DMP going up another 17% ....

growalot

Yeah, 8N is taking another jump. I'm beginning to wonder if permit numbers really mean anything anymore. It seems that even when they issue more, the herd size keeps going up. Could there be a saturation point where higher permit numbers do not equate to higher deer takes? That would be a scary thought.

• Like 1

Allow the hunters who actually use them to obtain more.  That is a good solution for thinning the herd.  I am sure some here could use more than the 4 allotted (second chance included).  I know I would be happy to have another one.

• Like 2

The problem with some of the region 8 N an J specifically bc I hunt there often is the land. ...private land is most of the region and the state land that is there all though great hunting the deer are not dumb. You can see them in the middle of day in open fields during hunting season on private land that is either pressured very very little or is not hunted. So hunters who get dmps for that area are hard pressed to tag out.

• Like 2

I agree that they should allow people to use DMPs if they are killing the does, but it is a slippery slope.

The limit for the two consigned DMPs is stupid imo, but I also understand why they do that. I think they should offer a similar program to 8C or other units. Shoot a doe, gather evidence in some fashion, and get a DMP reissued. That way they can monitor the extra take beyond the alloted DMP tags and not deal with consignment issues.

The trick is finding enough hunters who will fill them. I don't come close to filling all mine,super sportsman plus 2 dmaps,because I don't need that much meat.

It's just me and the wife at home now. Two deer are plenty for us and frankly I give a bunch of the ground away. Sure I take a deer here and there to give away,but now much work am I willing to do to give them away,and I'd rather sit and wait for a buck of shootable size then,take a doe for another.

What we need is more hunters,not more tags per hunter .

But don't worry what with crossbows now legal,I d imagine all the deer will be killed with in 2 or 3 days and the dec's goal will be exceeded........

• Like 1

To many deer and not enough hunters= ------ There will never be enough hunters to take out what they think should be gone. In reality is there really to many deer?  Look at all the states that are now at war with their DEC-DNR departments because they have wiped out the herd past repair. There sure is not to many on my 700 acres yet they try and tell me there is!

What are they going to do in say 5 years when hunter numbers drop a few more %.  Now grow some trophies and make people take females before they get a crack at those trophies and then you would see some dead deer.  Really, What am i thinking..Ny will never do something that smart!!

• Like 1

Really bow hunters in general need to shoot more doe, seems everyone waits for a good buck...thus enter the crossbow... I know a lot of hunter that report doe take when tags are not filled(thinking they are helping the herd.) Lots of deer is not a good thing.. again DMP are issued to a large area dmu's. If your local herd is suffering don't shoot a doe.. you can manage your own area better than the Dec, if you stay within the law using permits available. My own place I try to get 10 doe removed every year..keeps population stable. If i have to I invite more people in, especially muzzloader to hit that number . Deer move and they are not your deer..I have bucks I have multiple pictures of get shot on neighboring properties. To minimises thaI leave a sanctuary or. But I don't get mad if a deer wanders off my property ...everyone buys a licence and is entitle to shoot what they are happy with.

• Like 2

I agree that they should allow people to use DMPs if they are killing the does, but it is a slippery slope.

The limit for the two consigned DMPs is stupid imo, but I also understand why they do that. I think they should offer a similar program to 8C or other units. Shoot a doe, gather evidence in some fashion, and get a DMP reissued. That way they can monitor the extra take beyond the alloted DMP tags and not deal with consignment issues.

They do this on Long Island. Shoot a doe and go back for a new permit. They are more than happy to give them out. You have to bring the deer to the DEC station. They look it over and weigh it. Years past we would wait on the does and not shoot for a number of reasons. For the last few years I tell my gang shoot the first nice doe you see. This is important for hunters who travel a distance to their camp. You never know when you hold out on those permits and then it happens that you can't make it back to camp or all you see is yearlings. Opening morning by 10:00 we had three doe and one buck hanging.

• Like 2

The trick is finding enough hunters who will fill them. I don't come close to filling all mine,super sportsman plus 2 dmaps,because I don't need that much meat.

It's just me and the wife at home now. Two deer are plenty for us and frankly I give a bunch of the ground away. Sure I take a deer here and there to give away,but now much work am I willing to do to give them away,and I'd rather sit and wait for a buck of shootable size then,take a doe for another.

What we need is more hunters,not more tags per hunter .

But don't worry what with crossbows now legal,I d imagine all the deer will be killed with in 2 or 3 days and the dec's goal will be exceeded........

I can't stand the "I'll wait for a big buck I'm too lazy to shoot more does."

In this state you can drop a doe and continue to wait around for your antlers.

Then you want more slob hunters to pressure the deer more and somehow that will result in more deer harvests?

That's what we need an expansion to the opening-day-only orange army to shoot more yearling bucks.

Finally you take a shot at xbows which in fact will bring in some new hunters that you are requesting.

Population management is the DECs #1 priority of its deer management plan and is practically the general publics only reason to tolerate hunting.

Fill DMPs early and often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

I can't stand the "I'll wait for a big buck I'm too lazy to shoot more does."

In this state you can drop a doe and continue to wait around for your antlers.

Then you want more slob hunters to pressure the deer more and somehow that will result in more deer harvests?

That's what we need an expansion to the opening-day-only orange army to shoot more yearling bucks.

Finally you take a shot at xbows which in fact will bring in some new hunters that you are requesting.

Population management is the DECs #1 priority of its deer management plan and is practically the general publics only reason to tolerate hunting.

Fill DMPs early and often.

People hunt for different reasons. That's the great thing about hunting. You can do what pleases you within the confines of the sport.

People hunt for different reasons. That's the great thing about hunting. You can do what pleases you within the confines of the sport.

People can choose to hunt for different reasons, but the state agency has 1 main reason and that coincides with the public's at large. Buck that and soon you won't have any buck at all.

Edited by Meat Manager

For the life of me, I can't see xbows bringing too many people into the sport.  If any, it will literally be only a handful of people which will be insignificant in the scheme of things.  Most of the people who will take up xbows will be gun hunters, who somehow think xbow hunting will make things easier for them in comparison to compound bows.  Many will probably give it up after a few years when they find out it wasn't as easy as they first thought.  LOL

I completely agree with your second point.  If anyone really thinks the DEC gives one hoot if the buck you kill is a 10 point compared to a spike, you are sadly mistaken.  The antler restriction garbage is nothing but a pacifier to the cry babies who can't kill a decent buck and think AR's will be their salvation.

• Like 2

For the life of me, I can't see xbows bringing too many people into the sport. If any, it will literally be only a handful of people which will be insignificant in the scheme of things. Most of the people who will take up xbows will be gun hunters, who somehow think xbow hunting will make things easier for them in comparison to compound bows. Many will probably give it up after a few years when they find out it wasn't as easy as they first thought. LOL

I completely agree with your second point. If anyone really thinks the DEC gives one hoot if the buck you kill is a 10 point compared to a spike, you are sadly mistaken. The antler restriction garbage is nothing but a pacifier to the cry babies who can't kill a decent buck and think AR's will be their salvation.

I think it will bring some old guys back to archery season...that's all I meant.

Anyone who thinks the state gives a flying whatever about "hunting tradition," is also sadly mistaken.

Take a look at what's happening in the places where hunters can't get it done...hired hands and thousands of $$$ to kill 20 deer. Some municipalities preferring to neuter their herd than allow hunting.

Edited by Meat Manager

Anyone know of a food for the hungry place that accepts deer donations in Erie/ niagara county? I pass plenty of doe's cause it's just me, don't need that much meat!

The check point that is open on rt.16 every opening day weekend is a drop off spot for deer donations . We stopped there on year and they had some deer off to the side and we asked if those were deer taken illegally that were confiscated and he told us it was donated deer. Thats all the info i have other then that one time , hopefully someone else can chime in with more info. Im sure the DEC would have have more information if there is other spots doing it as well.

People can choose to hunt for different reasons, but the state agency has 1 main reason and that coincides with the public's at large. Buck that and soon you won't have any buck at all.

If the state has 1 main reason, they'd be enforcing things a little bit differently, don't you think?

I don't see any doe required harvests if you buy a tag.