What calibers have you taken deer with..?

Pygmy

30 odd six.

Been trying with the Blackpowder (.50), just not yet.

Some really strange calibers some of you used... .22lr, 32 special. Is that a .32 handgun round?

I would like to hear the stories behind those.

32 special is a lever action round ...similiar to the 30-30...wish I had one.

An old aquaintence of mine, now deceased, had a Win. M94 in 32 Win special.

It was rifle,not a carbine, with a fairly long barrel ( probably 24") and a half magazine.

I've often wondered what happened to that rifle after he passed on..I'd sure like to HAVE it... One of the coolest M94s I have encountered.

44 Mag in model 94 AE 2 bucks 2000-2010

308 H & K 1 buck 2007 Missed one with this gun so upsetting... Last time I used this gun.

My only 3 deer...

Missed with the 30-06, my first gun. I really want to get that gun bloody so I can retire it to a nice glass case. Man does this gun show character, 23 years of it... But it shoots excellent savage model 110...

Still have yet to shoot at a deer with my bow 13 years, hopefully this is the year I get a chance at a good buck!

Edited by NFA-ADK

My Uncle had one in a 94. I think it had the big lever loop and the saddle ring. I always loved that gun as a young kid and maybe my young memory isn't right. My cousin got it when my Uncle died and he sold it for gas and beer money.....cousin never hunted.

Culver..Your uncle wasn't nicknamed " The Duke" was he ? <<s**t eating grin>>....

You say your cousin spent the money on BEER ? Well....At least he didn't WASTE it...<sigh>....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Bow

20ga

12ga

I don't want to jinks myself but I can honestly say I never hit a deer with a car. Very close a few times. Wouldn't have minded so much if it happened when I owned a ford aerostar. About all that pos would have been good for.

Bow

20ga

12ga

I don't want to jinks myself but I can honestly say I never hit a deer with a car. Very close a few times. Wouldn't have minded so much if it happened when I owned a ford aerostar. About all that pos would have been good for.

I have lived all my life in a rural area with a large deer population, and I have done a LOT of driving around at dusk, dawn, and at night.. I had plenty of close calls but never hit my first deer until I was in my late 30s..Then I hit two more within a year...Go figure..I am ALWAYS watching for deer and I slow down when I see an eye or whatever..All three deer I hit just came out of nowhere.. I am paranoid now, driving around in low light periods, even though it has been years since I hit one..

• 11 years later...

A blast thread from the past, and what I can recollect from the past 60 years plus,  Still have some safe queens that have yet to earn their stripes. The vast majority of my Deer hunting and kills were with 12 ga slugs and for rifle my 280 Remington. Bottom line all what I used killed deer with no problem with a well placed shot.

Al

==================================

22Lr

222 Remington

220 Swift

243 Winchester

6mm Remington

25-05 Remington

250-3000 Savage

280 Remington

338 Winchester mag

357 Mag handgun

357 Mag rifle

44 Mag handgun 

44 Mag rifle

47-70 Government

20 ga slug

12 ga slug

6.5 Creedmoor

45 cal muzzleloader

50 cal muzzleloader

• Like 4

4 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Wow, this is digging deep into the archives. A lot of names from the past, long history.

That was interesting looking at all those old names. A lot of those people used to be pretty prolific posters here with fantastic topics. Where did they all go?

12 guage

20 guage

243 rifle

270 rifle

308 rifle

308 encore pistol

30/06 rifle

41  revolver

44 mag revolver

45 lc revolver

45 muzzloader

45/70 rifle