to eat them!

Maybe so, but I would like to keep my 1/1 record intact, when shooting turkeys.  I think I will use my 12 gauge 870, with 3” lead # 5’s on opening day behind our house this year.  That got the job done, just not as cleanly as I would have preferred, because it took a second shot to finish my bird.  

I am still going to use my scoped 16 gauge over at my parents next Saturday.   

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

At my makeshift Blind in New Jersey.

Lohman Double Thunder Black Walnut Box + Lynch's  World Champion Mahogany Box with  a Black Walnut Lid. Both bought in the early 1990s. Starting to warm up a bit.

20220429_071956.jpg

2 box calls? I haven't seen that before. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Sure. Why not. That Lynch Box is a 2- Sided Box. So 2 different  Tones. So,I sounded like 3 Hens out there this morning. 

For me it would be bulk. I didn't mean to sound negative, just that I haven't seen a lot of it. I for sure carry multiple pot and diaphragm like you mentioned to imitate different birds. 

On 4/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, Belo said:

great story, hopefully he isn't too bummed and discouraged about the miss. Add him to the long list of us who have whiffed and let him know he's not alone!

Absolutely not, it’s all he talks about, he’s ready to go again.

• Like 2

Maybe so, but I would like to keep my 1/1 record intact, when shooting turkeys.  I think I will use my 12 gauge 870, with 3” lead # 5’s on opening day behind our house this year.  That got the job done, just not as cleanly as I would have preferred, because it took a second shot to finish my bird.  

I am still going to use my scoped 16 gauge over at my parents next Saturday.   

I think you had an Indian issue not an arrow issue on that mishap.

• Like 3

On 4/28/2022 at 9:18 AM, Lawdwaz said:

I did the same thing in Pennsylvania one year, maybe 1993 or 94.   

Shot right over the top of both adult Tom’s about an hour (and 2 miles) apart.    I had another going but was so disgusted I left and drove home.    

I had a similar morning as well in PA. I blew it on two different longbeards about an hour apart on totally different parts of the lease I was on. After I missed the second one I was pretty dejected.  I still had time to hunt before my ride would be ready to go. I walked into a different part of the lease and had  another gobbler going. I called him in to a out 100 yards but never saw him. I was actually glad he didn't come in so I wouldn't miss another one!

Edited by E J

1 hour ago, E J said:

What time are the birds starting to gobble in the morning to anyone whose been out scouting? I am thinking about getting out in the morning to listen at a place about a 15 minute drive from the house.

They seem to be gobbling at night and in the morning at least so far this year from my scouting. Heard birds as late as 10am.

I guess this is how it usually is for me. Much like deer turkey rutt is basically same time every year.

Imo Weather affects how they  communicate sometimes, and nests can be discarded or destroyed and restarted if the hen chooses to, but basically turkeys are active all month. Scouting will always be worth the work.

15 hours ago, E J said:

What time are the birds starting to gobble in the morning to anyone whose been out scouting? I am thinking about getting out in the morning to listen at a place about a 15 minute drive from the house.

They seem to be gobbling at night and in the morning at least so far this year from my scouting. Heard birds as late as 10am.

I guess this is how it usually is for me. Much like deer turkey rutt is basically same time every year.

Imo Weather affects how they  communicate sometimes, and nests can be discarded or destroyed and restarted if the hen chooses to, but basically turkeys are active all month. Scouting will always be worth the work.

20220430_123153.jpg

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I am teaming up with Cynthia again. I have a Good Spot for her and,I will be a good 1/4 mile off.  

Good Luck Y'ALL!

Might as well say I am on my own . You will be so far away . But I am hoping with all the practicing  I can get it done .  If you hear snoring it is not me . Happy turkey eve all

• Like 3