Who would

Dom

I agree.. but imagine it 3-4 years into it.. that's where it gets really "interesting"

I'm there now....shoot a doe most years when I feel like it, land I'm on is slim for big deer and thats all I'm interested in......have freezers full of beef and pork, so the meat thing doesn't really matter to me, just adds variety.

If I had drawn the bull Elk tag I wanted......I was not bothering this year.

I am talking to a guy about a landowner Elk cow tag now.......that gets interesting as its late; Dec or early Jan.

If it was during or before our season....I'd blow our NY season off this year.

Right now, I guess I'm buying NY tags.

What??? and who said anything about conservative measures?? C-o-n-s-e-r-v-a-t-i-o-n has little to do with grocery stores.

What I was saying is we now have the option to hunt to feed/supliment where in that time most had to feed there family's that way.So I'm not suprised that our herd number's have increased.

After living where I do now full time for the last 10 years I have seen the heard decline in numbers and size.The amount of Unessary doe permits that were handed out 5 years ago and later rely did a a job on them + the jacking that goes on.Still a few active farms around and they get there nussince permits every year.There are not any 3 year or older deer around any more.that I can see.So with that no more does for me and only an 8 pointer if one comes in range.

What I was saying is we now have the option to hunt to feed/supliment where in that time most had to feed there family's that way.So I'm not suprised that our herd number's have increased.

With all due respect.. that had little to do with it.. like i said.. you need to go back and check it out.

As for the original question for doe only ... that would be rough. I like to hunt but doe hunting only does not do much for me. Granted, mature doe can be very challenging but the excitement level doesn't even come close to a mature buck for me. Excitement level is low = 2/3 out of 10 and I would move to another state immediately

Conversation wise I agree with taking does and managing the quality of the herd. It is part of a hunter's responsibility to manage the herd and I occasionally will harvest one.

As for the hunting mature bucks only question, I don't think this is is feasible from a management perspective. However with this said this is what I hunt for. The challenge of mature whitetails and excitement level is off the chart. I wish they would bring antler restrictions to my WMU.

Edited by Woodsman20

If doe hunting only.... I'd be there!

If buck hunting only... I'd be there!

I enjoy both - hunting & venison... which is why I hunt.

I also like to be in the woods to just enjoy the smells, the sounds, and the feeling of being closer to our great Creator.

So... just sell me the license - I'm hunting whatever is legal :dancer:

• Like 2

If doe hunting only.... I'd be there!

If buck hunting only... I'd be there!

I enjoy both - hunting & venison... which is why I hunt.

I also like to be in the woods to just enjoy the smells, the sounds, and the feeling of being closer to our great Creator.

So... just sell me the license - I'm hunting whatever is legal :dancer:

Likewise i'm going hunting.

How many of you would still hunt if it was big bucks only??

If that means big bodied bucks, I am there. If it means big antlered mediocre bucks, probably not so much. As I have stated before I hunt big bucks, but it is more body size than antler mass.

• Like 1

I would also. I am a meat hunter those horns tast weird in soup. They are nice to look at but not the reason I am out there. I have to say 90% of hunting to me is the scouting seeing the fishers and racoons walk by, comrodery at hunting camp and stories.. Don't get me wrong seeing big bucks and having the opportunity at them is great but not the reason I am hunting.

Inspite of all the meat-hunting talk, I suspect that just about all of us are in the game for some measure of challenge. That's the main reason I go hunting instead of going to the supermarket. And the current measure of hunting challenge/success happens to be antlers. Like it or not, that's what I see and hear when I watch TV and talk to fellow hunters and even here on this forum.

But when you think about it, there is nothing inherently more intelligent about an old buck vs. and old doe. The only real additional challenge to a buck relates strictly to their numbers. Because just about everybody buys into the antler thing, the buck are a lot less numerous and that is where the mistaken idea comes from that they are somehow super-smart and elusive.

Think about it ..... Even older bucks become fairly stupid when rut rolls around. They are the only ones that run around advertising their patterns and presence with scrapes and rubs. Does don't do that. Does tend to travel in small groups. A pretty smart adaptation that puts a lot of eyes, ears and noses all working for safety. Bucks are the ones that run through the woods bouncing off trees in pursuit of does .... Smart behavior? .... I don't think so. So why is that old buck with big antlers so hard to get? ..... Simple, there just aren't a whole lot of them around.

So, if does became the only legal prey around, chances are pretty good that the scarcity factor of the challenge would reverse. At that point, we would be hunting the more challenging gender, the doe. I think you would find deer hunting just got a bit harder with a whole lot more challenge.

Doc..Challenge.. ?....REALLY ??..

I know that many hunters are inspired by somewhat of a "competitive" nature, whether it is trying to get a bigger buck than the average guy or just trying to outwit the animals themselves.

However, I think many of us, probably mostly us old farts, are there more for just plain enjoyment and recreation rather trying to fullfill any kind of challenge.

I just enjoy the freedom of the woods and the adrenaline surge of seeing a deer or a turkey or a squirrel, and I enjoy having a deer or two and perhaps some small game and birds for my freezer.. I honestly don't identify with any sense of "challenge".. It's enough of a challenge for me anymore just to wake up on the right side of the GRASS...lol...

There was a time when I was younger man...I did some unguided wilderness hunts in Alaska and other wilderness areas that would scare the CRAP out of me to attempt today.. I do treasure those memories..

Nothing wrong with meeting a challenge..I have a friend in Florida who fills four gobbler tags every year with a recurve and a longbow.. Now THAT is a challenge..hehehe..

I'm happy just to be able to spend some time in the woods, and hopefully get enough action so that I can keep enjoying the game meat that I have enjoyed all my life..

Doc are you saying the one (me included) that are meat hunters aren't?

I don't think he's saying that at all.. I think we all know that.. meat hunter or not... most every hunter is on the look out for antlers. And even the anti AR fellas and gals still would pull the trigger on a bigger buck if confronted with the choice of small buck, doe, fawn or big buck all standing together in the field. It's what most hunters talk about and more than just most hunters dream about.. no matter what they might say. Besides... all deer have meat on them don't they? I am a meat hunter too.. I just like mine with a side order of bigger antlers whenever possible.

Edited by nyantler

If a spoon was the only weapon allowed and mature bucks or doe were the only prey, I would be in the middle of the ADK with a spoon on opening day trying to figure out how to get a deer that day. Challenge is one of the reasons I hunt where I do, I am told it is impossible, not enough deer, to much area to cover and the list goes on.

Love the challenge of:

1. Finding deer tracks and interpreting sign
  2. Hiking till my body is sore, then doing it again the next day and the next, repeat till success or enough sign is found. (Thank you advil)
  3. If stalking deer in deep woods solo with a bow is not challenging im not sure what is... Hunting does not have to be challenging, you can shoot from the window of your cabin if you want or pay for a hunt, to each his own... I hunt for the challenge, that is why I pass many deer in the southern zone. Hunting is what you make of it. I love hunting rifle season in a wall tent like our four fathers might have, the tent set up alone is a challenge lol. Thankfully for me food is never a challenge as we have great cooks that have dinner ready when I return.
  4. Getting a buck where it is said to be almost impossible, the feeling of accomplishment is like winning 1st place.

If deer hunting was banned in NY I would move...(Prob to Maine) No other beast has the majestic quality of prey a deer will hold for me. In my book they are the most beautiful and illusive animal I can hunt. While some love hunting turkey and others go for wild coyote hunting, big bucks will always get my heart pumping. Deer are nice but a big monarch buck is majestic IMO... 9 weeks 4 days and counting till Sept 27th, shot a 265 today at our 3D shoot, plenty of excuses for that score, few 20's saved me in the end lol.

Doc..Challenge.. ?....REALLY ??..

Well, I did mention that I was talking about most of us. Certainly the down-and-outers who are in situations where they have to rely on wild meat for survival perhaps may not be counted in that. And maybe they would find it useful to take as much challenge out of their hunting as possible. However, I wouldn't doubt that even a certain percentage of those enjoy a challenge involved in hunting.

I also allow that there are some who simply enjoy using hunting as an excuse to just sit in the woods, and the gun part of it is simply something to make it all "look" right. I've run into a few that have that as their version of hunting.

But yeah, I do believe that most of us engage in hunting because it poses more of a challenge than heading off to the supermarket, and because there is some measure of pride of accomplishment involved when successful.